Bad news for AF guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Looks like a duck!

Stop loss isn't a manning tool? Why do we have three guys in my squadron with jobs waiting for them on the outside being "stop lossed" while the AF lets three more guys who are staying in continue their AF careers and go on to school slots and non-mws flying? I thought it was important to keep these guys around to help in the "war" effort. I wouldn't want this silly war to get in the way of a prosperous AF career. In one breath they tell us they need us around to fly and then they let guys go to non-flying jobs!

New statement from AETC Commander

My OG told me this morning that the AECT Commander put out a message saying he will only grant a waiver to Stop Loss if the pilot is going to a Guard or Reserve unit.

My OG signed a Stop Loss waiver request for me so I could retire. He doesn't know if the AETC CC's comments only apply to less than 20 year pilots that are just seperating and not retiring or if the AETC CC is planning to hold all retirees on active duty until Stop Loss is over and just let out <20 year pilots who are going to the Guard/Reserve.

If the plan is to hold Retirees, then I was right when I said that when I hit 20 years and decided to retire that I lost my TEAM PLAYER status.

Where are the facts?

I noticed that the press release was very adamant in stating that Stop Loss isn't a manning tool, but the provided absolutely no facts to back up that statement. You'd think if it was true that could actually provide some evidence supporting it.

Hey All,
I am in the reserves as well and came off of active duty in Sept. I got laid off Oct 1st (I was working for a major while on terminal leave :D ). At any rate, our unit has been told to expect two years of activation. That gives us 18 months left. If it is true, that stop loss won't be lifted until reserve/guard units deactivate, you can count on a long stop loss. As of last month, some two star at TACC told us that there was no one in the pipeline to replace us and to expect at least a 2 year activation. He continued to explain that we are in this for the long haul and that it won't take much to keep us going beyond two years!
I can see a lot of guys bailing from the reserves when this is all said and done. Of course, we also have people going back on active duty. It all depends on which airline you were flying with before getting activated! All the US Air guys are hoping for an activation for as long as possible! I stopped trying to figure out AFPC after my non-vol tour. I told them I would take a Tweet so that another guy in my squadron wouldn't have to take it. Nope, I got non-volled to the Herk and the other guy had to take the Tweet. So, two of us got nothing and both got out. He is now flying for Fed Ex and I am furloughed! :)

See ya, let's hang in there together!

-W

I heard about the stop loss waivers for those going to Guard/Reserve slots. Are there any Guard/Reserve flying slots open? I've been looking and seems they are all filled up for the time being.

Any reserve units out there hiring?

Manning Tool

I think you'll know for sure that stop loss is a maning tool when the following happens...
they start granting more waivers on a case by case basis.
This way they don't have to drop stop loss totally, can let some guys go and continue to train. When their numbers come up, they'll eventually let the guard boys and girls go home, and then they won't have such a mass exodus at one time.

I hope it doesn't happen, just one scenario.

Best of luck ..

Padre, check out www.baseops.net for guard/reserve jobs. Lots of herk units out there hiring...
As far as the end of stop loss, I think I read that AFPC is planning on ending it in stages, dont ask me how, so as to test the retention numbers before it is fully ended. Proof positive stop loss is a retention tool.
You know it's bad when T-37 part-time reservists are being non-vol'd for 1+ yrs to "fly" Global Hawk.

I love that double-speak that ebbs from the Taj Mahal:

"Some military members have the misperception that Stop-Loss is being used as a manning tool, Middleton said.

“Though it’s easy to make that assumption,” Middleton said, “it is absolutely not true. Manning is certainly one of the factors taken into consideration, but it is looked at in terms of what is needed to meet current mission requirements.”

If manning is taken into consideration for meeting mission requirements(of course it is), then Stop Loss IS a tool. This is all preaching to the choir I know. I wish they would call a few guys from the squadrons up to Capital Hill to speak about some of these issues. I doubt any 11s or 12s will be on the list this year with the talk about the Guard and Reserves staying activated. This is going to get ugly.

Check this out

I posted this on another thread, but thought some of y'all might get a kick out of seeing exactly what the AFSC's were that they realeased. Here are just a few, but most of them are med AFSCs.

These are just the officers:
42F-podiatrist
42T-occupational therapist
47P-prosthodontist (i don't even know what this is)
45N-otorhinolaryngobgist (or this)
45G-gynecologist
44P-psychologist
35P-public affairs
42S-clinical social worker
61S-Scientist
47G-Dentist
44J-Clinical Geneticist
45U-Urologist
51J-Judge Advocate

And the list continues, but it's more of the same. Now I understand why they made us wait an extra 10 days for the message. There must've been a lot of deliberation about letting all the gynecologists and clinical geneticists out!

ETX

Latest resources

Back