• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best zero time to regional route

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Last time I checked there are still a couple of guys driving the train, and if the elevator breaks you make a phone call and elevator maintenance comes and lets you out.

George goes tango uniform at 230 without a pilot on board and its harp city for everybody. Big difference.

Been to Hartsfield? DIA? Disneyland? Probably not the "mass transit" numbers of traditional trains and subways but you won't find conductors anywhere.

Yes, an "elevator repair technician", or 911 is a quick call away, but the point I was making is at one time, the idea of setting foot on one of these newly-autonomous modes of transit was completely absurd to the travelling public.

It's just a matter of paradigm-shift.

I'm not saying 100% pilotless planes will be an easy sell to the flying public, and I'm not saying it will come to pass for every corner of aviation (it may be legislated out of anything other than cargo), but I am confident we will see the technology in the civilian skies within the next 20 years.

The first Cat IIIc approach I ever "flew" cemented this belief in my mind years ago.

Now please allow me to apologize for the "thread drift" my post created. I was enjoying the earlier discussion and hope we can steer back to the original thread topic....

Last edited:
My former CFI's answer to getting hours for the major airlines.....he went into the Air Force flying C-130's or Tankers now.
Smart guy, when he gets out he will have head of the line privileges for the best flying jobs. Any military flying experience is great resume fluff. Anyone wanting to get ahead in this career should be applying at every service and Guard and Reserve unit in the country. I know everyone thinks fixed wing, but there is a real shortage of helo drivers in the country right now, and Army helo trainign is as good as it gets.

You will never see people get on an unpiloted large aircraft for the forseeable future. Ever. There was a survey about this recently and something like 10% of passengers said they would be willing to fly on an aircraft with no pilot. Its all about perception and has nothing to do with technology. Used to get a laugh all the time when working as an agent and passengers would refuse to fly on a brand new Saab, and ask to be re booked on a 40 year old DC 9 because it is 'newer' technology. Perception is reality and logic flies out the window.

In the early 1900s, airplanes were a curiosity flown by daredevils and stunt show performers. No one would have even considered getting on one of those "contraptions" and flying somewhere. That was less than 100 years ago. I don't think we'll see pilotless airplanes in our careers, but I wouldn't say never. 100 years from now, at our current rate of technological advance, we will probably be flying UFOs. Think about it.

There is no reason to go "pilotless".

Here is what will happen - a smart airline will place two marginally qualified humans up front, fully dressed in pilot regalia. These persons will know how to call Medlink, deal with circuit breaker resets, and crank the gear down if the auto system fails.

This will provide a marketing advantage over other airlines: "Look, we still use real pilots in addition to all the techonology - "You're safer with us".

This does not mean the profession as we know it is safe, it only means that there will be no reason to have an empty flight deck. Low-paid technicians/managers will occupy the front seats.

Besides, anyone who thinks that ground-bound engineers will be able to design a system that can deal with all contingencies is a fool.

Once a crash occurs that could have been prevented with human intervention, public outcry will be fierce.

In the end, it will be CHEAPER to have low paid lackeys up front (probably with a "manager certificate" instead of an ATP). The cost of designing out something as simple as resetting a breaker or cranking the gear would not justify it.

There may eventually be only one person up front, of course. Someone will have to complete the Sudoku forms.

In the early 1900s, airplanes were a curiosity flown by daredevils and stunt show performers. No one would have even considered getting on one of those "contraptions" and flying somewhere. That was less than 100 years ago. I don't think we'll see pilotless airplanes in our careers, but I wouldn't say never. 100 years from now, at our current rate of technological advance, we will probably be flying UFOs. Think about it.

UFOs....? Do you think before you type? Do you even know what U.F.O. means???

Typical sCAL pilot.

Latest resources

Back