Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Biggest issue for the "new United" pilots - SCOPE!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah stop paying Republic and then competeing against them. Or having Republic Deadheading their crewmembers on your flight to cover their flights (Frontier flts)., or fueling their plain white a/c at United gate and then taxi to Frontier gate=United pays the fuel.

The answer is to let the regional contracts for 70 seat aircraft expire at their normal expiration dates. If the new United needs these aircraft they become mainline aircraft. If that means we have to contract for training with the very same airline we just severed ties with than so be it. We become a launch customer for the new C-series or the M-jet for aircraft seating 85-115 seats and these aircraft become mainline aircraft with simulators located in IAH or DEN. Mainline mechanics work on them and mainine flight attendants staff the cabins. End of story. We sign agreements with the current 70 seat operators offering any displaced pilots interviews with UAL if the expiration of the 70 seat contracts down the road result in the furloughs of that particular company's pilots. Another angle would be to interview the pilots in seniority order at the carriers affected by cuts due to the loss of the 70 seat jets thus resulting in upward movement at the effected carriers. Work with Bombardier to phase out the CRJ700/900 we will now own(or hold the leases on) in a deal for C-series jets down the road. I think it will work out. Those pilots at these carriers that do not get picked up by UAL during the preferential interview process probably would have been lifers at the regional level anyway so at least if interviews are offered in seniority order at the effected regional airlines that person can advance upward by having mainline UAL take over the 70+ seat flying.
This will not happen over a 2 year period. It may take a decade but it WILL bring back the furloughed UAL/CAL pilots a lot quicker and provide stable mainline jobs going forward for thousands of pilots looking forward to a career in the airlines.

Very well said, probably nothing we can do about current 70 seaters with current contracts, but not one more 70 seater on property, and as contracts expire, all additional flying over 50 seats comes to mainline. WE have the chance to reverse something that has been degrading this career since 9-11. If we are able to make this change, I guarantee you every contract negotiation from here on out with other legacy carriers will follow suit. 50-70 seat jets are going to be obsolete from an efficiency standpoint once the newer 90-110 seaters hit the market. If the combined company wants a piece of that action, they will agree to let mainline pilots fly those jets. IF they don't, then that is a bad business decision on their part and not my problem. Outsourcing must stop now.

Watch out ... Republic is already headed down this road. With 30% less operating costs, that C-series is gonna change the game.
The only road Republic is heading down is the same one Independence did. No way Republic survives longterm from the competition Southwest is bringing in Denver and Airtran is bringing in Milwaukee. Republic ain't going to have their branded operation long enough to be the Bombardier CS-300 North American launch customer in 2015. What is Republic's cash position, $200 million? That won't last too long against 2 of the strongest LCCs in the business.

Don't worry, Pratter will oversee this. He also said initially he was against age 65. You can trust him. Sure you can.

Don't worry, Pratter will oversee this. He also said initially he was against age 65.

No he didn't. He was a blatant supporter of Age 65 from the first day of his campaign.

No he didn't. He was a blatant supporter of Age 65 from the first day of his campaign.

Check your facts, Prater flat out lied and said he would stay out of the issue. Mean while he was working back door deals to have it changed.

Facts on Flight Info?!??! Since when?

Check your facts, Prater flat out lied and said he would stay out of the issue. Mean while he was working back door deals to have it changed.

Your "facts" are incorrect. I was a rep at the time of his campaign and election, and I still have all of his campaign materials. He was quite open from the very beginning about his stance on the issue.

If they can't agree to at least stop any further 50+ seat expansion and let all the current 50+ seat contracts expire and be replaced by mainline, then I hope the Continental pilots scuttle the whole thing. Hell, if I were them I also scuttle it if Tilton has any management position above VP of Toilet Cleaning. I honestly wish both pilot groups good luck with whatever becomes of this. The airlines are a rough place to have a career and everyone involved needs as much luck as possible in a merger.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back