• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Barnstormers Aerial Advertising

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My first job out of high school was ag work (crop dusting). Since that time I've done everything from spray illegal crops to emergency medical to aerial firefighting in every form, to towing banners, gliders, and tossing skydivers, and other duties involving some element of pressure, certain hazards (ranging from people shooting to high winds, extreme turbulence, high density altitudes, numerous low level obstacles, and other threats).

In my experience, banner towing is hardly anywhere near the top of the list, or even the bottom of the list, when it comes to hazards, risks, or danger. It's a slow, simple, easy job. True enough, mishaps occur, but by and large these are the result of inexperience and poor pilot techniques and practices, as well as poor maintenance practices...and are hardly the fault of banner towing.

Again, a poor carpenter blames his tools. One who blames banner towing for one's misadventures is misplacing the blame, and making a ringing condemnation on one's self.

My first job out of high school was ag work (crop dusting). Since that time I've done everything from spray illegal crops to emergency medical to aerial firefighting in every form, to towing banners, gliders, and tossing skydivers, and other duties involving some element of pressure, certain hazards (ranging from people shooting to high winds, extreme turbulence, high density altitudes, numerous low level obstacles, and other threats).

In my experience, banner towing is hardly anywhere near the top of the list, or even the bottom of the list, when it comes to hazards, risks, or danger. It's a slow, simple, easy job. True enough, mishaps occur, but by and large these are the result of inexperience and poor pilot techniques and practices, as well as poor maintenance practices...and are hardly the fault of banner towing.

Again, a poor carpenter blames his tools. One who blames banner towing for one's misadventures is misplacing the blame, and making a ringing condemnation on one's self.

Is your resume available in PDF format somewhere?

All hail avbug, he's seen and done it all!!! What ever avbug has not done is therefore below him and or his own high ability levels. I wish I was as skilled and awesome as avbug.

What a complete pipe smoker!

I would love to see avbugs resume, most of his flying is probably hangar time, I am sure he spends most of his time recounting stories he has heard from other pilots or read in books. avbug is so full of bull sh!t it is silly.

"Badass?" Hardly.

When barbie can't handle picking up a banner, and finds it dangerous, she needs to return to the kitchen, or grooming dogs, or whatever floats his or her boat. It's not dangerous, unless one is a poor enough pilot to make it so...but this isn't the job, it's the pilot. Again, a poor carpenter blames his tools. One who finds a simple and undemanding benign job such as towing a banner to be "dangerous" is either lying, or so inexperienced as not to know what he or she is talking about, or simply a poor pilot who's not up to the task. The job itself, however, is far from dangerous. There are few jobs in aviation that are as simple, and safe.

If indeed one is so constricted as to feel banner towing is "dangerous," then indeed one may see anything else in this industry as "badass." That terminology and mentality is best reserved for those fresh out of toilet training and without the experience or position from which to speak knowledgeably. One who thinks banner towing is dangerous might just as well see butter-carving or macrame as "badass," too. It's really a poor commentary on the sheltered life in which you live, and neither of us needs to show a resume to know that.

It's really a poor commentary on the sheltered life in which you live, and neither of us needs to show a resume to know that.

You know nothing about me, and I haven't said anywhere that banner work is dangerous. You have made several assumptions because I took a shot at the obviously pompous nature of your post. Whatever you need to believe, avbug.

However, you have posted your resume several times on FI threads.

We are all duly impressed.

"Badass?" Hardly.

When barbie can't handle picking up a banner, and finds it dangerous, she needs to return to the kitchen, or grooming dogs, or whatever

That's not sexist at all, we all know that avbug can do anything better than a woman, can't you avbug. Thanks be to god that avbug is around to grace everyone with his aviation prowess. Maybe I could be lucky enough to be taken under his wing and taught a few things about what is safe and what is dangerous in the aviation world. I am guessing that flying with him would top one of the most dangerous things you could do in an airplane though.

Latest resources

Back