Blood Pressure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bp

Has anybody here had high BP and actually got it to come down without going on medication?

CJ610

cj610 said:
Has anybody here had high BP and actually got it to come down without going on medication?

CJ610
I have and so has my brother-in-law, you can do it (my brother-in-law was dangerously high and he went to the doctor and got a prescription, but ended up getting it down without using the meds.)

I also recomend supplementing with CoQ10 and Celery Seed Extract (if you can afford them...). The Celery Seed extract is not something to use everyday as it will eventually not work. THe initial use will bring it down in a few days, so if you worried, use it for a few days leading up to going to the doctor. THe CoQ10 is more of a long-term effect and is a good supplement to use, though not the cheapest. I know Hawthorne Berry is also a good one to add to the mix.

In the end, you need to know why you BP is up, be it stress, lack of sleep or your diet, you will need to adjust that. Make sure your sodium intake is lowered and you get plenty of fluids. Also, increase your potassium intake by eating bananas.

Thanks for all the advice fellas. Sunday I did a BP screening (not related to my medical) and was at 140/90. Over the last two years my BP has gone up but it wasn't too dramatic and I figured it was just the "white coat syndrome". Now I'm not making more excuses. I'm aggressively monitoring how much I eat, trying to eat healthier, and ensuring I exercise every day. Hopefully that will help. A friend of mine swears by green tea, I have a cup in the morning. I don't know how easy it's going to be once I get to the crash pad and on the road to keep up the healthy eating and exercise. Any advice on eating healthy/inexpensively at the crash pad and on the road?

coolyokeluke said:
Thanks for all the advice fellas. Sunday I did a BP screening (not related to my medical) and was at 140/90. Over the last two years my BP has gone up but it wasn't too dramatic and I figured it was just the "white coat syndrome". Now I'm not making more excuses. I'm aggressively monitoring how much I eat, trying to eat healthier, and ensuring I exercise every day. Hopefully that will help. A friend of mine swears by green tea, I have a cup in the morning. I don't know how easy it's going to be once I get to the crash pad and on the road to keep up the healthy eating and exercise. Any advice on eating healthy/inexpensively at the crash pad and on the road?

Watch out with the greentea. That has caffeine and the flavonoids in it actually act as a thremogenic and can raise pressure slightly. My wife actually can't drink green tea as she gets jittery and her BP increases as if she's on stimulants if she has it. (For me, I get nothing like that from the tea.)

I just had my Class 1 on Tuesday. My BP was 114/88 using the standard BP thingy on wheels with a stethoscope. Just went to the dentist today, they are now checking BP, it was 121/80 using an automated device. When my AME checks my BP it is always all over the place. When it is checked with electronic device it is close to 120/80 which it has been for the last 30 years.
FAA Blood Pressure Standards

The FAA’s upper limit for blood pressure previously varied depending on a pilot’s age and class of certificate. The standards now allow certification for pressures up to 155/95 without an evaluation. Pilots with blood pressures above this level may still be certified after a cardiovascular evaluation (CVE). The standards set by the FAA should not be construed as healthy or "safe" levels. They are maximum levels. Blood pressure near these limits should be evaluated and treated as per the American Heart Association guidelines.

pushups, situps, jumping jacks at the crash pad. No its not the latest "Ballys Gym", but it has been tested by millions of soldiers, so it will probably work for you.

Also, if possible, walk for 1 hour at above-normal pace while at crash pad or try to find a park with a running trail nearby, or a swimming pool.

exercise or not, remember, no salt, high potassium, lots of water (water is now the only liquid allowed in your body), fiber, oatmeal, no more red meats, more fish.

re-test in 60 days and let us know

you don't need red-flags in your FAA Medical file, do the above and it will help, trust me

Latest resources

Back