• Watchers 12

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's what I can come up with;

Dwyair Air Charter, Mason City, IA shows 2 E-18s in the fleet.

Freight Runners Express, MKE shows 1 E-18.

Springdale Air Service used to have a bunch, but are they still around? Heard they went away...

Miami Valley Aviation, Middletown, OH shows 3 E-18s.

Tolair Services, San Juan, PR has 5 of 'em.

Gotta be a few more here and there I'm sure...

Duh. Forgive my numb brain. I said tigercat, which would have been a F7F, as that was what was on my mind. Round engines, and all...The difference between the beech and the panther would have been even more of a shock.

Last edited:
Phillips Air? out of del Rio, TX has a Beech 18 and a modified version with a fuselage plug, nosegear and DC3 engines. Both fly airborne stuff out of SAT

metrodriver said:
Phillips Air? out of del Rio, TX has a Beech 18 and a modified version with a fuselage plug, nosegear and DC3 engines. Both fly airborne stuff out of SAT

DC-3 engines??? Would that be the Wright Cyclone R-1820 or the Pratt & Whitney Wasp R-1830?? Having turned wrenches/busted knuckles on both DC-3's and twin Beeches, I'd say it's a virtual impossibility to mount either one of these moters on a twin Beech, due to the tremendous size difference between them and P&W R-985. I believe Volpar made a conversion with a fuselage plug, utilizing tri-cycle gear and Garrett turboprops. Or perhaps you're referring to a Lockheed Lodestar, which looks a lot like a twin Beech on steroids, and did come with Wright R-1820's. There are two types of people who fly twin Beeches, those who have ground looped them, and those who will ground loop them. Most of the operators referred to in this thread are feeders for the night freighters, so your run in this A/C will put you flying at night, in all weather, over all types of terrain. (risky business) Good luck, and don't push your limitations.

Panthers

I flew the Panther-F9F-5-a little later....after the Korean War. Only had 4-5 months and 150 hrs. in it but loved it..... great gunnery airplane. Never flew it off the ship. I did fly the Cougar- F9F-8- and had some CV landings in it. I flew off the Hornet, Ticonderoga, Lexington and a few others but mostly the Coral Sea, later on, when the A4's first came out. I did not fly off the Randolph. By the way, none of these airplanes had an excess of power including the A4 as it was always loaded

There are two types of people who fly twin Beeches, those who have ground looped them, and those who will ground loop them.

That's just flat-out not true. The airplane is a little short coupled, but that's about it. The liklihood of a pilot groundlooping the airplane is a competency issue. It's very improper to imply that this is a liklihood for pilots in general. A poor carpenter blames his tools, but there is nothing wrong with the airplane.

Ground Loop

Well, count me as one of the improper. Dropped a passenger off in MIA and was taxiing too fast downwind on a parallel taxiiway and turned a 90 deg corner into the run-up area. The tail came around another 270 degrees that full power on the outboard engine could not stop into a perfect runup position. Always blamed it on a 200# raft carried near the aft bulkhead but I really knew different. lol

Latest resources

Back