Bad news for AF guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hiflier

New stop-loss message out and no 11 series on there. I wish we could go break things and kill people and get it over with.
Boots

How is that bad news. We still get month to month paychecks for awhile, especially when classes are slim.

stop loss stuff

I have heard from a reliable source that stop loss for pilots will in all likelihood continue through at least September. The same source says that with all going on in Middle East, AF is "toying" with the idea of continuing it for another year. Of course, it will be reviewed every 60 days.

Other rumors are abound that activated guard/reserve units are being told another year might be "tacked" on.

This is not official but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. AF is in a bind. They need activated guard/reserves to augment the missions but they can't end stop loss until guard/reserves are deactivated.

Stop-loss message

The new message has been released but has not been updated on the AFPC website yet.
Boots

Today's Air Force News More AF News

Air Force releases several specialties from Stop-Loss

Note All stories and images on this site are in the public domain and do not require copyright release. Please credit all photos to U.S. Air Force.

Air Force releases several specialties from Stop-Loss
by Master Sgt. Dorothy Goepel
Air Force Print News
04/09/02 - WASHINGTON -- Air Force officials announced April 9 the release of several Air Force Specialty Codes from Stop-Loss, a Defense Department program designed to retain members of the armed forces beyond established dates of separation or retirement.

The announcement comes as a result of an Air Force 60-day review and applies across the board to the active duty, Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard forces, according to Lt. Col. Jan Middleton, chief of promotion, evaluation and separation policy at the Pentagon.

“Our exit plan calls for a gradual drawdown from Stop-Loss, which means we want to continue to release AFSCs with each review as long as we are able to maintain sufficient forces to meet mission requirements,” she said.

The officer career fields released from stop-loss restrictions, effective May 1, are: 32E, 33S, 35P, 42F, 42G, 42N, 42P, 42S, 42T, 43P, 43Y, 44B, 44F, 44G, 44J, 44K, 44N, 44P, 44R, 44S, 44T, 44U, 45E, 45G, 45N, 45U, 47E, 47G, 47H, 47K, 47P, 47S, 51J, 61S, 62E, 63A and 64P.

The enlisted career fields released from stop-loss restrictions, effective May 1, are: 1T0X0, 2A1X0, 2A390, 2S0X2, 3C1X1, 3C1X2, 3E1X1, 3E3X1, 3E6X1, 3S1X0, 3S1X1, 3S2X0, 3S2X1, 3V000, 3V090, 3V0X1, 3V0X2, 3V0X3, 4A0X0, 4A0X1, 4B0XX, 4C0X0, 4C0X1, 4D0X0, 4D0X1, 4M0X0, 4M0X1, 4N1X1, 4P0X0, 4P0X1, 4R0X1, 4T0X0, 4T0X1, 4T0X2, 4T0X3, 4U0X0, 4U0X1, 4V0X0, 4V0X1, 4Y0X0, 4Y0X1, 4Y0X2, 5J0X0, 5J0X1, 6C0X0, 6C0X1, 8A100, 8C000, 8E000, 8G000, 8J000, 8P000, 8P100, 8R000, 8T000, 9A200, 9A300, 9C000 and 9G000.

During each cyclical review, Middleton explained, officials at the major commands, at the Air Staff and Secretariat, and at the Air Force Personnel Center review all AFSCs for possible release.

“We review current manning and authorizations, the number of people deployed for operations Noble Eagle and Enduring Freedom, the number of Air Reserve Center personnel mobilized, and overall health of the career fields,” Middleton said. “We will conduct subsequent reviews every 60 days to allow individuals some stability and allow our requirements to solidify.”

Members who are deployed in support of operations Noble Eagle and Enduring Freedom, or related operations, and Reserve and Guard components who are voluntarily or involuntarily on active duty in support of these operations or related operations, will not be released until they return from deployment or are demobilized, officials said.

Officials emphasized that Stop-Loss is devised to meet all operational requirements in addition to Operation Noble Eagle and Operation Enduring Freedom. For instance, they point out, the Armed Forces will continue to conduct operations in Southwest Asia.

Some military members have the misperception that Stop-Loss is being used as a manning tool, Middleton said.

“Though it’s easy to make that assumption,” Middleton said, “it is absolutely not true. Manning is certainly one of the factors taken into consideration, but it is looked at in terms of what is needed to meet current mission requirements.”

Stop-Loss does not mean that service members are prohibited from retiring, separating or being discharged. A waiver of stop-loss status may be granted based on specific circumstances, officials said.

“We really want to do right by our service members,” Middleton said. “Many families had to put their plans on hold when Stop-Loss was implemented. We are grateful for their service and their sacrifices. We are trying to balance their needs with our commitment to operational requirements.

“The career fields that we have recommended for release from Stop-Loss are still subject to world events. If world events change significantly, we will have to re-evaluate our decisions.”

Archive
2002: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
2001: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
2000: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
1999: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
1998: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
1997: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
1996: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
1995: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec

USAF News
AF Link Plus
AF TV News
AF Press Releases
AF Radio News
Airman Magazine
Base Newspapers
E-mail subscription
Feedback
Major Command
Air Combat Command
Air Education and Training Command
Air Force Materiel Command
Air Mobility Command
Air Force Space Command
Air Force Personnel Center
Air Force Reserve
Air Force Special Operations Command Air National Guard
DefenseLink News
US Air Forces in Europe
Pacific Air Forces

Defense News
DefenseLink News
Retiree News

Please read the security and privacy notice Top>

I fear there will be a huge vacuum

What scares me the most is that no-one up top is looking at the fact that when they do end stop Loss, Hundreds of Pilots are going to get out at once. Instead of letting guys get out in the normal flow monthly. When they figure out there is going to be this hugh vacuum producted, the AF is going to continue stop loss to prevent the vacuum. And the Guard/Reserve is even going to have as many guys punching out, which will in-turn create a bigger vacuum in the active duty ranks as active duty pilots will have more opportunities to get Guard/Reserve jobs.

This crisis management of Pilots will never end. Only get worse I fear.

OPEO1

Tell me you're not surprised the AF pilot manning folks can't see past the end of their noses. It is a mess, and unfortunately will be for a while.

I don't think day one of the Stop Loss being over, we'll see a mass exodus. Unless the airline picture changes and everyone is hiring again. Even then there won't be classes ready and waiting for all the military folks. Yes a number of folks will bolt to the reserve and guard jobs that might still be waiting for them...but I'm guessing it'll take around 4 months for all the stop-lossees to actually get out.

Sept 11 did wonders for retention, but in a few years the AF will be back were is was a year ago...hurtin'.

See

Here's my take on the mass exodus:
The day Stop Loss ends you'll see a ton of Guard/Reserve guys who already have airline jobs "git while the gittin's good" and drop their papers. This, in turn, will create a vaccum in the Guard/Reserve that will pull pilots off of active duty who are willing to trough for a while waiting for the airlines to pick up. Combine this with the expected resurgance of hirining as the economy recovers and by next spring AF pilot manning will be as bad as ever.
My $.03 (gas prices going up).

Z

don't forget ...

... AFPC clearly using stop loss as a retention tool (despite protests to the contrary) and this kind of bad faith action does cause people to lose faith. This stop loss makes as much sense as the bank did:rolleyes:

I love the idea of the Air Force, I am amazed at what it can do, and I deeply respect those who do it. But the cubicle dwellers in Randolph need to learn how to treat people: too many of the good ones keep getting out.

Another $.03 for ya

Latest resources

Back