Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best crosswind technique for light aircraft???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Best crosswind technique for light aircraft???
1. Slip all the way down final approach and land on the runway.

2. Crab all the way down final, over the runway, and kick rudder at the last second.

3. Crab all the way down final, but then transition to a slip and land upwind main first on the runway.

............4. Land in a crab ;) ........ouch. You do this in fast-mover military types, but it's quite uncomfortable and dangerous in civilian stuff.

Fugawe

'Last second' rudder

In theory you're supposed to apply 'downwind' rudder to eliminate the crab at the last second before touchdown, but no airliner I've ever watched has landed without a significant degree of sideslip-- or maybe not sideslip per se, but at least a ground track that runs slightly diagonally across the runway (i.e. not parallel to the centerline). They always touch down and then kick in rudder to line it up. What's the deal? Are these guys just not kicking the pedals before touchdown, or is a sideslipping touchdown just more acceptable in larger aircraft?

I gotta go with 3. Upwind wing has to down right? Or a nasty cross wind gust would be bad. Also, it allows for the follow through with the aileron technique for cross wind correction on roll out and taxi. It seems like that should be the case with ANY aircraft but I have limited experience. If not please explain why.

Its like operating any other piece of equipment. Look out the window and do what needs to be done to get the desired result. Its a hard thing to teach since it really only comes with experience. Its good the teach different ideas, but much like riding a bicycle the person has to learn how to do it on their own.

Depends on conditions.

If its blowing hard and I am not sure of the ability to bring the nose around with rudder I will kick the nose over at 100 feet and make sure I have enough rudder. I teach students to do the same thing, to transition to the slip early to get a feel for what it takes to line it up. Just remember whatever controls you put in at 100 feet will need to be increased as the plane slows during the flare.

Except in extreme winds I will crab it all the way down to the roundout, then kick out the crab and roll the ailerons opposite. I just have to remember not to do this with students in the plane.

UA-RESURRECTED said:
1. Slip all the way down final approach and land on the runway.

2. Crab all the way down final, over the runway, and kick rudder at the last second.

3. Crab all the way down final, but then transition to a slip and land upwind main first on the runway.

#1 is used for student pilots and those who don't fly very often.
#2 is used in some large airplanes with minimum ground clearance of pod engines or minimum ground clearance to fully extended flaps. It is also used in some tailwheel airplanes where there is no forward visibility when the nose is aligned straight with the runway.
#3 is used most always except for the examples shown above. Most all aircraft can use this technique including the B777.

#3 with the transition to the slip at about 3' AGL works great in a Seminole in 25-30 kt crosswinds... It was my last training flight before my MEI checkride and my instructor was showing me how to use his technique.

Five days later during the oral exam for my single engine CFI the examiner mentioned that he knew that some instructors at my school taught that "last minute" technique and that he didn't like it because you are transitioning to the slip so late that you don't really know if you are going to have enough rudder authority. It was the oral for my single engine CFI and Commercial (combined) so I'm not even sure now if he was even referrring to the seminole or mainly to the Cessna (if that technique even works in a light Cessna).
In a Cessna I totally agree- it is way too light of an airplane to do that in.

Anyway, it works great in an twin that is a lot heavier than a 172... but I don't think I'll teach the last minute technique to my future students unless they are experienced twin pilots already.

One day I was watching airliners landing in 25-30 knot winds in Las Vegas (awesome observation spot they have there) and they were all using #3... transitioning to the slip at the last second and landing on the upwind wheel.

What do the experienced pilots here think of kicking the rudder input out and slightly dropping the upwind wing right at 3' AGL in a light twin... at the last second basically?
Is there agreement with the examiner who doesn't like it (he has tons of commuter experience)?

Maybe the transition to the slip would be better a bit earlier?

What would you teach in a light twin?

thanks!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back