• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Repeat after me:

DON'T PAY FOR TRAINING

DON'T PAY FOR TRAINING

DON'T PAY FOR TRAINING

Use a ball-peen hammer for reinforcement.

CE

These companies don't charge for banner tow training. You need your own tailwheel endorsement in advance:

Paramount Air Service in NJ
High Exposure in NJ and elsewhere
Van Wagner at HWO and elsewhere

Check out companies up the eastern seaboard VA MD and NJ. SC to FL are where you usually find the shady PFT deals.

Dont count barnstormers out!

I worked for Sky Signs in 06' and logged over 700 hours in a supercub and enjoyed every minute of it and would not give up that experience for anything. I paid 2000 for my training then. 3500 sounds a little steep but fuel and insurance costs have risen. With sky signs gone now and barnstormers doing all the advertising this investment will pay off. 700 hours times 12-15 an hour =$8400-10500. with a net of 4900-7000 for 3 1/2 months flying. This equals 1428-2000 a month to fly your tail off learn a sh--load about real flying and having fun in a beautiful environment surrounded with a bunch of guys having a great time. I don't care what anyone says about banner towing and how dangerous it is yada yada yada. Flying is dangerous---get over it. Be smart, don't take risks and it can be just as safe as driving to the grocery store. I fly in the bush Alaska now and have been able to apply a lot of technique and lessons learned from banner towing that just could not have been possible if I wasted my time --not flying---- as a flight instructor.

...anyone else smell an open cam-o-worms?

I worked for Sky Signs in 06' and logged over 700 hours in a supercub and enjoyed every minute of it and would not give up that experience for anything. I paid 2000 for my training then. 3500 sounds a little steep but fuel and insurance costs have risen. With sky signs gone now and barnstormers doing all the advertising this investment will pay off. 700 hours times 12-15 an hour =$8400-10500. with a net of 4900-7000 for 3 1/2 months flying. This equals 1428-2000 a month to fly your tail off learn a sh--load about real flying and having fun in a beautiful environment surrounded with a bunch of guys having a great time. I don't care what anyone says about banner towing and how dangerous it is yada yada yada. Flying is dangerous---get over it. Be smart, don't take risks and it can be just as safe as driving to the grocery store. I fly in the bush Alaska now and have been able to apply a lot of technique and lessons learned from banner towing that just could not have been possible if I wasted my time --not flying---- as a flight instructor.

Yes and 700 hours divided by 3 and 1/2 months equals 200 hours per month....surely this must be part 91 since you're getting "paid" (sarcasm)...

wait a minute

Yes and 700 hours divided by 3 and 1/2 months equals 200 hours per month....surely this must be part 91 since you're getting "paid" (sarcasm)...

Let me clear things up. At this operation you will log 40+ hours a week and you will get the hours you need to get a Job flying 135 or 121. I am sure there are a lot of scumbag operators out there that will swindle your money and leave you for broke without your hours. Do your homework and stay away from those. We must keep things in perspective here. We are talking about paying for 25 hours of training--picking up and dropping banners---in a supercub or pa-12. This is time that their insurance company requires. Barnstormers and Skysigns had to instill some kind of incentive(money) for the individual interested in doing this kind of work and staying. Without this incentive to work there are many scumbag pilots who would take their hours and walk, thus forfeiting any profit the operator may have seen. We are talking about a small time operator that is doing what it needs to do to train people and have them stick around. We are not talking about paying an airline to be an FO. Long live sky 11.

25 hours flying dual while the company is making money off the sign behind. Is this what your saying?

25 hours flying dual while the company is making money off the sign behind. Is this what your saying?

The 25 hours is training time with no revenue during that time. It is just takeoffs and landings, practice swinging a hook and then practice pickups and drops.

It took me 3 hours of pickups and drops and 2 more of dual towing. 25 hours? what the hell are they doing for the other 20?

Scam? you bet.

CE

Latest resources

Back