Best weekend x-c's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SIG600

I'm out of idea's for weekend cross country trips, you can only go to the same places so many times. Wondering whose got some good three day road trip bender stories/locals.

Williams Gateway in phoenix is a nice one. Busy military fuel stop and satellite airport to PHX - plus a restaurant on the other side of the FBO counter. No more than 35 minute drive to Tempe, and away from the hustle and bustle of Sky Harbor.
All the Miramar guys come a lot, and the Yuma jets are in every weekend. No one from the east coast ever comes (extremely rare), they always go to PHX! Shame on them.

If you're XC with an AAL or UAL reservist, try Opa Locka Airport north of Miami and stay at the Sherry Fontenac Hotel on the beach (not sure what other US carriers have access to the hotel). If not for the sun and sand, stay there for the International (female) FAs...WOW.

As for Williams Gateway...I concur with Gulfstream. But, like any other growing city, expect gnarly traffic if you stay towards downtown. There's a lot of growth out here but Willie's still out in the "sticks". I don't see a lot of Miramar jets. Mainly Huggys' Beale '38s :)D ) and Yuma harriers. The Navy T-45s usually come from Tejas.

Austin. The Driskill hotel (a historic landmark) has a military rate (90 bucks a night, last I checked), and it's located a VERY short stumble from 6th Street.

NAS New Orleans is fun if it's the right time of the year. I was there just this past weekend...I'm surprised I still have brain cells that work.

Whenever I go to Phoenix, I always land at Sky Harbor. Then, I grab a room at the Hilton in Scottsdale. Just a quick walk to the bars in Scottsdale. The girls are plastic, but I'm there to look...not to touch, so it's OK with me.

Huntsville, AL was great because it was a short drive on Saturday to the Jack Daniel's distillery. Free tours!

I'm sure I have more gouge, but I can't think of any more right now...

If you're XC with an AAL or UAL reservist, try Opa Locka Airport north of Miami and stay at the Sherry Fontenac Hotel on the beach (not sure what other US carriers have access to the hotel). If not for the sun and sand, stay there for the International (female) FAs...WOW..

I could be wrong. Unfortunately, I think the Sherry Fontenac Hotel might not be in business anymore. I can't remember if I heard it's not a crew hotel anymore or it closed altogether. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny. My memory of the discussion when this came up is way too fuzzy. I gotta cut back on the binge drinking.
:beer:

...Mainly Huggys' Beale '38s :)D )...
Hey!!! I resemble that remark!!!
Phoenix is fine, you just need to set up the rent-a-car with the folks there in the lobby with the FBO. Besides Scottsdale, there's a gorgeous hotel in Tempe called the Mission Palms that gave us the military rate. Great location.
For West Coast locations, I'm a huge fan of North Island. Lots of guys like to go into the Gas Lamp, but I just stay there on the Island and cab it/walk around. Coronado Brewing Company (CBC) has great food and brews many types of beer; the Best Western is across the street and the rooms are only about $20 above the gov't rate. It's the nicest Best Western I've ever seen. Brigantine is great for seafood. And of course, the Hotel Del for a Whisky.

^Yeah, NAS North Island was a lot of fun.

In the Gas Lamp district, I like the Yardhouse. Biggest bar I've ever seen...all stocked with beer taps. Order a "yard" and they'll bring you a 3 foot tall glass of beer filled with the brew of your choice. I played "stump the bartender" and he had all the beers I could think of. It was a great way to start the night. :)

If you like skiing, Hill AFB is right around the mountian from the 2002 Olympic Downhill Mtn. Eagle County CO has a fuel contract. I saw some T-45's there years ago.

Fury, they let you go to New Orleans the weekend before Mardi Gras?

Latest resources

Back