• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bad day at the FSDO for the Initial CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Recently, there was an examiner and former SkyWest pilot killed during a checkride he was giving. Maybe word of this has gotten around and everybody is being a little more carefull.

This happened very near where I live. In fact, I was actually going to take my checkride with this particular examiner for a while, but ended up taking it with his good buddy. Since there were no skid marks, the investigators are speculating that the crash resulted from a flat spin, not any form of structural failure.

Regarding the accident -- I had heard there had been a witness that had seen the aircraft come down on fire. However, I'm going to assume this is inaccurate information from the media services.

As for the initial CFI, I did mine with DE back in 1998 out of Van Nuys.

CFI initials with DEs

There are places, such as Sheble Aviation, where you can take your initial with a DE. I realize that Sheble may not be the best example, but it was the first that came to mind.

I must have trained at least a dozen initial CFI students when I instructed at ERAU in Prescott. I do not believe that any of them had to go to the SDL FSDO. They all went to either one of two DEs. I trained three initial CFIs while I was at FSI in Vero. All three went to a local (asshole) DE. It probably depends on how particular the local FSDO is about examining initial CFI applicants itself.

Last edited:
I live about 2 miles from a FSDO and it is my understanding that you are not required to take the initial with an inspector. You may take it with a DE. Some people may confuse that with 141 schools with self-examining authority...they are not allowed to administer initial checkrides.
I would just pay to go with the DE. I had a very positive experience with my FSDO and i'm very sorry to hear that yours is being less than kind. Best of luck with your ride.

-j

I should've had the airplane taken to the FSDO for a PACE inspection before I took it for my checkride. During a PACE, they will point out any discrepencies in the airplane without writing the pilot and owner up for violations, then give you a ferry permit to fly it back. If you take an aircraft to the checkride with existing violations, they *are* supposed to write both the pilto and the owner up for violations. Guess I just lucked out. I really don't think the FSDO inspectors were trying to be uncooperative or unfair, infact I appreciate their generosity.

The bottom line is I did not have the airplane in good enough condition before I took it to the FSDO. It's my fault for not having the airplane in perfect shape before I took it, lesson learned, and hopefully I can trudge through this and still get my CFI somehow.

Great attitude, Alchemy. I had a similar experience getting my Private ticket. The examiner called my instructor the morning of my checkride and said my medical was invalid because of a police report on me that happened after my medical, but that involved no criminal activity. I called him up and asked him where he got it and how he can say my medical is invalid, since there's nothing in the regs that says it would be. He couldn't cite anything, but said there's a lot of regulations not in my FAR/AIM (???). Then he got defensive and said his friend, the other DPE, who recently died in a plane wreck north of Cedar City, agrees with him. Since I'm a juvenile, it isn't public record. This guy gets a hold of it via one of his students who works in the police station who also happens to be in my college physics class. Extremely frustrating to say the least. But I didn't have your attitude. Eventually I got the ticket and put it all behind me. You will too.

You could always get your CFIG (Glider) instead of Airplane. There are only a few CFI glider examiners in the country and so they must send you to a DE. Then you get your CFI Airplane and it's no longer an initial, so you also go to a DE.

By the way, that wasn't Frank from SAT FSDO was it?

jdog78 said:
I live about 2 miles from a FSDO and it is my understanding that you are not required to take the initial with an inspector. You may take it with a DE. Some people may confuse that with 141 schools with self-examining authority...they are not allowed to administer initial checkrides.
I would just pay to go with the DE. I had a very positive experience with my FSDO and i'm very sorry to hear that yours is being less than kind. Best of luck with your ride.

-j

From the sound of this thread, it seams to vary quite a bit - all I know is that I took my initial CFI checkride in-house - we are a 141 school that has self-examining authority.

Nathan

Just my opinion,
Before any of my students were sent to the FSDO at PWA, the school would do a pretty good job on the maint inspection, and ALWAYS wash it to clean any oil and bugs off. I never had a problem, sorry to hear you got shafted.

you were probably the 3rd guy to show up with that ratty airplane and they are pinching the school finally.

It gives them a quota.

go back with another aircraft.

Latest resources

Back