Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Walter Beeche's Best!!!!!!

Hello.......................

Yes, I flew the Twin Beech; loved every minute it. Flew for several years for SMB Stage Lines out of DFW. I have about 500 hours in the piston/R-985 model and about 1100 hours in the PT-6-20 powered Hamilton Westwind.

I never had a ground loop, nor do I remember ever coming close. However 2000 hours in the right seat of the companies DC-3's probably helped out.

I would like to have had more time in it, but due to the supremely dishonest, corrupt Chief Pilot at that time, my time was limited.

Like flying a pickup truck with a corvette engine.!!!!!

I also flew a corporate owned nose gear H-18 out of Meachem Field for about 200 hours part time; a very, very nice preforming and flying aircraft.

I seldom see a Beech anymore. On occassions, one will fly over the house in far N. Fort Worth........I will usually watch it till it is out of sight. An airplane sounding airplane.

Best wishes for the holidays.

9drvr

Speaking of Beech 18's...

A good friend of mine got his multi rating in an 18 a long time back. On his third or fourth landing--I don't recall exactly which--he got cocky, wasn't paying attention to what he was doing, and groundlooped it. Visciously. No damage...

...but to this day, he's pretty sure that, for an instant, he saw the tail of that airplane through the windshield. :D

It's actually short enough you can almost see the tail through the windshield before engine start...

As mentioned above 2 18's are based out of D74 in Greenwood Delaware N4001A(AT-11) and N5552A(C-45). Both are spray planes and really well maintained. Fly great too.

Oh yeah there's one down here at perry airport, sprayin bugs. Really nice plane. I'm sure there's more outta opa-locka.

Hmmm...just cause i mentioned the 18s here at FLL I haven't heard their drone since last week... oh-oh

anybody looking for a job running freight in the beech 18 PM me. there is an opening at my company for one pilot this winter.

Hey 9drvr,

I've got about 900 hours in the Hamilton Westwind conversion! The company I flew for has five of them. I don't think there were that many built- do you remember the N# of the one you flew? Maybe I flew it too!

Never ground-looped it or came even close, but we never pushed the limits, nor had a full load in the back.

Beech 18/SNB/C-45

I had forgotten after all these years that we used to call it the " the" bugsmasher" or "super Navy Bomber." Not exactly a tone of respect. lol Cracks me up.

Be200pilot said:
anybody looking for a job running freight in the beech 18 PM me. there is an opening at my company for one pilot this winter.

Flying freight in a twin beech during the winter, in icing/icy runways, probably at night??

I'd rather look thru a telescope at the sun......

Latest resources

Back