Boeing 787 Dreamliner Flightdeck!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FR8mastr said:
And by the way the DC-9 never had a flight engineer.

Sure it did. I watched an ancient video during a training class that chronicled a DC-9 (I didn't recognize the airline name) that diverted on the way to the Bahamas, changed their minds, missed two approaches and ditched.

The interesting part was that one of the flight attendants got the raft inflated INSIDE the cabin and it was the Flight Engineer (!) who had a pen-knife (!!) who deflated it and saved lots o' lives.

Sure it did. I watched an ancient video during a training class that chronicled a DC-9 (I didn't recognize the airline name) that diverted on the way to the Bahamas, changed their minds, missed two approaches and ditched.

Not quite.
They missed a couple of approaches over St. Marteen, then diverted to their alternate, St. Croix, and ran out of gas on the way.

CSY Mon said:
Not quite.
They missed a couple of approaches over St. Marteen, then diverted to their alternate, St. Croix, and ran out of gas on the way.

They diverted, the station called them, said they were above mins, they diverted BACK to the island, missed the first, cheated on the second, missed that and ditched on their way to the alternate. Weather was actually believed to be less than 1/4 mile in very heavy rain. NDB approach, how do you like those odds?

It's all coming back to me now, except for the name of the airline.

Last edited:
radarlove said:

The interesting part was that one of the flight attendants got the raft inflated INSIDE the cabin and it was the Flight Engineer (!) who had a pen-knife (!!) who deflated it and saved lots o' lives.

I am in training now and just watched this video a few days ago. They had referred to the extra guy as a navigator throughout the video i believe. If that helps? I think all the crew lived. They put the bloody people on the raft and slides so the sharks would not come.

"I don't know why they wouldn't want to use a word like COCKPIT, especially with all those flight attendants going in and out of there all the time" -George Carlin

Little silly to bring it up, but for the record, the ONA DC-9 flight that crashed had a navigater (sitting in the cabin), not an FE.

Edited due to expired prozac prescription.

All better now.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back