Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DanielWebster said:
Like your opinion matters, Mr. 200 Hour, C172Heavy!?!? Can you say "geek."

When you get some flight time, maybe you'll understand that pilots are not paid to clean f*ing airplanes. It's time we take back this PROFESSION.

What am I telling you for? You probably still rub one out everytime you see a King Air taxi by.....

see ya, jr.

ps. nice 'funny' at the end of your post. Yucka-yucka! Duh.

Dude, the "profession" is getting people or boxes from point A to point B as safely and efficiently as possible. And that's a what you're getting paid for no matter what your position in the crew is, Capt, FO, FA, or ground crew. Everyone's trying to accomplish the same thing, so why not do what it takes to keep the plane moving? It's not just about driving the bus. I'll bet you won't forget how to shoot an ILS if you pick up some trash, and you even may help make the difference between a late and an on-time departure.

BTW, who did you say you fly for? If your attitude is the norm, I want to be sure your outfit doesn't have a resume from me. As for you JB guys, you in the market for a slightly used Herk guy? If so, let Dean know - he's got my number :D.

The Bar

DanielWebster said:
Nice going, keep lowering the bar boys! I guarantee you that people will come to expect it of you, and before you know it, it will be one of your duties in the operations manual.

Suckers, is a better word.

You sir (and I use that word loosely) are the sucker. You wouldn't be able to jump over the Blue Bar with a boost. Please, do us a favor and keep your weeny commuter job and stay away from anything that would involve other human beings. You are pathetic.

kaufhaus said:
Dude, the "profession" is getting people or boxes from point A to point B as safely and efficiently as possible. And that's a what you're getting paid for no matter what your position in the crew is, Capt, FO, FA, or ground crew. Everyone's trying to accomplish the same thing, so why not do what it takes to keep the plane moving? It's not just about driving the bus. I'll bet you won't forget how to shoot an ILS if you pick up some trash, and you even may help make the difference between a late and an on-time departure.

BTW, who did you say you fly for? If your attitude is the norm, I want to be sure your outfit doesn't have a resume from me. As for you JB guys, you in the market for a slightly used Herk guy? If so, let Dean know - he's got my number :D.

Want a hint, leave that "Point A to Point B" attitude at home if you get an interview. It's a death blow, if you want to fly for JB that is.

DanielWebster said:
Nice going, keep lowering the bar boys! I guarantee you that people will come to expect it of you, and before you know it, it will be one of your duties in the operations manual.

Suckers, is a better word.

Intruder One, is that you? The resemblance is uncanny. :eek:

I always felt good helping out by going back and helping the F/A's clean up a little. And to a person, they always, always said thank you. We practice CRM as often as we can. What better way to break down barriers than to go "above and beyond" to help your fellow employee and the company you earn a good living from. It never seemed beneath me, nor does helping my wife around the house, or a neighbor with his yard. It's called common courtesy, and team concept. And on a late night arrival into PVD several years back, with no ground crew to unload the bags (at least for another hour), my F/O actually got a kick out of helping me unload the cargo bin of a 737. It made a positive impression on him. Sometimes you can move mountains, one inch at a time.

As I've heard so many times, and believe, JetBlue does it right.

DL

aroundtheblock said:

My reply was that if a pilot chooses to help it should be his choice not a requirement for the job. I stated I helped out at the commuter level. Many pilots will seek a major airline for not only the better pay, but also the better work rules. ... If I choose to go above and beyond my pilot duties, which I do all the time, it should be that... my choice.

Aroundtheblock,

The customer is the one with the choice, not you.

If the customer wants to fly on an airline with good service, he/she will. As a pilot, where do you draw the line? Do you just fly the plane? Do you help customers with their questions or is that just a customer service rep job? Do you help lift their bags, or is that just a flight attendant job? Do you assist passengers off/on the plane, or just let them fend for themselves? Do you bring their too big "carryon" down to the pit, or wait for the ramp guy to do it? Do you proactively find a mechanic to help fix a writeup, or do you sit and wait for the mechanic to come?

