Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AlbieF15 said:
Ditto what NightFlyer said.

With all due respect to the other posters, they don't have all the facts. I've helped many pure civ types get ready for FDX interviews, and they have done very well. Some have been night freight dogs, but it has been multi time, not caravan time, that they had the most of. Also, the Line Check thing is also a very nice feather in the cap. For those in civilian ranks wanting to join FDX, I think getting on with training or standards at your regional is a very good discriminator.

The networking angle is important, however, any way you look at it.
One good point in favor of a job at a regional is you just might be giving a FDX guy a jumpseat here or there. Keep your business card handy and trade cards with anyone at a major where you want to work. You never know who you might meet that might just be eager to help you out...

So you don't have to walk on water? ;)

Swingin' dick military is the best way

capt. megadeth said:
It is a pipe dream....but don't tell him that. Encourage him every step of the way.

I thought FEX has a program where if you work for the company for xx years ( i want to say 2) and meet the pilot requirements you get an interview without any sort of sponsoring etc. etc.

~wheelsup

wheelsup said:
I thought FEX has a program where if you work for the company for xx years ( i want to say 2) and meet the pilot requirements you get an interview without any sort of sponsoring etc. etc.

~wheelsup
You are correct, to a degree. The job has to be permanent (not temporary) and it has to be with FedEx Express (not Ground or Corporate or Kinkos or any other division). The length of time varies with the job, but it is no less than 1 year.

Then, if you meet the published requirements AND we're hiring pilots, you are guaranteed an interview before external applicants are considered. If we're not hiring (and there have been such periods), you're not getting an interview.

For those willing to invest some time and hard work to GUARANTEE an interview, working a day sort as a part-time handler and working nighttime as a freight doggie finishing off the turbine time requirement might be a good way to go.

Thanks for the info all, I'll pass it along. Maybe in 4 years it won't be everyone's 'holy grail' and he might have a shot. I'd heard that about working in the company helping out, sounds like a good idea, shows ambition. Plus if he gets in he can sponsor me l8r...

FYI...it takes some internals 2 or 3 tries to get hired. It is a TOUGH process, and because the internals are "automatic" sometimes they are looked at with some skepticism. Just "meeting the mins" and getting the call certainly doesn't mean you will get hired. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but the class a few in front of me had an RSW handler/courier that took at least 2 tries, and my class had a mechanic who took 3 tries. I think working for FDX can be a good strategy, but have a backup plan and keep yourself current.

We have hired from a host of regionals, but Pinnacle is based in MEM and the overlapping crashpad/social scene can't hurt anyone's chances. If my goal was FDX, Pinnacle would be my first choice of regionals. I am not saying its the BEST regional job, but rather the one that would create the most opportunites to network towards that interview.

I know its a tough road...good luck everyone!

What's so special about 121 time anyway? Those of us who fly on demand freight go "above and beyond the normal call of duty" as a normal part of our jobs. Worst weather, longest days(and nights), and antiquated equiptment, but we get the job done to the scorn of the RJ jock that has the easier schedule (albiet the lower pay). So what is so important about 121 time? My cohorts and I were just wondering.

If your friend is female or part of a "minority" they may get hired before the interview is even over!! I have a friend (no 121PIC at all) interviewed and hired at Continental on the spot. I know of two others at my company that just got hired at UPS......none with "the curse of the cracker boy"!

SkyRat said:
What's so special about 121 time anyway? Those of us who fly on demand freight go "above and beyond the normal call of duty" as a normal part of our jobs. Worst weather, longest days(and nights), and antiquated equiptment, but we get the job done to the scorn of the RJ jock that has the easier schedule (albiet the lower pay). So what is so important about 121 time? My cohorts and I were just wondering.

I agree with you. Although, I think it is 100 times easier to go from 121 airline to 121 airline. The regs and procedures are a lot different, IMO. We had a guy in our new hire class who flew 135 and he was struggling through.
That is not to say it would be hard for you because there were also military guys who the 121 stuff was new to and they did fine. Am I making any sense? I just woke up.

spitfire1500 said:
If your friend is female or part of a "minority" they may get hired before the interview is even over!! I have a friend (no 121PIC at all) interviewed and hired at Continental on the spot. I know of two others at my company that just got hired at UPS......none with "the curse of the cracker boy"!

Yeah? Well I know like 5 white males that got hired at ATA (a few years back) with 1000 less PIC and total time than I had. They never even called me.

I am just wondering when some of you will stop milking what happened at United over 10 years ago and blaming not getting hired on all us evil women.

It cracks me up because my new hire class at UPS had 15 white males. The new hire class before mine had ALL white males. The new hire class after mine had 20 white males out of 21 new hires. Spitfire, you better become an astronaut because all of us ladies are stealing all your jobs......so you better fly the space shuttle to be competitive with all of us. Oh, did I mention that I had 800 TT when I got hired at UPS?

Latest resources

Back