'Blue cleaning crew

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Blue Dude said:

So why do it? Team building. The cabin crew doesn't see the pilots much at all anymore, us being locked in the cockpit 99% of the time, and there's nothing that breaks down walls faster than getting your hands dirty for a couple of minutes. It does wonders for communication and leadership when you demonstrate, even for a token two or three minutes, that you're not too good to help out in some small way.

On the United Shuttle we used to all pitch in to get the job done. Sometimes it was the only way to get the plane out on time, because we had 25 minute turns. We had a great esprit de corp on the Shuttle. Never once did I here "that's not my job". If help was needed in the cabin or ramp, it made a huge impact if the pilot's lent a hand.

Shortly after 9/11 the Shuttle shut down and we were back to the "old way". Recently, on a tight turn, I went back to help the cabin cleaners and was growled at by the lead cleaner. He said "I don't do you job, so please don't do my job. If we're short staffed, then that is management's problem. This flight will go out late". Knowing that a pissing contest would ensue if I pursued, further delaying the flight, I went back to the cockpit frustrated.

No teamwork at United now. Gee, JetBlue does not even have cabin cleaners. Who is making money? Who is losing money? I think much of it is lack of teamwork and attitudes.

Frustrated
Skirt

!

At TWA it was not exactly "culture" to help the FAs clean but, myself and many other pilots would help, time permitting.

Why not? None of us are too good to not help our co-workers. Besides, there is nothing more uncomfortable than sitting in a first class seat, reading a free newspaper while the FAs try and clean around you. IF the turn is short or one is late, HELP OUT!

pilots and station managers regularly clean the planes during the turns. Our jumpseaters (even offliners) also know the drill.

I can guarantee you that if I was jumpseating on JetBlue, I would not clean the f*ing airplane when we landed. And I don't believe that many other pilots do either. I fly planes, I don't clean them.

You guys ever wonder how the cleaners union feels about you stealing their work?

You will never be required or expected to help us clean our airplanes if you are a commuter. As long as you have basic manners, you and your comrades will always be welcome on my plane. I won't hold a grudge against you because you are simply a product of the culture you were raised in.

I'd wager to say at least 50% of the commuting pilots and 80% of the FA's at least clean up the row they were sitting in before leaving. It's a courtesy on their part and we greatly appreciate the gesture.

As for our pilots helping clean, it's simply one of the best leadership tools I have in my bag. If I'm willing to come out and help clean, then that helps inspire my team to excel. If I find a lav particularly unkempt, I don't order an FA to clean it. I let them see me do it. It doesn't lower my status or authority. Rather, it helps exemplify the importance of everyone taking responsibility for our success. If I'm afraid of catching cooties, then I put on the rubber gloves (blue, of course). I'm not too worried, though. I seem to recall getting multiple "cootie shots" when I was kid.

AKAAB
:D

As for the cleaners union...there isn't one. We contract for cleaning RON aircraft. It's the most detailed cleaning we get each day and our vendors are doing a good job. If we had to wait for a cleaning crew to come on board at every turn, we would be facing long turns that would negate a large part of our operating efficiency. If we lose operating efficiency, we wither. Then, the contract cleaning crews would be looking for work.

Our model works quite well.

AKAAB
:D

Years of college, challenging checkrides, hard work, dangerous missions for what....................................CLEANING AIRPLANES? Degrading.

I think it is great to hear that the pilots help out in the back. Obviously Daniel Webster is an idiot.

Whatever you pilots do, please DO NOT let the FA's help out when flying the plane!

I think it is great to hear that the pilots help out in the back. Obviously Daniel Webster is an idiot.

Like your opinion matters, Mr. 200 Hour, C172Heavy!?!? Can you say "geek."

When you get some flight time, maybe you'll understand that pilots are not paid to clean f*ing airplanes. It's time we take back this PROFESSION.

What am I telling you for? You probably still rub one out everytime you see a King Air taxi by.....

see ya, jr.

ps. nice 'funny' at the end of your post. Yucka-yucka! Duh.

DanielWebster said:
I can guarantee you that if I was jumpseating on JetBlue, I would not clean the f*ing airplane when we landed. And I don't believe that many other pilots do either. I fly planes, I don't clean them.

You guys ever wonder how the cleaners union feels about you stealing their work?

I don't know, or care, who is union or not. Do you really think members of a cleaners union gives a $h!t whether or not you belong to a union? If you think they care, you are sadly mistaken.

I make the most money of any other crew member, which I earn by being ultimately responsible for that aircraft. In other words, I am the leader (or at least I am supposed to be). Leadership 101; never ask anyone to do something you wouldn't do yourself. I think it's sad pilots are held in much less esteem than what they used to be. I personally believe the "it's not my job, you do the dirty work" type of Prima Donnas is what is ruining this profession. It may seem from your perspective, your attitude is appropriate. Ask yourself for just one minute how you'd feel if you were on the other side of the door, trying to make a twenty minute turn work (especially when it was supposed to be 40 minutes or more). Personally, I'd feel a whole lot better if the El Supremo felt my job was important enough to help out with, even if it was just for show.

With all of this said the aircraft, crew and mission are my responsibility. I will take care of them before all else. Cleaning the aircraft rates after flight planning, mx issues, etc. Usually on a day-to-day basis, there is never a conflict. No more so than Delta's policy of having their pilots say goodbye to their passengers at the end of a flight.

Radiofly er:

Speaking of which, how do you feel about Delta's policy? Is saying goodbye to passengers also degrading since it doesn't strictly involve flying the airplane?

JayDub

Latest resources

Back