Bad IOE experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr. Irrelevant said:
Which is it Dubya?? Grow a thicker skin or talk to the instructor about it? Having been in that situation with a person like the people describe here I would go with the suggestion to talk to the instructor or better yet, talk to the instructor's manager. I screwed up by not asking for an immediate change. Next time I'll know better. As far as I'm concerned the instructor or person in charge is responsible for setting the tone. I think NuGuy put it best in describing that type of person.

Maybe everyone that washes out due to difficulty dealing with a screamer is a weenie. I think with a screamer it becomes pretty difficult to get things right all the time knowing how unpleasant it will be the second you make a mistake. Been there, done that and won't let it happen again but I sure as hell don't think I was at fault in my one lousy experience for having to deal with a Napoleonic schmuck.

Mr. I.

(raising voice one octave) Please go back and read my post again.

W

AWACoff said:
248 is the speed the wussies use so they don't overspeed the aircraft. Real men don't care about the barber pole. j/k

AWACoff

And then there are those co-pilots that fan the airspeed indicator if you get a little fast below 10000ft. ;)

cx747 said:
Colgan was my only IOE experience thus far and it was a very bad one. I am about the easiest person to get along with and am always looking for advice & constructive criticism but when I am doing things at an acceptable level for a new hire and getting screamed at like I was an eight year old that just skipped school for the day, that is completely unacceptable. After I was done he said I did okay and signed me off, huh? Colgan is a great place once you start flying the line but I sure do pity anybody that has to do their IOE in IAH. Good luck! The captain was so degrading, I think the CP's office should surely look into monitoring IOE from the jumpseat. I have heard other stories as well...some being very good IOE experiences from helpful and friendly IOE instructors. We're flying Saabs people, not 777's, please adjust your attitude to fit the level of equipment you're flying.

Later

Yeah I know the one you are talking about. told me to not ask stupid questions and used a plethora of profanities. I felt two inches tall. but on the other hand he was really nice outside of the plane. I think maybe he was doing a little too much IOE. I did the rest of my OE in Manasses and had a great experience.

Last edited:
I did the same thing suupah, 8 hours in IAH and 5 in HEF. The IOE guy in Texas was indeed very nice outside the airplane but once that cockpit door closed all hell broke loose. I really didn't appreciate being called a @#&*'n idiot numerous times for saying "trims set pitch one up" instead of saying it the correct way, "trims set pitch one UNIT up", etc. I was ready to quit. He was correct but to get bent out of shape over something so small...chill out dude. He couldn't just correct me, he had to scream at me...and yes it was screaming! Looking back on the experience, he wasn't even that great of a pilot compared to the regular captains I fly with daily at Colgan (they are all very helpful & great pilots). Oh well, chalked it up to another life experience...makes me never want to see the city of Houston again though since I know he's there.

Pryor to going into details, I have to ask a question of the CJ people. If the screamer colgan IOE Capt had the first name of Haskel, he's got a bit of a reputation for freaking out on students down in FL. He 'used' to work at FSI and before that up in Daytona. Funny from a distance looking back at it but yeah, if it's the same guy, he really has a screw loose! How can some one keep their job as a yeller in this day and age?

Is that his first name? I heard he went to colgan and I would not be surprised in the least if he was still the same.

What airline was is? The only airline that I have heard with the short fuse is Skywest (not bashing skywest, just what I heard).

Like bluedevil said at XJT we have checks and balances so that more that one set of eyes does the eval and to avoid personality conflicts and different training styles.

If you bust out of XJT several people would have needed to see problems and deterimined you could not meet the standards.

Good luck to you.

Okay..i'll accept your wording, and that he was "screaming" at you, and ask this...are you really so scared in that situation that you will allow someone to "scream" at you and verbally abuse you with profanity? At Colgan? For 19 bones an hour? Are you flipping serious? I don't care who it was or why it was...the training would stop immediately until the issue was addressed. There's only 2 people in this world that are allowed to "scream" profanities at me when I screw up...down from 4 after my grandpa and grandma passed...and I can count those instances on one hand. Even if you are a 20-24 year old wet behind the ears candidate...you are an adult and should be treated accordingly. Don't take that crap sitting down...stand up.

W

cx747 said:
I did the same thing suupah, 8 hours in IAH and 5 in HEF. The IOE guy in Texas was indeed very nice outside the airplane but once that cockpit door closed all hell broke loose. I really didn't appreciate being called a @#&*'n idiot numerous times for saying "trims set pitch one up" instead of saying it the correct way, "trims set pitch one UNIT up", etc. I was ready to quit. He was correct but to get bent out of shape over something so small...chill out dude. He couldn't just correct me, he had to scream at me...and yes it was screaming! Looking back on the experience, he wasn't even that great of a pilot compared to the regular captains I fly with daily at Colgan (they are all very helpful & great pilots). Oh well, chalked it up to another life experience...makes me never want to see the city of Houston again though since I know he's there.

Hobit said:
Pryor to going into details, I have to ask a question of the CJ people. If the screamer colgan IOE Capt had the first name of Haskel, he's got a bit of a reputation for freaking out on students down in FL. He 'used' to work at FSI and before that up in Daytona. Funny from a distance looking back at it but yeah, if it's the same guy, he really has a screw loose! How can some one keep their job as a yeller in this day and age?

Is that his first name? I heard he went to colgan and I would not be surprised in the least if he was still the same.

yes he is a cork. he was at business express and then eagle. was just offered to be fired or quit from eagle last fall and quit. every CRJ FO in ORD hated him. he was a navigator in the marines not a pilot.

145 Lawndart said:
What airline was is? The only airline that I have heard with the short fuse is Skywest (not bashing skywest, just what I heard).

You hit the jackpot, the airline with the short fuse was Skywest. I flew with a different checkairman after that but by then I was up to 50 hour which is the max. After that they won't give you more no matter if you are doing well or not. Last guy I flew with was only for one trip that consisted of 5 legs, he said that I needed to fly a couple more trips and I would be fine. Next thing I know training dept calls and says that can't give me more 50 is the policy and they stress that when you get in the airplane. I guess 50 sounds a lot if you are doing short legs in a turboprop but not in a jet. Most my legs were long and I only got few visual approaches and 15 landings or so.

Latest resources

Back