• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Bags?

Apache 5

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 30, 2005
Posts
136
Total Time
++++
Saw the thread on shoes. Starting class and guess I need a bag...seems alot of people have the Travelpro. I've head the purdy neats are a bit better, but more expensive. Any thoughts, tips would be appreciated.
 

lowlycfi

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Posts
595
Total Time
-
Posted this on another thread:

I just bought my first new roller bag in 12 years of flying. Another PNT Stealth737 to replace my old one (and my old one is still in working order). I wanted one without the Southwest Airlines logo on the front. Although they've gone up in price (I paid $110 for my first one), I think they're worth every penny. A little heavy, yes, but I've used mine on 4-5 three day trips per month, plus several vacations, checked it, had it thrown into and out of probably 1500 or more hotel vans, dragged it several blocks back and forth to a crashpad and it is still in good shape! I've replaced the wheels a few times, and sent it to PNT a couple of times for refurbishment, for a modest charge. Good product and good service. I'm a customer for life.
 

jtf

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 26, 2002
Posts
732
Total Time
Enough
The purdy neats are absolute tanks- they will take a heck of beating and last forever. The only negative is they weigh as much as a tank with the metal frame. I am personally a cheap bastard and have used the same Samsonite for the last 5 years. I used to live in Denver and got a great deal at the Samsonite factory outlet (also they give pilots 25% off the already good prices there if you tell them your a pilot). I would suggest getting a quality bag that will last a long time- I see a lot of FOs going on 2 cheap bags a year and they would save money overall if they just got the good bag. I'll probably get a purdy neat next now that I am finally a captain and can afford a little more, but the $100 I spent on the Samsonite has been well worth it.
 

propsarebest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Posts
1,559
Total Time
....
go to costco and buy their bag, they have a lifetime warranty, you just take it nback and they replace it on the spot!
 

joe_pilot

There be whales here!
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Posts
592
Total Time
>0
propsarebest said:
go to costco and buy their bag, they have a lifetime warranty, you just take it nback and they replace it on the spot!
...or go to WalMart. They have a black roll-aboard for $22 and change. I don't know the brand but it has a red "R" on the zippers. Looks fine, will last about 5 months before the wheels go. Then return to WalMart for a replacement. I'm on my third one.

Save your money for beer and condoms.

Edit:BTW it fits perfectly in the CRJ overhead.
 

wheelsup

Non-Registered User
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Posts
737
Total Time
>1
I bought a 22" samsonite at TJ Max, $73.00.

I am also a cheap bastard.

~wheelsup
 

sleddriver77

Reformed Bush Pilot
Joined
Feb 16, 2002
Posts
277
Total Time
10000+
joe_pilot said:
...or go to WalMart. They have a black roll-aboard for $22 and change. I don't know the brand but it has a red "R" on the zippers. Looks fine, will last about 5 months before the wheels go. Then return to WalMart for a replacement. I'm on my third one.

Save your money for beer and condoms.

Edit:BTW it fits perfectly in the CRJ overhead.
Think they discontinued that, based upon my last trip to WalMart. My LuggageWorks/Purdy Neat arrived today, and tomorrow at first light, my Walmart bag and I are going to the parking lot for a little meeting with the dumpster.
 

meatwallet

certified muff diver
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Posts
140
Total Time
3:16
stay away from travelpro. i paid too much, and it's falling apart. never again
 

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
Joined
Jan 19, 2004
Posts
13,422
Total Time
X>X
Be a real Pilot and get a PNT/LW bag.

TravelPro is for girls, Flight Attendants and pax who fly twice a year.

The WalMart/Costco return program is for cheap pilots. Stepping over a buck to save a nickel?

If you take the cost of the PNT bag and divide it by the number of years you'll get out of it combined with the number of scam trips to WalMart to get a fresh pile of steaming Chinese manufactured dog poo, you'll find the PNT Bag is more cost effective and your FO won't sterotype you as the cheap punk that you are when you show up with squeeky wheels and broken handles, pulling/dragging along your suitcase as if it was a worn out leather clad gimp.

Be a Man.
 

rightrudder

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 8, 2002
Posts
506
Total Time
7000+
I second the Costco bag. 89 bucks and a lifetime guarantee. It's a pretty good bag too.
 

joe_pilot

There be whales here!
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Posts
592
Total Time
>0
Rez O. Lewshun said:
Be a real Pilot and get a PNT/LW bag.

TravelPro is for girls, Flight Attendants and pax who fly twice a year.

The WalMart/Costco return program is for cheap pilots. Stepping over a buck to save a nickel?

If you take the cost of the PNT bag and divide it by the number of years you'll get out of it combined with the number of scam trips to WalMart to get a fresh pile of steaming Chinese manufactured dog poo, you'll find the PNT Bag is more cost effective and your FO won't sterotype you as the cheap punk that you are when you show up with squeeky wheels and broken handles, pulling/dragging along your suitcase as if it was a worn out leather clad gimp.

Be a Man.
That's pretty dang funny. I'm still not gonna get rid of my WalMart bag, but that's pretty dang funny. I guess there were people in Bentonville who laughed at Sam Walton when he drove around in his beat up old pickup. I'm comfortable with that. :)
 

blackbox

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Posts
383
Total Time
1000
Rez O. Lewshun said:
Be a real Pilot and get a PNT/LW bag.

TravelPro is for girls, Flight Attendants and pax who fly twice a year.



Be a Man.
Haha, I always joke that the pilots ahve the Purdy neat bags and the FA have the Travelpros. I got a travelpro myself. The only problem I have with it, is that it barely fits into the overhead bin of a CRJ. I got the expandable version. Maybe if you dont the expandable, it will fit easily without having to struggle. I would recommend the purdy neat. i plan to get that next once i upgrade (so i can afford it) and my travelpro falls apart.

be a man....Did you get that from Russell Peters?
 

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
Joined
Jan 19, 2004
Posts
13,422
Total Time
X>X
blackbox said:
Haha, I always joke that the pilots ahve the Purdy neat bags and the FA have the Travelpros. I got a travelpro myself. The only problem I have with it, is that it barely fits into the overhead bin of a CRJ. I got the expandable version. Maybe if you dont the expandable, it will fit easily without having to struggle. I would recommend the purdy neat. i plan to get that next once i upgrade (so i can afford it) and my travelpro falls apart.

be a man....Did you get that from Russell Peters?
Well, since the stopover store is in DTW and MSP and the crew shop in ATL has PNT/LW bags, more and more FA's are geting wise to the real deal.

Russell Peters? Who the hel! is that? I'm a man and I advocate being a man. If you're a man you should be one too!!!
 

lowlycfi

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Posts
595
Total Time
-
Rez O. Lewshun said:
more and more FA's are geting wise to the real deal.
Been wise to this since I became a F/A. Proud to say I've never had a TravelPro.
 
Top