Beware of (little johnny)cockpit visitors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DUBLINFLYER

An FFDO told me a story last week about a little Johnny who was allowed to see inside the cockpit while the aircraft was on the ground. The child was accompanied by his dad who appeared to be of middle eastern descent.
While the captain and FO where showing little Johnny the dials and switches dad who was behind the FO's seat tripped the door circuit breaker. The captain saw him do this and did not say anything until they left the cockpit. The captain then got the authorities and had him removed from the plane.
Is this another step to 911 again, you would need to have specialized knowledge of where the door circuit breaker was and which one to trip.
Be more vigilant of little Johnny and Susie when they come into the cockpit

An FFDO told me a story last week about a little Johnny who was allowed to see inside the cockpit while the aircraft was on the ground. The child was accompanied by his dad who appeared to be of middle eastern descent.
While the captain and FO where showing little Johnny the dials and switches dad who was behind the FO's seat tripped the door circuit breaker. The captain saw him do this and did not say anything until they left the cockpit. The captain then got the authorities and had him removed from the plane.
Is this another step to 911 again, you would need to have specialized knowledge of where the door circuit breaker was and which one to trip.

Please. Sounds like an episode for Mythbusters.

...and something that would be SSI and disseminated from within your company and union security folks to line pilots if it actually happened...

This is actually good info in regards to being aware of this situation. Did it happen? Probably not (due to some reasons stated above) but I would suppose that, like many people do, someone feels strongly about something so they weave a "true" story around their particular issue to make it more credible. But again, the intent of the story is what is important.

The important part of this is we have to ask ourselves- is this possible? I think it is, and I have heard this concern for the last couple of years myself.

In my personal experience on the A320, changes have been and are being made to make this potential security breach a virtual impossibility. Don't know about any other aircraft types

My advice for all pilots is to find the location of this particular breaker and try to include it in your personal scan/checklist after the door is closed.

Also, ask around about what the airbus has done and if it's possible, get your safety dept. to see if it's possible to adapt your plane to this "fix". If you have a union, get them involved to push this "fix".

One thing I have learned from 9/11 is if it can be thought of, it can be done. Lets not get caught unprepared ever again.

They tell this story in FFDO school, as an example.

I heard it my self, but there was no claim that it ever actually happened, but it certainly could.

The one gaping hole in this story is that the captain noticed...I'm calling BS...the captain was out grabbing a bite, taking a dump, or on his cell phone. Maybe if they would have said the FO noticed...

Latest resources

Back