Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CelticCitation

Larry Wannabe
Acquisition is a big factor in the bottom line. Lots of (relatively) cheap Citation III's out there in the $3.5 range. We are in the west, a lot of Jackson Hole and Sun Valley. I know the III's are very field limited, but given their low price, would it make a descent charter? Is there something better for the money like a Lear 55, or 700 Hawker? Coming from light jets, and looking to get a bigger cabin, more speed, range, etc.

Astra's certainly look like they would fit the role well. However, couldn't find one in my hasty research for less than $5 mil. Lots of other aircraft for $2 million less.

The Citation III, Hawker 700, and Lear 55 are three of the biggest, if not THE biggest, runway hogs ever produced. If you are planning summer trips into Jackson and Sun Valley, these are not the desired machines. I'm not saying that they aren't capable, just not at all preferred.

I think you may need more money or less airplane. You can pick up a Lear 31A for ~3.5 million that will get into and out of both of these airports quite well (been there and done that), so long as you don't want to leave Sun Valley and go non-stop to Teterboro.

Did the same thing 2 years back and settled on the Sabre 65 and we are very happy with it. Product support is excellent from Sabreliner Corp. They finished second in last years AIN survey to Gulfstream. We have 2700 mile range and need less runway than the LJ-55 or C-650 with the same engine. At FL 410 we see .80 in summer. In two years we have missed one trip due to maintenance. It was a windshield.
Production on the 65 stopped in 1981 so they are older, but all parts are still being produced. A total of 76 were produced and 74 are still flying.
You can buy one in excellent condition with less then 10,000 hours, MSP, and RVSM for 2.5 to 3 million. You will need to spend more than twice this to get equal performance and maintenance cost are much less than the Hawker 700 or 800.

HEADWIND

Several years ago we were in the same boat. We settled on the Hawker 600 Fan. It averages 1500 pounds lighter than the 700. Ours could carry full fuel (9200#) plus 8 pax and 350 pounds of baggage and still be almost 500# under max structual gross. It would climb into the upper 30's with no problem. That is with -3C engines. With -3D or -4 engines it will do much better. While it is older than the 700 it is the same airframe and still supported. We would go in and out of Santa Fe, NM with performance issues.

Latest resources

Back