Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Black leaders unhappy about Delta Air Lines’ diversity.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta used to have a VP of Diversity. Seriously! The Black leadership will complain because that is the only way anyone will notice them. That kind of crap is why I was so glad to leave ATL.

Black mayors, ceo's, business owners, news anchors, chamber presidents, NPO presidents, various govt officials, sheriff, chief of police, the list goes on, and yet they still complain about diversity. Oh yeah, didn't a bunch of Americans just elect a BLACK PRESIDENT?

(Article was written in 2001. I am sure the numbers are much larger now.)

Diversity?

Atlanta is the hot spot for Blacks--and the numbers prove it.
Hundreds of thousands of African Americans have flocked to the Southern city over the past decade, making it the city with the largest Black population gain in the United States, according to a recent study of 2000 census data. And the growth spurt doesn't stop with Atlanta. The South as a whole saw a boom in its Black population, rising from 1.7 million in the 1980s to nearly 3.6 million in the 1990s.
Study author William H. Frey, a research scientist at the University of Michigan Population Studies Center and senior research fellow at the Milken Institute in Santa Monica, CA, says this large influx of Blacks to the South "is serving to recreate in the South a distinctive region, which now houses almost 55 percent of the nation's Blacks."
He says that, like Whites, Blacks are attracted to the good economy, the less-crowded areas and the warmer climate, adding that Blacks hold historic roots to the South and recognize the much-improved racial climate.
His report, Census 2000 Shows Large Black Return to the South, Reinforcing the Region's "White-Black" Demographic Profile, shows that among the metro areas with the largest Black population gains, Atlanta ranked No. 1 with a gain of 459,582 Black residents, edging out No. 2 New York, which saw an increase of 450,725 Blacks. The Washington, D.C.-Baltimore area took the No. 3 spot with a gain of 358,727, Miami came in at No. 4 with 241,492 and No. 5 Chicago saw an increase of 181,101.
The report also shows that, in terms of states with the biggest Black gains, Florida and Georgia head the list with about 674,119 and 632,262 respectively. Texas, New York, Maryland and North Carolina also saw population swells as each state gained more than 300,000 Blacks in the past decade.

Last edited:
In 2007, according to the document, the airline spent $28 million with Asian-American-owned firms; $26 million with Hispanic-owned firms; $21 million with African-American firms; and $200,000 with Native American-owned firms.
For the first eight months of 2008, the airline only spent $12 million with African-American suppliers; $20 million with Hispanic-owned firms; $18 million with Asian-American-owned firms and $1 million with Native Americans.
Pretty amazing they can get statistics like that, but when we ask our union "how much Delta flying is performed by Delta pilots" the response is like asking Dick Cheney about his lesbian daughter.

In my opinion these so called "black leaders" would be better served bringing up the merits of hard work and service rather than simply demanding preferential treatment.

Hopefully Delta does not care what color their vendors represent and leave prejudice and bigotry out of their decisions.

And wasn't ASA's first all African American Flight Crew flying Delta code with momma Delta paying the bills? Why no credit for that history making flight?

I've flown with the Captain - very sharp young lady.

http://www.11alive.com/life/story.aspx?storyid=127470&catid=37

Last edited:
Delta's bigger problem is that employees with access to internal documents are feeding those documents to these folks. Re-read the section of the article when the Diversity folks had the internal breakdown of their minority vendor program. Hard to have a good message when you are getting sniped from within.

I am so tired of hearing about alleged racism. This is the United States of America - any native born American citizen can become president and leader of the free world.

It doesn't matter what race you are but what does matter is your willingness to get up off your dead ass and make something of your life. It isn't given to you and it isn't easy. You get out of life what you put into it.

If you want more than a blue collar job then quit thinking that way. Spend your extra money on an education instead of a Hyabusa.

One more thing while I'm up here on my box. We have a black president but you don't hear him up there saying, "Hey, I'm a black man - President of the United States." THAT, is why he got elected.

Using your race or sex as a platform won't make you a winner. Just ask Hillary!

The only thing I would ever ask Hillary is to step down.

Things must be pretty good in the black community to snoop around Delta. Can't complain about much else lately.

NO! They wouldn't have a job otherwise.

You nailed it! If there were ever a time when they were not stirring the pot to create a perception of inequality they would not be able to extort or ask for large donations. Have you ever heard of any of these so called leaders having a real job? If so what and I would like to see proof that it's not some fluffed up job to keep them from having to work a real job.

These so called leaders do not want equality and they do nothing to help their community. Whose fault is it they have not prospered in this country? Why is it that folks immigrate to the US and within a generation have found the American Dream. I work with many non caucasian, non male pilots and all I have ever spoken to about this sort of shake down are insulted by it. It cheapens their own accomplishments and implies something was handed to them. They have all earned the right to be in the cockpit that I have flown withand I am proud to work with them. The Black community needs to stop letting these shakedown artists speak for them and let the voices of the likes of Bill Cosby and Colin Powell be the voice and influence to finding the American Dream.

Just one mans opinion, you're all welcome to your own.

Latest resources

Back