• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best zero time to regional route

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would recommend you get affiliated with WIA and OBAP. Those two organizations were instrumental in helping me get hired at United. We only hire the best and brightest but networking is key as well.

Yea that or paint a red dot on your forehead or join an Indian reservation. Whatever helps..

I would recommend you get affiliated with WIA and OBAP. Those two organizations were instrumental in helping me get hired at United. We only hire the best and brightest but networking is key as well.

These narrowbody airplanes are going to be so cool to fly. if we get them at Republic, I think we could be the next SWA. since our costs are lower, we could have explosive growth! LOL! Sweeeeet!

I don't have a dog in this fight but it appears the new United contract closed the 100 seat regional jet loophole as well. As I recall, Air Wisconsin was flying 100 seat Bac jets for years as United Express.

So your not a UAL pilot?????

Poser and a Troll. He can't decide what his story is. UAL pilot, Republic pilot......loser living in his parent's basement.......you decide. Next week he will be system chief pilot. The internet....where you can pretend to be anyone. So entertaining.

I'm not here to s#1t on your dream. But, at least read my advice:

If you enjoy flying, don't do it as your only career---but you can make it one of your jobs. Diversify your work & income. Dont become dependant. It will save you a lot of heartache later.

Our (and your) loyalty to this career is neither reciprocated by our customers nor our employers. Don't make the same mistake we all made. Do you want proof? www.FlightInfo.com

Best of luck.

Best? Military IMO. And then go straight to majors.

With the continued reduction in military flying, it might take 15 years to log 1,500 hours.

If you're flying now take 2 weeks off and don't fly at all. At the end of those 2 weeks take your davey clarks drop kick them in the nearest lake and quit flying altogether. If you haven't started flying yet take 2 weeks to think about it then go get a degree in zit popping and go to the airport on your off days and laugh and point at the losers in their fancy pilot uniforms that were dumb enough to pick this as a career.

Get a college degree in something besides aviation that you can feed yourself with when this business takes a crapper. Go military if you can. If you can't go buy an older 152 or 172 and fly the crap out of it till you get to 1500. If you do the math you'll be better off than spending 150,000 to a quarter mill at one of these college level aviation programs.

Or go to one of these programs, go crazy in debt, and commit financial suicide. Its your choice.

If you enjoy flying, don't do it as your only career---but you can make it one of your jobs. Diversify your work & income. Dont become dependant. It will save you a lot of heartache later.
Lousy advice and quite impractical. Flying consumes too much of your life to develop anything else worthwhile. You can have an expensive hobby that you think is a side business, but you'll end up hiring too many people to look after the business when you are away and they will invariably rip you off because they can. You end up dependent on them as much as you would your primary job.

Choose flying if you (and anyone you plan to spend your life with) are OK with making the rest of the interests in your life a distant second. Your career will never "owe you" anything, because it cannot and will not ever pay you back. A great landing has to be worth more to you than watching a child in a school play. You'll tuck your flight kit in behind you seat more times than you'll tuck your little ones in bed. Eating Thanksgiving dinner at the gas station across from the hotel in Atlanta or texting "Merry Christmas" before you push back for a 30 hour overnight in Guadalajara will have to be okay with the family because you chose that for you and for them. And after the water cannons stop on your last flight, don't let the fact that those same kids aren't all that interested in calling the man they never really got to know. Maybe they'll text you a "Merry Christmas".

Get a college degree in something besides aviation that you can feed yourself with when this business takes a crapper. Go military if you can. If you can't go buy an older 152 or 172 and fly the crap out of it till you get to 1500. If you do the math you'll be better off than spending 150,000 to a quarter mill at one of these college level aviation programs.

Or go to one of these programs, go crazy in debt, and commit financial suicide. Its your choice.

1500 hrs @ $65/hr (what it costs just to run an old 172) is $97500. Lunch a motor and you're into it for another 20 grand. Not to mention that you have to come up with the $30K to buy the thing and then may not be able to sell it afterwards. And you have no multi time.

Or get your ratings ASAP and then comb the airports (you may have to do some searching) for the busiest operators (charter, cargo or corporate all flying >300-500 hrs/pilot per year) and find out what they fly and put the remaining money into Flight Safety training on that airplane if they agree to hire you.

Lousy advice and quite impractical. Flying consumes too much of your life to develop anything else worthwhile.

Lousy advice and quite impractical. Flying consumes too much of your life to develop anything else worthwhile.

Tell that to the pilot who also works as a Dentist. Or the pilots that successfully flip homes and rent others out. Or the pilot who is also real estate agent. Or the pilot who has a lucrative accounting/wealth management firm. Or the pilot who is an electrician. Or the pilot who is a video/film editor. Or the pilot who has his own general aviation A&P business. Or the pilots that co-own & operate a fantastic firearms training academy. Or... I could go on and on and on. All successful, and all continuing to engage in these activites because they are indeed worthwhile.

It can be done. It takes extra work, of course. Diversifying income gives the above pilots much more protection from the sadistic misfortunes of this industry than we both have. I'm just trying to give the kid some facts.

But I truly appreciate your opinion. You bring up some good points that I had not considered myself.

Latest resources

Back