Bad IOE experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flybluesurf

I recently washed out of IOE at a well known regional on a jet. I did have some prior 121 experience, mostly in training but not a lot of line flying. The checkairman that I flew with was not very helpful to say the least. Any similar experiences and advice on bringing this issue up at an interview would be appreciated.

Well, what did you get bounced for? that would determine how i'd try and spin it in an interview. good luck though.

flybluesurf said:
The checkairman that I flew with was not very helpful to say the least.

I would keep this particular statement out of your next interview, try to make it into a positive by letting them know how much you have learned from the experience, and how you will utilize this experience to become a better pilot. Make something positive out of it. Cheer up dude! I know that you are pretty bothered by it right now, but it is not the end of your career by any means and in the future you will get to remember this lesson as a learning experience.

From my experience, IOE has been more about teaching myself how to fly a new airplane and less about an instructor teaching me. During my initial OE at Great Lakes, I flew with a guy who made a Marine cry... Not every OE person/sim instructor/ground instructor is going to be worth a hoot. That is the time when you have to buckle down even harder....heck, get pissed off...but fly that plane like you've never flown before. I'm guessing you were transitioning to your first jet. It's a kick in the pants for sure. I've flown with a couple of previous 121 guys who had only flown turboprops...everybody deals with the learning curve when going to a jet. I echo what the previous posters have said. Learn from this and move on to the next airline. Life ain't fair. You might have gotten a bad shake, you might not have. I'd rather have a training failure than a DUI to explain in my next interview.

I had the same marine guy as you did at my prior airline, small world. Yes, this was my first jet. I spoke to others in my class and their experiences were a lot different. They got a lot more help and everyone had pretty much the same problems as I was having except they made it. I didn't have any issues in ground nor in the sim. I know I got the short end of the stick and that is what sucks. Yes, you are right, life ain't fair and that I learned a long time ago. Thanks for the advice though.

flybluesurf said:
I recently washed out of IOE at a well known regional on a jet. I did have some prior 121 experience, mostly in training but not a lot of line flying. The checkairman that I flew with was not very helpful to say the least. Any similar experiences and advice on bringing this issue up at an interview would be appreciated.

Naaah, too easy.

I have talked to numerous FOs at Colgan over the years that have had terrible IOE experiences. Captains yelling at them for doing things "incorrectly" even though they had never been taught the "correct" way. Captains expecting 1000-hour wonders on IOE day 1 to handle getting dumped on an instrument approach to minimums, 170 to the marker.

Though you certainly don't want to make excuses in an interview, airlines do need to get rid of a lot of doosh bag training captains. How many airlines actually ask new hires / upgrades / transitions to do anonymous instructor evaluations? None that I've ever heard of.

HughBeamont said:
I have talked to numerous FOs at Colgan over the years that have had terrible IOE experiences. Captains yelling at them for doing things "incorrectly" even though they had never been taught the "correct" way. Captains expecting 1000-hour wonders on IOE day 1 to handle getting dumped on an instrument approach to minimums, 170 to the marker.

Though you certainly don't want to make excuses in an interview, airlines do need to get rid of a lot of doosh bag training captains. How many airlines actually ask new hires / upgrades / transitions to do anonymous instructor evaluations? None that I've ever heard of.

There is always one or two in the bunch. As a check airman at CJ for 5 years I got the opportunity to fly with most of the pilot group at the time and there were lots of guys who could move the airplane on time and safely, but whom I wouldn't recommend for instructor positions. We had a pretty good group there for awhile until most of them like me have moved on in the last 2 years.

I agree with the statement above about ioe being more about teaching yourself. I had two different ieo guys, the first was better than the second but neither really taught me anything. the second read a book the entire time. I looked at it as more of a supervisor making sure I was doing it right. I know training is all done in the sim but once training is done you should be able to fly the airplane with people on it. If not I think maybe its more of an issue with your instructors during training. Yeah 170 to the marker might be fast for some but again, you did it in the sim. My first flight in the actual plane was to an uncontrolled airport with one of the shortest runways we have. It was pretty but he didnt take the controls... On the same note though... If you are having issues with someone (even though training should have caught it) the ioe guy should be able to help you get through it. Sorry about what happened but look at it as a good learning experience and move on. DONT WORRY ABOUT IT, you will move on.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back