Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best crosswind technique for light aircraft???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UA-RESURRECTED

Does this mean I failed?
1. Slip all the way down final approach and land on the runway.

2. Crab all the way down final, over the runway, and kick rudder at the last second.

3. Crab all the way down final, but then transition to a slip and land upwind main first on the runway.

or 4.
Find another airport.

Actually, it's 3. What did I win?

sky37d said:
or 4.
Find another airport.

Actually, it's 3. What did I win?

Yeah, allot of people say to do that, but as a student pilot, that seems complicated. You're close to the runway, so really, you can't get out of the crab by rolling the other way with aileron...the wind is just gonna pull you again.

It almost seems easier just to fly the crab right into the flare and kick rudder just before touchdown.

Advise would be welcome here.

5. Read the POH.

Different a/c have different techniques.

When instructing, either student pilots or low-timers, I prefer to teach and see them perform #1, feeling out the right combination of aileron and opposite rudder for the desired slip, more or less all the way down final. That way, over the threshold and at flare, the X-wind correction is all dialed in, and it's held through the flare and landing. As the pilot gets a better feel and more comfortable with X-winds, then it's time for a gradual transition to the crab/then slip method, the "at the last second" part getting more refined as the "student's" skill improves. (I'm sure others have different philosophies on this matter!)

Crab and kick (#2)

Still gotta drop the upwind wing though, or you'll get pushed off the centerline. So your in a slip only in the roundout and flare.

I hate peeling my face off the window when someone puts it in a slip on a 1/2 mile (or more) final.

1) You can judge the winds a lot better when using a crab to a landing then a slip. 2) A slip can lead you into trouble if not performed properly and 3) it's not comfortable and unsettling to passengers. And 4) you will never do a slip in a turboprop or airliner. The crab to a landing is the only method used by the airlines. Learn to use it now and be good at it. You would be surprised how many airline pilots can't do a crab to a landing properly.

I begin my slip over the marker, then on short final I let off of the rudder and use differential thrust combined with aileron trim to grease her on every time. Then I taxi to the gate using only APU thrust.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back