bible thumping in DTW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xjhawk

I just got an E mail from one of our (XJ)Captains based in Dtw. The e mail was quickly deleted after i realised it was about an invitation to a gathering of someone preaching JEsus. To me, religion is a private thing, and something i do not want shoved in my face at work, or on my e mail account. What does others think about all this? Oh and by the way, if this contunues, i will notify the proper people to have this stopped. Oh and again, by the way, do not try to save me or convert me to your brand of christianity or chrsitianity for that matter.

If someone offered you a plate of cookies, you could say thank you or you could politely decline. I'm sure if you politely declined, your associate would take no offense. Likewise, I'm certain no offense were intended in the offer. He sees it as having something good that he wants to share. That's not a bad thing. If someone offers to take me out for a night of drinkin' and hangin' with the ladies, I am sure they mean no offense to me and I would politely decline. You certainly have a right to react angrily, but why would you?

Andy,

I think the distinction b/w your two examples is that a night out with the boys is an inherently social thing, and as such, is not generally considered out of place if brought up in a social context. Now, while some may practice drinkin' and skirt-chasin' with the passion of a religion, an unsolicited invite to a religious meeting would be considered socially awkward by many, offensive by more than just some. To be fair, I think the same would apply to someone coming out and suggesting a night in the strip-club to his/her crew completely out of the blue (wow, I just equated Jesus with a lap-dancer!).

I don't know if the above guy's invite was related to work, but everyone knows the old rule-of-thumb against bringing up religion or politics in the cockpit; people get too worked up about it and the passions they stir up can interfere with one's ability to conduct operations smoothly.

Religion is a private matter. If you want to be social in a religious context, do it at church/religious-themed events, etc.

Just one guy's view, FWIW...

P.S. (and I don't me this to be taken personally): I know there are some places where religion is more tightly would up in the whole social/political scene, but you must admit that one of those places in the mountains of the western U.S. is "unique" among these 50 states.

Last edited:
Wow...we're parking 10 Saabs (B+ models no less), 9 Avros with the possibility of the entire Avro fleet, we're going to furlough, concession talks are on the horizon, we might be declaring bankruptcy any time now, and you get angry over this!?!

Let go......let go.....

The force will be with you always.

kmox29 said:
Wow...we're parking 10 Saabs (B+ models no less), 9 Avros with the possibility of the entire Avro fleet, we're going to furlough, concession talks are on the horizon, we might be declaring bankruptcy any time now, and you get angry over this!?!

Let go......let go.....

NO DOUBT! Just say "no thank you" and be on your way. It sounds like you've got MUCH bigger things to worry about.

I would say to just respectfully decline. IF you decide to notify the proper people to cease having this type of thing shoved in your face, someone else down the line may have one or more of your offensive behaviors put into check.

Just be a nice guy. Kind of like the other pilot was being nice in wanting to include you in something.

xjhawk, I'm sensing lots of built up hostility over nothing. Is this "problem" really that significant? No offense, but take a chill pill and decline.

MM

kmox29 said:

Let go......let go.....

I'd say this is the reason you should be going to the prayer gathering.

He probably received some sort of impression from you that you might be interested. Obviously it was very misinterpreted. Relax, count to ten, and brush it off. If he is persistent, do as Jesus would do, decline respectfully. (Please sense sarcasm)

Latest resources

Back