Best way to build hrs fro regionals?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OH Opps.....;) :D

Well, I think its to late when you are pushing 40, then you might not be able to get up tp ranks, especially now-a-days.

If your are going to get on as a copilot on a twin otter you'll just need your commercial multi but it is unlikely you'll get hired unless you have the hours to be competetive with others
Actually, at Era the min has always been comm/inst/multi, and they routinely hire dudes with 300 hours as was the case with myself. They are able to do it because you won't find a captain there with less than 3500 hours at Era.
Even if the aircraft is type certificated for single pilot operation, if it is being operated under a regulation that requires 2 pilots, such as for a Part 135 or 121 operator who's Ops Specs require 2 pilots, and you have received the required SIC training, then you can log SIC time.
This is exactly the case at Era...oh, and it does reduce insurance rates, as does having the high mins they require for Captain upgrade.
If I remenber correctly you are still in High School, so slow down enough talk about PIC, SIC, 207, Otter, etc...
If you read his profile it says he's in the University of Alaska Aviation Technology program, which means he's where I was when Era hired me as a TWOtter Co Pilot - with 270 hrs. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with a fast burner.
Good Luck.

Hey thanks for the reply! BTW, how old were you when they hired you, and when was this? Did you work the ramp for a while?
BTW, I am actually persuing a BA degree in Business Management, had to many tell me to not get the aviation degree.

Big D,
"I am actually persuing a BA degree in Business Management"
THAT IS THE SMARTEST THING I HAVE READ ON THESE BOARDS IN A LONG WHILE.
Remember your degree can be a parachute if the airplane deal does not work for you. I work with too many guys who have no other job skills they can use, if the deal goes bad.
Good on ya!!!
PBR
PS Skywest loves CFI's, come on down, the weather is fine.

Hey PBR,

thanks for the comment, sure nice to get supporrt, cjecl your PM.

I see, looks like you made it into the Convair also?

Just my 2 cents.......

Alaskaairlines,

You can never start too early in this bizz, your off to a good start and I also see that you've taken to the good advise give around here on your degree choise. I'm not alaskan nor have I flown up there but as I see it, it looks to me your best bet is to get on with the twotter operation as soon as you get 300tt comm/mel if they are hirring. A 121 opertaion will allow you to fly in a good FAR environment while building 800-1000 hours per year in turb. aircraft. While your at I'd recommend looking into the Guard/Res. after you get on at ERA. I think there is a C-130 unit in ANC. ERA wiil have to keep your job while your away at UPT ect... so you will have a flying job when you return.

Good Luck

BTW sit back and have fun along the way and I seen your photos in www.airliners.net - They are some of the best pics I've seen.

Hello Lear!

Thanks for the tips!

I am going to stay at Era as long as I can, at the moment no hiring, but I still don't have all my ratings finished up anyways. I am the yougest guy there, so I don't know if age has a priority? Everybody has about the same amount of hours......hopefully I can get on.
The guys at Era fly about 600 or 650 hrs a year, but I think thats good time to build while in college for a nice regional down south.

What do you think about instructing? If the Era scenario doesn't work, then that will be my other alternative.

Thanks!

P.S. thanks for the comment regarding my photos, I try to make them look excellent - Alaska seems to be a good place to shoot pictures! :)

Latest resources

Back