Bad IOE experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HughBeamont said:
I have talked to numerous FOs at Colgan over the years that have had terrible IOE experiences. Captains yelling at them for doing things "incorrectly" even though they had never been taught the "correct" way. Captains expecting 1000-hour wonders on IOE day 1 to handle getting dumped on an instrument approach to minimums, 170 to the marker.

Though you certainly don't want to make excuses in an interview, airlines do need to get rid of a lot of doosh bag training captains. How many airlines actually ask new hires / upgrades / transitions to do anonymous instructor evaluations? None that I've ever heard of.

"Round up for safety"

HughBeamont said:
I have talked to numerous FOs at Colgan over the years that have had terrible IOE experiences. Captains yelling at them for doing things "incorrectly" even though they had never been taught the "correct" way. Captains expecting 1000-hour wonders on IOE day 1 to handle getting dumped on an instrument approach to minimums, 170 to the marker.

Though you certainly don't want to make excuses in an interview, airlines do need to get rid of a lot of doosh bag training captains. How many airlines actually ask new hires / upgrades / transitions to do anonymous instructor evaluations? None that I've ever heard of.

Try 240 to the marker!!!

HughBeamont said:

Colgan was my only IOE experience thus far and it was a very bad one. I am about the easiest person to get along with and am always looking for advice & constructive criticism but when I am doing things at an acceptable level for a new hire and getting screamed at like I was an eight year old that just skipped school for the day, that is completely unacceptable. After I was done he said I did okay and signed me off, huh? Colgan is a great place once you start flying the line but I sure do pity anybody that has to do their IOE in IAH. Good luck! The captain was so degrading, I think the CP's office should surely look into monitoring IOE from the jumpseat. I have heard other stories as well...some being very good IOE experiences from helpful and friendly IOE instructors. We're flying Saabs people, not 777's, please adjust your attitude to fit the level of equipment you're flying.

Later

cx747 said:
Colgan was my only IOE experience thus far and it was a very bad one. I am about the easiest person to get along with and am always looking for advice & constructive criticism but when I am doing things at an acceptable level for a new hire and getting screamed at like I was an eight year old that just skipped school for the day, that is completely unacceptable. After I was done he said I did okay and signed me off, huh? Colgan is a great place once you start flying the line but I sure do pity anybody that has to do their IOE in IAH. Good luck! The captain was so degrading, I think the CP's office should surely look into monitoring IOE from the jumpseat. I have heard other stories as well...some being very good IOE experiences from helpful and friendly IOE instructors. We're flying Saabs people, not 777's, please adjust your attitude to fit the level of equipment you're flying.

Later

Why is the attitude required to fly a Saab any different than that required to fly a 777? Both require the same professionalism and good judgement. The physical size of the airplane doesn't matter.

With that said, having the IOE check airman scream at you is itself not professional or appropriate. This guy or gal needs a major adjustment in his/her instructional technique.

MalmsteenFan said:
Try 240 to the marker!!!

No problem! The trick here is scream in at least 1000 feet low to the marker, lift the nose and you'll be configured by the glideslope. This works best at fields on a plateau. BTW, this is a joke!

flybluesurf said:
I recently washed out of IOE at a well known regional on a jet. I did have some prior 121 experience, mostly in training but not a lot of line flying. The checkairman that I flew with was not very helpful to say the least. Any similar experiences and advice on bringing this issue up at an interview would be appreciated.

You only did 1 IOE trip? With 1 instructor? And then they washed you out? At XJT you would have flown with multiple instructors on at least 60 to 80 hours of IOE before a decision was made. If you were washed out after one 20 hour 4-day, that isn't right...especially if you only flew with 1 instructor.

-Neal

Jolly Roger said:
No problem! The trick here is scream in at least 1000 feet low to the marker, lift the nose and you'll be configured by the glideslope. This works best at fields on a plateau. BTW, this is a joke!

248 to the marker works just fine in DEN on the 1900D with no special maneuvering required. This is not a joke.

248 is the speed the wussies use so they don't overspeed the aircraft. Real men don't care about the barber pole. j/k

AWACoff

HughBeamont said:

We did after initial, reviewed the ground and sim instructors. Not IOE guys though if I remember right...maybe there was a spot for them too, can't recall.

Latest resources

Back