Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ski-N-Fly

Discount Airline Pilot Guy

"Recently, Pilots have been telling me that our cost advantage relative to our competition is widening. I am not sure where this information originated but unfortunately, nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, over the last 5 years alone our once massive cost advantage which was 20% has quickly shrunk to 13." (source: VP Ops email to Pilots, Aug 2, 2013)

While we are fully expecting to be underwhelmed by the conclusions of the PAR Team, we thought we'd help provide a little guidance for the VP Ops.

As of 3Q 2012 DOT statistics, Jet Blue CASM advantage had extended to 28.74% vs. Peer Average airlines.

Also, the MIT Airline Data Project has produced an excruciatingly thorough and comparative analysis of airline productivity, revenue, traffic count and total cockpit cost advantage/disadvantage, since 1995.

According to the smart folks at MIT, the VP Ops Ford & Harrison talking points statements simply don't hold water. Let's compare Jet Blue Pilot costs vs. some peer set pilot costs, accounting for total compensation, averaged from 2010-2012:

- Jet Blue Pilots work for a 28% discount compared to American.

- Jet Blue Pilots work for a 32% discount compared to Delta.

- Jet Blue Pilots work for a 21% discount compared to United.

- Jet Blue Pilots work for a 17% discount compared to Southwest.

- Jet Blue Pilots work for a 19% discount compared to Alaska.

Since our total CASM and Pilot Cost advantage is already huge, and if our peer set will be getting on average raises of 16% in 2014, why does the PAR team insist upon outsourcing codesharing massive amounts of OUR flying in trade for a sub-par pay increase??

Why also did the ELT feel the need to STRIP our "unsustainable" health care away while the company enjoys such a large cost gap vs. our Peer Airline set?

Numbers don't lie...

If you are looking for places to cut costs, we suggest you try another department..

Take Management, for example:

- Jet Blue managers work for a 15% premium compared to American.

- Jet Blue managers work for a 30% premium compared to Delta.

- Jet Blue managers work for a 10% premium compared to Southwest.

But Wait, There's More..

See this:

- Our manager to pilot ratio is equal to that of American.

- Our manager to pilot ratio is 30% greater than United.

- Our manager to pilot ratio is 30% greater than Southwest.

Don't even THINK about using Jet Blue Pilots as scapegoats in a discussion about airline costs.

Be Informed: Read the PVC updates and warnings about the upcoming PAR Team results. Check out:

www.bluetruthpilots.com

Get Involved: Support PVC candidates in the current election who will speak up and represent PILOT interests.

Stay Engaged: If we haven't spoken to you yet, please send your contact information to us at:

[email protected]

Sign and send in an interest card!

If you don't have a card, contact us or download and print one from:

www.bluetruthpilots.com/128.html

Information is presented with every effort to be accurate and factual. BlueTruth opinions are editorial in nature and not intended to injure or defame in any manner. Readers are encouraged to do their own research and draw their own conclusions.

http://bluetruthpilots.com

Last edited:
Stop it....you are scaring me.

Dave smiles at me in the hallway... He's looking out for me and my best interest. I know cause sandy said so. My chief pilot told me so too, I don't know why he's holding onto that seniority number at us air...

Discount Airline Pilot Guy

- Jet Blue Pilots work for a 28% discount compared to American.

- Jet Blue Pilots work for a 32% discount compared to Delta.

- Jet Blue Pilots work for a 21% discount compared to United.

- Jet Blue Pilots work for a 17% discount compared to Southwest.

- Jet Blue Pilots work for a 19% discount compared to Alaska.

http://bluetruthpilots.com
How come Spirit, USAirways, Virgin America, and Allegient are not listed here?

They are not in our peer set as outlined and agreed with by mgmt.

Spirit/Virgin/Allegiant/Frontier aren't in the peer set, but 700+ airplane legacies are? How big is Jetblue again?

Once your union vote passes and you eventually end up at the NMB for meetings, you can bet they will look at all A320 operators and not just legacy airlines.

Fine. In which case we'll weight airlines by the number of narrow-body pilots who are affected by those rates. By all means mix in VA, Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant. I'm pretty sure we have more pilots than all of those combined, much less any of the airlines in our peer set. Either we're a "destination carrier" or we're not. If we are, then we ought to be compensated as such, period. This means either disregarding airlines that aren't considered destinations - compared with JetBlue - or giving them appropriate weight. Either way is fine, but they can't have it both ways.

Latest resources

Back