'Blue cleaning crew

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stillaboo

Just caught the Jet Blue CEO (yeah, I fogot his name already :)) on '60 Minutes II'. Saw some video of 'Blue pilots cleaning the plane, along with a station manager.

Do JB station managers and pilots normally clean the cabin after a leg, or was this something special for the cameras?

I do know the CEO does FA duty sometimes.

-Boo!

Yes, pilots and station managers regularly clean the planes during the turns. Our jumpseaters (even offliners) also know the drill. The only time the flight crew doesn't clean is if the aircraft RONs.

And we wonder why JB does so well. Man, I once suggested to my Captain that we help out the girls in the back when we were late and quick turning. His response, "pilots don't clean airplanes. FA's do."

I can understand not wanting to do it (especially if you ever were an FO on the Beech), but, if it helps the company . . .

Thanks for the reply. Can't wait to work for you guys, even if I have to clean :)

-Boo!

good for you guys!

So long as all your "pilot stuff" is done, why not help out and get the thing ready to roll again!!

good attitudes!

By the way, best darn airline I ever rode on. I once rode you guys to Long Beach. Shared the hotel shuttle with the crew. When I said I flew in on JB, your Capt asked how the ride was, thanked me for flying JB, and said how proud they were of thier company. I never mentioned I was a pilot or anything....just a real class act.

Pilots cleaning airplanes???

Way to go guys. Keep lowering the bar. Why not throw some bags while you're at it. Or better yet, on your days off, why not go in and stuff V-files. Pretty soon JetBlue pilots will have to learn to hand out chips and pour drinks in order to pass the type ride.

I was never trained in any of that in FLIGHT school. Way to use that PILOT license B6 guys.

In spite of the impression you get from 60 minutes, JB pilots are not required to clean the cabin. Some pilots don't, most do, time permitting. Why? I could give you some smoke about saving some time on turns and saving some money on cleaning staff, but that's only peripheral. In fact, usually the pilots are busy saying goodbye to the customers, making a lunch run or performing a walk around, which doesn't leave much time to do much more than a handful of rows before the cabin is clean.

So why do it? Team building. The cabin crew doesn't see the pilots much at all anymore, us being locked in the cockpit 99% of the time, and there's nothing that breaks down walls faster than getting your hands dirty for a couple of minutes. It does wonders for communication and leadership when you demonstrate, even for a token two or three minutes, that you're not too good to help out in some small way.

You still feel that's degrading the pilot profession, Daniel Webster? There's more to being an airline pilot than flying the plane. Back to school for you.

Danny,
It has nothing to do with our pilot's license. By the way, Danny Boy, everyone here with one of those licenses get a whole lot of stock options. Check the stock price, my little Einstein, and you'll see why we do whatever we can. It's called ownership. Something you'll never understand.

I agree with BlueDude's assessment of the cleaning issue.

While I am provoked with those of us who refuse to clean (I have heard "you'll notice that I don't clean...I was hired as a pilot..." from one of our Captains, for example), it simply isn't all that hard, lengthy or dirty. We leave any really nasty stuff (biohazard type) to the Pros from Dover, and that seldom happens in the first place.

To sum it up, I use a philosophy that has worked well for me during my married life and most of all through fatherhood:

"If cleaning my jet (or insert any not-so-fun task here) is the worst thing I have to deal with today, then it's not a bad day..."

Remember the big picture, Daniel Webster. It's about enjoying your job!

Don't let this idiot get to you guys..... just look at his profile. Hey webster, why don't you let us know who your work for and when you PFT..........yeah, your probably one of those guys that has had a 121 blanket under him since your FLIGHT school days. Get a clue, you idiot........ I don't know if anybody remembers the baggage handlers strike in Tenerefe South in 99. Thats when those guys would put one bag on the belt watch it make it to the cart then put the next one on...... that was for a 180 plane...... man the guys eyes were huge when he saw me jump in there with the captain and unload the whole plane. Great workout and the look on their faces was priceless....... help clean the airplane was the easy part.......gotta do what you gotta do...... Webster.... go back to school and stay there....... your probably one of the best examples of bringing the idustry down.

Latest resources

Back