Do you see where I am going with this? Helping out the flight attendants in the back is only a small piece of the puzzle. If you are too good to help an F/A, are you too good to help a customer? Are you too good to help your fellow employees to get a plane out on time? If so, the customer will go elsewhere. Check out the majors right now (including my employer), the customers are going elsewhere in droves, precisely because of this attitude.

Swimming upstream
Skirt

put on?

This has to be a put on, no one could really be as out of it as D. Webster.

JayDub said:
the aircraft, crew and mission are my responsibility. I will take care of them before all else. Cleaning the aircraft rates after flight planning, mx issues, etc. Usually on a day-to-day basis, there is never a conflict.

Do you work for Delta, JayDub? I used to ramp for Delta in 3 different stations. In my time there, I ramped Delta, Delta Shuttle, and Commair. I can tell you that not once did a Delta mainline pilot ever help clean (We didn't clean Delta Shuttle, so I don't know who cleaned), nor did 90% of the DL mainline FA's.

The FA's would nap in coach, using the blankets and pillows. Then they would complain to my supervisor that we didn't fold all the blankets and put away all the pillows. Of couse we didn't, you were using them! The pilots were actually better. They would sit in first and read the paper while we cleaned around them. They would always say "hi" and smile at us (you'd be surprised how easy it is to make someone's day a bit better). Then they'd always make sure to throw away their paper (or maybe they just took it into the cockpit). I wished the pilots would occasionally clean (it would result in a 15-20% reduction in turn times), but it was the FA's that were the problem. They acted like us rampers weren't even human beings, and were just as worthy as the trash we picked up. The more junior the FA, the worse we were treated.

So, for all you Delta guys, if you insist on not cleaning, fine, that's between you and your company. But if you could kindly explain to your FA's that rampers are humans, that'd be great. The 10% of FA's who would clean were awesome. These were the same girls who would offer us a water or something. Little things, yeah. But these make a big difference in moral. And I can assure you that if two planes want to be pushed at the same time, the one with the crew on it that cleans or offers us water will be pushed first EVERY time.

dlredline said:
on a late night arrival into PVD several years back, with no ground crew to unload the bags (at least for another hour), my F/O actually got a kick out of helping me unload the cargo bin of a 737.

You're DL, right, 'DL'? I guess I just didn't ever work your plane in PVD. I can't ever think of a time we weren't unloading w/in 5 minutes, nor a time I saw DL pilots work the bin! I guess there's an exception to every rule.

-Boo!

You JB guys crack me up. The first post went something like...."we all clean the plane, CEO, pilots and station manager, and our jumpseaters (even offline) do to." Then when you realize how ridiculous you sound you change your tune to......."well, if you want to you can.....blah, blah, blah."

The fact is, you are pilots, not cleaners. Let the freakin cleaners clean the plane. Is it really that hard to comprehend????

Or do you want it to be expected of us all someday, cause JB pilots lowered the bar so low. NO THANKS.

God, you guys are kool aid drinkers over there......reminds me of the People's Express pilots back in the day.

DanielWebster said:
You JB guys crack me up. The first post went something like...."we all clean the plane, CEO, pilots and station manager, and our jumpseaters (even offline) do to." Then when you realize how ridiculous you sound you change your tune to......."well, if you want to you can.....blah, blah, blah."

The fact is, you are pilots, not cleaners. Let the freakin cleaners clean the plane. Is it really that hard to comprehend????

Or do you want it to be expected of us all someday, cause JB pilots lowered the bar so low. NO THANKS.

God, you guys are kool aid drinkers over there......reminds me of the People's Express pilots back in the day.

Yes, kool-aid drinkers for sure, and it's tastes good Pal. As a matter of fact, I was sipping some as I was browsing the latest stock quotes. It's not a ridiculous sound Buddy Boy. Just go ahead and call me a cleaner that makes $197 an hour and dabbles in flying a plane now and then.

Your a moron. Enjoy your furlough.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back