• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Logging SIC time

Alaskaairlines said:
Hey There!

Well one of the Otter FOs told me that as long as the Otter has all the instruement the Capt panel has, then you can log it as SIC - those otters can be flown single pilot, they do 2 pilots for insureance purposes.

-Dmitry

Dmitry,

You might want to double check with the person who told you that the time could be logged.

You can log SIC time if the aircraft is certificated for dual pilot ops, but if the aircraft is certificated for single pilot ops, you can only log it if you are typed on the aircraft (if required) and you are the only pilot manipulating the controls (logged as PIC and the other pilot doesn't log it) or if the other pilot is an MEI (logged as dual received and as PIC if you don't need a type or as SIC if you do need a type).

You may have to answer some questions about how things were logged later, just be ready with a valid answer. As far as the comment about logging the time because the aircraft has dual instruments, never heard that rule before.

Good luck. You seem eager, that will carry you far in this industry. Stay positive. This is a great life!

Last edited:
Post 09/11

(The Following Is A Cynical Attempt At Humor)

In the Post 09/11 airline industry the most common way to build time for the regionals is ...

... work for the majors for a few years. :eek:

Re: Logging SIC time

higherflyer said:
Dmitry,

You might want to double check with the person who told you that the time could be logged.

You can log SIC time if the aircraft is certificated for dual pilot ops, but if the aircraft is certificated for single pilot ops, you can only log it if you are typed on the aircraft (if required) and you are the only pilot manipulating the controls (logged as PIC and the other pilot doesn't log it) or if the other pilot is an MEI (logged as dual received and as PIC if you don't need a type or as SIC if you do need a type).

This is not entirely true. Even if the aircraft is type certificated for single pilot operation, if it is being operated under a regulation that requires 2 pilots, such as for a Part 135 or 121 operator who's Ops Specs require 2 pilots, and you have received the required SIC training, then you can log SIC time. This is clearly defined in 61.51(f).

You can log SIC time in the otter if it's flown under 135 or 121. To fly an aircraft with more than 10 passengers you need an SIC (the Twin Otter seats between 13-18 depending on seating). See part 135.99 If that's not good enough then look at 135.101 which states that an SIC is required if the flight is flown under IFR (Part 135) unless there is a functioning autopilot as stated in 135.105 (which I don't believe the Twin Otter has but I've never flown one). If flown under part 121 then 121.385 requires two pilots regardless.

Last edited:
why do all of these posts always come back to logging SIC time? There are soo many like this the answer is already been found....just do a search.

Dmitry,
Building time in the Twotter would be a good way to go. Once you hit 1200 hours start looking around for a PIC slot though. You need some PIC time under your belt as well. Hopefully you can simply upgrade in the Twotter.
If the Twotter has floats I'll be wishing I could trade seats with you for a week! I'd love to fly one of those on floats.
Incidentally Alaska Airlines really likes guys from Alaska. It's not unheard of for an Alaska pilot's first experience above FL180 to be during IOE. It may not impress all airlines but it does give you an advantage at AS. They like Navy pilots a lot also. I have no idea why.
Disclaimer: If you're an overly sensitive naval aviator the above comment was an attempt at humor. I have utmost respect for anyone that can land on a very short moving runway.

Hey guys!

Well like you know I am just picking this stuff up, so I don't know all the specs and regs about the Otter. And yes, you do go through abour 3 weeks of training for the SIC position in the TW Otter. I know some guys who worked the ry seat of the Otter and then moved on to a better place, but seems like many are getting furloughed, which is a shame.

I'll ask around why the Otter is flown 2 pilot, but if I am not mistaken, I beleive it is a requirement. And Era is a Part 121 airline. Uprgrade is pretty slow, about 5 yrs or 3500hrs - which you cn probably do faster out of BET instead of ANC.

And regarding Bush flying, I have never flown in that environment, so I can just speculate and listen to guys that have. I have heard lots of stories about the less than pleasant weather your pressured to fly in. BTW, if you say no, what are the chances of being fired from the job?

Thanks guys!

Dmitry you wear me down reading your threads. If I remenber correctly you are still in High School, so slow down enough talk about PIC, SIC, 207, Otter, etc... The only thing you should worry about now, graduating, attending college, and passing your Instrument check ride. I'm done. Good Luck.
PS- Before you ask what you should do 5 yrs down the rode when you get hired at ALASKA, bid for the 737!

Mullet,

Well sorry about that my friend, didn't mean to disturb you with my questions - I am just trying to avoid being one of those guys who are in there late 20's and are just getting ready to fly - I don't want to speak ahead of myself - but I may be quite fortunate soon (I won't talk ahead of time)......and I am out of HS and in college.

Alaskaairlines said:
I am just trying to avoid being one of those guys who are in there late 20's and are just getting ready to fly.

...easy killer, theres alot more people like that floating around on this board than would like to admit ;)

Latest resources

Back