• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bad news for NWA pilots and pilots in general

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For the junior guys, (you know, the ones who will be out on furlough for forever and a day, and then return to fly for peanuts, and no benefit's) I don't think the decision to strike will be a tough one. For the senior guys, who are looking to retire in a few years, it's a different story. I agree that it is time for old Duane to get off his a$$, stop the tough talk, and do something. He should be all over the media raising a stink about this BS. Hell, he should be out on the street conrner raving to anyone who will listen.

My bet is that the FA's will strike.

PCL_128 said:
It is very possible that a strike will occur. If the judge orders the scope changes at the end of the 51 day period, then the NWA pilots might engage in self-help. Of course, that will probably mean the end of Northwest Airlines, but management will have lost. It's a tough decision for the NWA MEC and pilot group to make.

Deli Guy said:
Hey 320AV8R,
TY Webb is correct. I followed up one of these complaints for some JBlue guys and our JS coordinator is in a position where he can lecture the few crackpot Capt's--but can not enforce any action. He really does try hard to bring them back from the "dark side" but he has had no luck..I guess the handfull of of "bad seeds" in question are targeting the JB, Air Tran, Spirit folks.
Hey Ty,
There are a bunch of folks here (320AV8R included) who are apalled and embarassed to work at the same company as these "vigalante captains". We will keep spreading the word about this in an effort to halt it. I can tell you that in almost 8 years I have never flown with a capt that denied anyone the JS.

Deli-

I fly 80 to 85 hours each month, and carry offline jumpseaters all the time. The ONLY denial was a SABENA guy about 7 years ago. We called the CP to see if there was anything we could do to make it work, but there wasn't.

Ty-

Like Deli said, our J/S coordinator is a real good guy. He WILL follow up with a phone call, etc to the Captain in question, but can't mandate the Captain carry anyone. My advice woud be to go through your J/S guy. If enough complaints come in about a certain Captain, maybe that will produce a change.

I can't think of anyone who would deny a J/S out of spite, etc.... Everyone on the list, (& it's quite lengthy), shoud be able to ride if space is avaiable.
This includes AirTran, JB, Spirit, etc.....

Every company has their 5% of a-holes. Try not to judge the entire NWA pilot group based on the actions of our 5%. My appologies to anyone who has encountered one of them.

320AV8R

Again all the management blame and bashing, who has a plan to keep the pilot pay at the 2000 level? Raise fares?, again Air Tran, spirit, JB, and SWA set the the low fare level and they are profitable airlines. If fares rasie, less people fly, then you need fewer airplanes and pilots. Does anyone have an answer other than blame management and not except the fact that revenue will not support 2000 pay rates?

"Every company has their 5% of a-holes. Try not to judge the entire NWA pilot group based on the actions of our 5%. My appologies to anyone who has encountered one of them."

320AV8R[/quote]

My guess is that most of these 5%'ers are MEM, and especially MSP based. To anyone having a problem, please try to get base info (along with all other pertinent data) and post it.
This is HIGHLY embarrassing activity, and every effort should be expended to have it stopped.

5%? Bet it is a fraction of 1%. I have never seen or heard of anyone on the list being denied. Out of MSP I can't count the times we take two (or more) offline guys. Many times a non-rev pilot will ride jumpseat to get another guy in the back. The FEW exceptions are from a couple guys. My experience has been with DAL in the past. I have been denied twice in two years. I didn't go bashing the entire group for one nut......

Last edited:
"I didn't go bashing the entire group for one nut......[/quote]"

I agree. The clowns who are reportedly doing this need to be isolated and exposed ASAP.
My comments about MEM and MSP revolve around the fact that a proportionately higher percentage of DTW guys are commuters themselves, thus a DTW guy giving a difficult time to another jumpseater defies rational thought.

My comments about MEM and MSP revolve around the fact that a proportionately higher percentage of DTW guys are commuters themselves, thus a DTW guy giving a difficult time to another jumpseater defies rational thought.

CB-

Irregardless of their base or aircraft affiliation......the practice should stop.

320AV8R

pilotyip said:
Again all the management blame and bashing, who has a plan to keep the pilot pay at the 2000 level? Raise fares?, again Air Tran, spirit, JB, and SWA set the the low fare level and they are profitable airlines. If fares rasie, less people fly, then you need fewer airplanes and pilots. Does anyone have an answer other than blame management and not except the fact that revenue will not support 2000 pay rates?

Maybe a college degree isn't such a useless thing after all.....

Green it depends upon how long it has been since you used it. A pilot who did not go to college got a 4-yr. jump on his career over the 4-yr degree guy. Maybe that four-year jump has enough seniority to keep his job when the 4-yr degree guy gets laid off? It is a possibility.

I'm pretty sure Green was being sarcastic given the number of grammatical and syntax errors in the referenced pilot's post.

That is one thing I've noticed lately at the regional level - most new-hires are YOUNG and have NOT been through college. They then do college by correspondence while they're currently flying.

After going the traditional non-millitary route, I sometimes find myself in envy of a 26 year old CA who IS SENIOR TO ME and has the same flight time I do at 34 and, by the time he's 29, will have more PIC than I have now.

Competition gets more and more fierce for those coveted major slots and, between military pilots (who have the degree anyway) and these wonder-kids, it makes it harder and harder to justify the traditional non-PFT route... no wonder so many people go that direction.

Not to mention making the diffrence when displacements and furloughs come along.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back