Bad IOE experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AWACoff said:
248 is the speed the wussies use so they don't overspeed the aircraft. Real men don't care about the barber pole. j/k

AWACoff

Please just pull the breaker next time, then there is no buzzer, and if there is no buzzer, then there is no overspeed. problem solved

threegreen said:
What's so good about 248?

So you can get to the gate 20 seconds sooner. Besides, the passengers LOVE hearing the gear going down when you're going so fast. They enjoy that big scary whooshing noise.

Terrain Terrain said:
Please just pull the breaker next time, then there is no buzzer, and if there is no buzzer, then there is no overspeed. problem solved

On the Saab you can switch the audio panel to Emergency and that silenced the overspeed horn, its great for CDO's and when your in the sim and want to finish early.

Heyas,

I feel your pain. At many airlines, IOE Captains are simply burn-outs pimping for a few extra bones in the paycheck. Others are insecure weenies with Napolean complexes who are on a power trip, who themselves have less than stellar piloting skills.

You don't see these type of guys very often in the sim. There you may actually have to speak and forward useful information and/or technique, and teaching is not their strong point.

Some places, such as where I'm at now, require their IOE guys to teach in the sim, so it tends to weed out the REAL a$$holes, plus there is a fairly effective peer review process.

But if you get a bad guy at a regional, you're pretty much boned.

Nu

flybluesurf said:
I recently washed out of IOE at a well known regional on a jet. I did have some prior 121 experience, mostly in training but not a lot of line flying. The checkairman that I flew with was not very helpful to say the least. Any similar experiences and advice on bringing this issue up at an interview would be appreciated.

Have you considered a letter to the Dir of Ops and Pres. of the airline and put forward the idea of salvaging some of their investment in training you by allowing you to be reevaluated in the sim and following a succesful evaluation be returned to the line for IOE with another check airman. Emphasize that you're the same person they thought would make a good employee when they hired you and it would be beneficial to both of you to complete training and that if you cannot pass the sim evaluation then the story will end there .

Now, if you've burned your bridge, or if you aren't telling the whole story, then none of this may apply.

i feel your pain!!!

of all the responses looks like the previous one seems to
be most helpful. see whether you can salvage it (nothing
to lose) and if not...be positive on all future occasions.

i myself had a difficult ioe - transitioning from a light
piston twin to a jet. a barely passed (down to ok...you
better make this landing or bust). but after passing
and a few months on the line...i'm ok now.

i too found my ioe "instructor" not do too much instruction.
there are definitely more than a few tips that can make
flying easier....none of those. nice guy though.

good-luck...believe it or not you're actually more capable
than a few months ago.

good luck!

Suck it up sally assses

Are they really "screaming" at you? I doubt it. If someone was actually "screaming" at me during training...the training would stop immediately until the issues were addressed. For those of you that think when an instructor's voice goes up a few notches because they've told you the same thing 14 times and you still aren't getting it...it's not screaming. All you momma's boys better grow some thicker skin and get over your shortcomings and mistakes.
There's always more to these "i failed and it was the instructors fault cause he's mean and yells at me" stories.

W

Which is it Dubya?? Grow a thicker skin or talk to the instructor about it? Having been in that situation with a person like the people describe here I would go with the suggestion to talk to the instructor or better yet, talk to the instructor's manager. I screwed up by not asking for an immediate change. Next time I'll know better. As far as I'm concerned the instructor or person in charge is responsible for setting the tone. I think NuGuy put it best in describing that type of person.

Maybe everyone that washes out due to difficulty dealing with a screamer is a weenie. I think with a screamer it becomes pretty difficult to get things right all the time knowing how unpleasant it will be the second you make a mistake. Been there, done that and won't let it happen again but I sure as hell don't think I was at fault in my one lousy experience for having to deal with a Napoleonic schmuck.

Mr. I.

turbinesurgeon said:
On the Saab you can switch the audio panel to Emergency and that silenced the overspeed horn, its great for CDO's and when your in the sim and want to finish early.

I learn something new everyday

Jolly Roger said:
The trick here is scream in at least 1000 feet low to the marker, lift the nose and you'll be configured by the glideslope.

We used to that flying freight.... when it was vfr.

I had a miserable experience on my first jet IOE. The captain was pissed and yelling all the time. I see what people are talking about with the learn it all yourself complaint. My OE captain seemed to be at odds with doing it by the book or his way.

I got a theory about some OE captains, my captain complained to a higher power, over minor stuff, 3 times in 4 days. So, all you got to do become a OE captain is complain eneugh untill the powers that be that be learn your name.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back