• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Barnstormers Aerial Advertising

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, he's owned over and over and still digging.

Classic.

CE

"Owned?" You're not one of those pathetic little pilots who fears a simple little job like picking up a banner, are you?

Again, a poor carpenter blames his tools. Here we've seen many inadequate pilots who blame the job, rather than themselves. What we have here is both a lack of skill, a dearth of responsibility.

"Badass?" Hardly.

When barbie can't handle picking up a banner, and finds it dangerous, she needs to return to the kitchen, or grooming dogs, or whatever floats his or her boat. It's not dangerous, unless one is a poor enough pilot to make it so...but this isn't the job, it's the pilot. Again, a poor carpenter blames his tools. One who finds a simple and undemanding benign job such as towing a banner to be "dangerous" is either lying, or so inexperienced as not to know what he or she is talking about, or simply a poor pilot who's not up to the task. The job itself, however, is far from dangerous. There are few jobs in aviation that are as simple, and safe.

If indeed one is so constricted as to feel banner towing is "dangerous," then indeed one may see anything else in this industry as "badass." That terminology and mentality is best reserved for those fresh out of toilet training and without the experience or position from which to speak knowledgeably. One who thinks banner towing is dangerous might just as well see butter-carving or macrame as "badass," too. It's really a poor commentary on the sheltered life in which you live, and neither of us needs to show a resume to know that.

"Owned?" You're not one of those pathetic little pilots who fears a simple little job like picking up a banner, are you?

Again, a poor carpenter blames his tools. Here we've seen many inadequate pilots who blame the job, rather than themselves. What we have here is both a lack of skill, a dearth of responsibility.

How many banners have you picked up in your esteemed career as a pain in the ass to everyone around you? I suppose I should ask how many you have seen picked up because I am sure you have twisted that into you actually doing it. avbug you spend so much time lashing out at people and acting like you are the almighty of aviation, maybe you should sit down and realize you are probably average at best. If you had a set you would throw your resume out there so we could all laugh at it.

You people are gonna get it! Don't you know that God is seated at the right hand of Avbug? I bet Avbug wraps himself up each Christmas and slaps a tag that says:

TO: Everyone in Aviation

Perhaps I'll get better tools this year so I can no longer blame them.

If I wanted to go back in time today but realized I cannot, should I blame my failure as a scientist or the lack of technology?

You're not wrong that some pilots are poor and blame the equipment errantly. However, that does not mean that every aviation endeavor is necessarily easy or wise.

You have regaled us with your harrowing stories of "flights under power lines," and we are all very impressed. However, everything is relative... and your multiple sorties where you were fired upon or landed on the moon make banner towing seem mundane, indeed. When compared to airline flying or flight instructing, for example, the banner towing biz involves more real risks that have little to do with pilot abilities or lack thereof.

Last edited:
If I wanted to go back in time today but realized I cannot, should I blame my failure as a scientist or the lack of technology?

You're not wrong that some pilots are poor and blame the equipment errantly. However, that does not mean that every aviation endeavor is necessarily easy or wise.

You have regaled us with your harrowing stories of "flights under power lines," and we are all very impressed. However, everything is relative... and your multiple sorties where you were fired upon or landed on the moon make banner towing seem mundane, indeed. When compared to airline flying or flight instructing, for example, the banner towing biz involves more real risks that have little to do with pilot abilities or lack thereof.

That's absolutely hilarious I still can't get over the moon landing portion of that text!! I love this guys aviation stories!!!

Perhaps I'll get better tools this year so I can no longer blame them.

A better tool won't make you a better pilot,carpenter, or mechanic, if you're not up to the job. If you're concerned about the tools rather than your own performance, you've missed the mark. In this case, the "tool" is the banner towing operation. It's not the banner towing that's dangerous; it's the pilot. The job can be done safely, and easily. It's the pilot who is either capable, or not. Those who blame the job and suggest it's dangerous only betray their own ineptitude.

When compared to airline flying or flight instructing, for example, the banner towing biz involves more real risks that have little to do with pilot abilities or lack thereof.

Neither flight instruction nor airline operations are utility flying, whereas towing a banner is. Flight instruction, indeed a flight instructor certificate, is a teaching endeavor...not a pilot endeavor. Airline flying isn't more or less dangerous than banner towing. Neither is dangerous. The only component of either one is the pilot. Banner towing doesn't involve risks. A risk is a hazard one puts in play. One needn't accept, nor put in play a hazard. A hazard is a potential, and can easily be accounted. A risk is a potential realized when the pilot gives it an opportunity, or gives it a life.

A year or so ago we had a military pilot on flightinfo who insisted that banner towing was the most dangerous thing he'd ever done. It's a truly sad thing to imagine such a poorly informed, and incapable individual burning tax payer dollars inspite of his own incompetence. Perhaps the dilbert principle at work. Who knows?

Banner towing needs no comparison. Even for one with no experience, there's no reason to suggest banner towing is dangerous. It's not. It's little more than picking up an object and dropping it again, with the ability release it at any time, and a full foreknowledge of what to expect. It requires no particular skill or effort. It's little more than flying slowly for extended periods of time, with the greatest challenges being staying awake, and watching cylinder heat temperatures.

To make a ridiculous claim that towing a banner is a dangerous endeavor is to make claims about one's own inability, and lack of professionalism.

A better tool won't make you a better pilot,carpenter, or mechanic, if you're not up to the job. If you're concerned about the tools rather than your own performance, you've missed the mark. In this case, the "tool" is the banner towing operation. It's not the banner towing that's dangerous; it's the pilot. The job can be done safely, and easily. It's the pilot who is either capable, or not. Those who blame the job and suggest it's dangerous only betray their own ineptitude.

Neither flight instruction nor airline operations are utility flying, whereas towing a banner is. Flight instruction, indeed a flight instructor certificate, is a teaching endeavor...not a pilot endeavor. Airline flying isn't more or less dangerous than banner towing. Neither is dangerous. The only component of either one is the pilot. Banner towing doesn't involve risks. A risk is a hazard one puts in play. One needn't accept, nor put in play a hazard. A hazard is a potential, and can easily be accounted. A risk is a potential realized when the pilot gives it an opportunity, or gives it a life.

A year or so ago we had a military pilot on flightinfo who insisted that banner towing was the most dangerous thing he'd ever done. It's a truly sad thing to imagine such a poorly informed, and incapable individual burning tax payer dollars inspite of his own incompetence. Perhaps the dilbert principle at work. Who knows?

Banner towing needs no comparison. Even for one with no experience, there's no reason to suggest banner towing is dangerous. It's not. It's little more than picking up an object and dropping it again, with the ability release it at any time, and a full foreknowledge of what to expect. It requires no particular skill or effort. It's little more than flying slowly for extended periods of time, with the greatest challenges being staying awake, and watching cylinder heat temperatures.

To make a ridiculous claim that towing a banner is a dangerous endeavor is to make claims about one's own inability, and lack of professionalism.

Out of curiosity, what kind of flying would you consider "dangerous"? (Relatively, of course)

His idea of picking up banners is rolling them up and putting them in the van.
(not dangerous at all)

Latest resources

Back