• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

'Blue cleaning crew

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you think cleaning airplanes is beneath you, it's not because you're a pilot, it's because you're a prima donna. Try doing some real labor sometime in your life and your attitude should change.

DanielWebster said:
Like your opinion matters, Mr. 200 Hour, C172Heavy!?!? Can you say "geek."

When you get some flight time, maybe you'll understand that pilots are not paid to clean f*ing airplanes. It's time we take back this PROFESSION.

What am I telling you for? You probably still rub one out everytime you see a King Air taxi by.....

see ya, jr.

ps. nice 'funny' at the end of your post. Yucka-yucka! Duh.

Lighten up Francis!:D

Re: Pilots cleaning airplanes???

DanielWebster said:
Way to go guys. Keep lowering the bar. Why not throw some bags while you're at it. Or better yet, on your days off, why not go in and stuff V-files. Pretty soon JetBlue pilots will have to learn to hand out chips and pour drinks in order to pass the type ride.

I was never trained in any of that in FLIGHT school. Way to use that PILOT license B6 guys.

Can't help myself I gotta say it...

You are a dumb Ass!!!!

I clean the airplane bathroom everytime I go in there and pick up trash in the jetway and anywhere I see it in any airport. You wont believe some of the looks of amazement passengers will give you just by picking up a McDonald's wrapper in the concourse. You don't have to work for JetBlue to have pride in your job, but if they can get on t.v. showing they are team players and have pride, good for them. That stuff sells tickets. I didn't see that 60 minutes show but it sounds like better advertisement than a paid commercial.

d@mn

It's people like DanielWebster and radiofly er that make me glad I went the corporate route.

Is cleaning your own house/apartment/car/etc...beneath you, too?

Well Danny,
Don't ever come groveling for a jumpseat if cleaning is beneath you. Of course, we wouldn't ask you to clean. But since our CEO, President, and just about everyone else does clean, you probably wouldn't want to jumpseat on such a demeaning airline.

Daniel Webster,

I'm assuming from the low number of posts you are new to this board. Going on that assumption, most people try to abstain from making derogatory comments concerning other people's choices and companies.

Certainly heated discussions arise, but in the end until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes, it's best not to sit in judgment. Anonymity is a mighty empowering tool to have on these boards, but most people show decorum and respect.

Leadership is commanded not demanded. Trite but true. And I assure you, JB pilots know the difference.

To everyone else, as usual happy landings.

I hit many roadblocks after I was first furloughed from a major and tried to get into the corporate flying realm. One of the walls that I had to break down was that I'd still be able to give great customer service even though I came from the compartmentalized "airline culture". At my former airline I used to clean the airplane during quick turns and would often times be given a strange look from the captains. It's sad.

I cleaned the airplanes because I knew that if I was paying good money for a ticket (which in turn paid my mortgage) I'd expect a clean airplane. It's that simple.

Many of us pilot types are pretty type-A. I know that my house and car are always in pretty good shape; why not my airborne office? If folding a few seatbelts and removing a couple of newpapers from the seatpockets are beneath you, maybe you need to rethink your career. Flying airplanes isn't just about flying a nice CATII ILS, it's about teamwork. CRM does extend beyond the cockpit door.

JetBlue has a definate recipe for sucess; 99% of that comes from the attitude of the employees. I just wish I got on the JetBlue bandwagon back when I was based in JFK and it was called "newair".

Hindsight's always 20/20

OK, you all may think that the blue Kool-aid has gone to my head, but I've actually come to enjoy cleaning the airplane. After a few months of practice, I've got a pretty good system and I think I do a pretty fine job cleaning the rows and picking up things others may have missed. I did it at first "to be part of the team." No complaints about doing it. I was happy to help, set a good example, quicken the turn, etc.

Now that I'm a captain I have a different viewpoint on cleaning airplanes. I feel more responsible for the success of every leg I fly. That means doing my best to motivate the entire crew to do an excellent job. That means doing everything I can to ensure that our customers have a good experience--including a clean airplane. I thrive on the satisfaction I get when people deplane and say things to me like, "This was my first flight on jetBlue and I loved it." The satisfaction is both short term--kudos for a good flight, and long term--confidence that our customers will return (with all the rewards of company growth, job security, increasing stock prices, etc.). I certainly don't think it is below me to help make their experience the best I can and cleaning airplanes is an easy way to help ensure our customer satisfaction and long term success.

Latest resources

Back