Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Better job: charter, corporate or fractional?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

To me (121 airline) they all sound the same - same aircraft, same type of flying. But which one tends to be better over the course of a career?

The one where you get paid well, don't have to spend several days on the road with a jerk-off, have job security and a good schedule.

To me (121 airline) they all sound the same - same aircraft, same type of flying. But which one tends to be better over the course of a career?

Aren't all 121 jobs the same? I hear working for ASA and working for Delta are identical...

It's all about the dollars and the days off. A good charter company with company work rules (that they won't waive) can be a good place to work, though the same can be said about a pt 91 management company. Good luck keeping a job at any of them for more than a few years. That said, working for the same guy all the time tends to humanize you in their eyes and they are less likely to throw you under the bus for stupid reasons.

Complete toss up. In general terms, the better you are at BS'ing and networking the better career you can find in the Pt91 field. Im unaware of anyone that enjoys charter unless you being on call for extended periods of time. Fractionals can be enjoyable if you can stand being away from the family for a week and over. No job is perfect unless your G200 or AA17 making the big bucks:D

Aren't all 121 jobs the same? I hear working for ASA and working for Delta are identical...

No, ASA is Delta's regional partner, so no, it's not the same. ASA is a regional airline and you'll never top out at what a Delta pilot will make.

My question revolves more around the progression of a bizjet pilot from the ground up, the way a 121 pilot would. A 121 pilot would typically flight instruct, then move to a regional, and finally a major.

Along those lines - let's use someone who wants to just stay flying bizjets. How would the progression go - charter, to fractional, then to corporate? (i.e. is corporate the "top of the ladder?")

aa73 said:
Along those lines - let's use someone who wants to just stay flying bizjets. How would the progression go - charter, to fractional, then to corporate? (i.e. is corporate the "top of the ladder?")

There is no fixed path in business aviation.

Most would say a large-cabin Part 91 job is "top of the ladder", but I'm sure there are plenty of those out there that make less money than a NetJets Ultra captain.

No job is perfect unless your G200 or AA17 making the big bucks:D

The big bucks!...lol, no. I have heard I make 80K/yr.

Plus that AA717 clown has gotta be making a lot more than me, he's a major airline pilot for chrissakes!..I just fly a little ole mini jet and carry a briefcase for Mr Rich.

Also, as you know, I'm bound to lose my job if they dont like me today, or if the chips are expired, or if I don't show enough face time around the office. It's a rough business.

But, G200 is patient.....just building up my PIC jet time and waiting on the application window to open at my major airline of choice.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back