• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Boeing 787 Dreamliner Flightdeck!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We've all heard the counter term...'box office'...

That said, have your companies put it in their manuals that the 'flight deck' will be referred to as the 'cockpit'. I guarantee even Boeing would be happy to make appropriate changes!

It's so pathetic that we in the US are SO worried about offending people that we can't use a term like 'cockpit'.

Pure rambling.....

xrated said:
Gotta love the control column yolk. That thing between your legs for 8 hr plus legs. When is Boeing going to get a clue and go with a side stick?

Yeah, get that friggin EGG yolk out of my lap! Those things are reserved for brunch and Halloween with teenagers!

Seriously, if you're going to bitch about a control scheme at least have the common sense to get the terminology right.

It's a YOKE, fercrissakes, as in the yokes used to guide work animals in the past.

And I for one am all aboard the yoke-between-my-legs bandwagon. A yoke between my legs means that the airplane does what I want; a sidestick means that some Frog progammer has decided what the airplane will do when I command a certain input.

I'll take a rotten, messy YOKE any day.

(Lockheed, Boeing, McDonnell-Douglas yoke bias showing).

You know what they say about the Airbus pilots "they can't fly for sh!t, but they can type 80 words a minute".

AA

All in fun people :)

"Cockpit" dosn't have anything to do with cock fights. It's where the Cockswain used to stand duty on ships.

And I don't think having the yoke between your legs in the 787 will make the airplane go where you want it to go more than an Airbus, the 787 is fly-by-wire. Kind of like keeping the flight engineer on the DC-9. No reason to do it, but hey, that's the way they've always done it.

I like to think of Boeing like General Motors in the 1970s, not updating their cars because no matter what they put out, people bought them. Then Toyota showed up and pimp-slapped them with new and efficient designs.

For Chrissakes, the temperature control system I saw on a brand-new B737 was straight out of 1950--it was used on the B707! The 757s are better, but there are a lot of holdover parts and design flaws that do stem from FIFTY YEARS AGO.

The fly by wire system on the Boeing is not the same as the Airbus, as it relates to what the computer will allow you to do. And by the way the DC-9 never had a flight engineer.

xrated said:
Yah, but look at all the leg room.

Airbus should go back to making the sidestick out of wood too.:p

So why don't the put the yoke on a horizontal shaft like a C-172??? Oh yeah, those MFD's are in the way.

And why does the FO have a HUD?

It's impressive what designer seats will do to the looks of the COCKPIT. :D

Looks like a G550 - which is a good thing. And it's a Boeing which means that it has good control laws and no French engineer designed it to protect itself from the pilots.

GV

Latest resources

Back