Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best crosswind technique for light aircraft???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The lances we fly have a max demonstrated of 17 knots. Anything under that I usually crab till I'm over the runway about to flair. Over 17 is a slip all the way down to make sure I have rudder athority. When you're landing in a 35Kt direct crosswind, I've found it's best to transition to a full slip, maxing out the rudder & then use ailerons and airspeed to correct for drift. Done it a few times going into PHX. It's a wild ride but it works out well.

SkyBoy1981 said:
I begin my slip over the marker, then on short final I let off of the rudder and use differential thrust combined with aileron trim to grease her on every time. Then I taxi to the gate using only APU thrust.
Ha Ha Ha

On the ATR we pull the flight idle stop and put the upwind engine in beta and set the parking brake.

ksu_aviator said:
Huh? Let's speak student here. Use the rudder to make the wheels line up with the runway and the ailerons to keep you over the runway. Not that I don't applaud you for knowing all the fancy terms, but you sound like a flipping engineer geek. Students don't speak engineer geek.
I make it even more personal: "Keep the centerline between you legs with aileron and square to your chest with rudder."

Latest resources

Back