Best way to FedEx

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SinglePliot135

I have a friend whose long term goal is big purple. He is at 2000/1000ME now, no turbine. Would it be better to go to a freight turboprop to get 1000 turbine PIC and then join a regional to get 121 experience or just start now at a regional knowing that it will take longer to get that required 1000. If he did the freight first he would meet their bare minimums sooner, but that obviously isn't enough, so would it be better to just go to a regional now? I've already told him its a pipe dream.. any other advice?

milehigh6080 said:
Tell him to start flying in the military ten years ago

No doubt.

It is a pipe dream....but don't tell him that. Encourage him every step of the way.

Also, tell him to learn how to walk on water.

I would tell him to go back and fly KC-10's in the military, become an IP, get out, joing the Guard/Reserve, and fly Part 121 Regionals while his application sits in Memphis. Check both blocks "Mil" and "Part 121" on the application

oh yeah, update every 3-6 months and find three people who have actually flown with you and are also employed by FedEx

also join 164th AW at Memphis (see "3 people" comment above) and start going to NASCAR and get involved in the Memphis auto racing scense, since Jack Lewis hangs out with that crowd supposedly

:)

SinglePliot135 said:
I have a friend whose long term goal is big purple.
I know a girl whose goal is the big purple. But it always winds up being the short pink in the end.;)
Your friend will need a sponsor.

410dude said:
I'd tell him to go with a regional flying RJ's.

Yeah, no doubt they'd pick him right up, since there are so few people out there with RJ SIC experience these days.

Last edited:
Tell him to find 3 guys that work for FedEx, and give them money, liquor, BJ's, whatever it takes to get recommendations. Also, hire a computer hacker to hack into the US military database to make up some military records for him, since we all know that FedEx won't touch anybody without military experience. Or, if he can somehow forge a 'good ol' boys' membership club card, he can flash that in front of the FE building in Memphis and he'll be hired on the spot.

I recommend getting on with a regional that has a fast upgrade so he can get his pic time and then apply for an on-line checkairman position. They like guys that go above and beyond what's required. It's certainly not a requirement but they do like it. He doesn't have to have military experience to get on with us but he will need someone that can sponsor him so he'll need to network. Good luck.

NightFlyer

Ditto what NightFlyer said.

With all due respect to the other posters, they don't have all the facts. I've helped many pure civ types get ready for FDX interviews, and they have done very well. Some have been night freight dogs, but it has been multi time, not caravan time, that they had the most of. Also, the Line Check thing is also a very nice feather in the cap. For those in civilian ranks wanting to join FDX, I think getting on with training or standards at your regional is a very good discriminator.

The networking angle is important, however, any way you look at it.
One good point in favor of a job at a regional is you just might be giving a FDX guy a jumpseat here or there. Keep your business card handy and trade cards with anyone at a major where you want to work. You never know who you might meet that might just be eager to help you out...

Latest resources

Back