Bad day at the FSDO for the Initial CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Alchemy

Went to the FSDO for my CFI checkride on thursday. It didn't go well at all. All my paperwork was in order but when the maintenance inspector went to examine the aircraft (a c182rg) he came back with 7 (!!!!) discrepencies. To top it off, the plane had just come out of a 100 hour. Needless to say, the Examiner and Maintenance inspector didn't have too many nice things to say about the flight school or the mechanic after that (although they didn't seem to be familiar with the flight school when I told them which one it was).

Basically, my checkride turned into an incident investigation. Both my examiner and the maintenance inspector were taking numerous pictures of the aircraft and started writing reports. The inspector jumped all over me and asked if I had even done a preflight before I flew the plane to the FSDO. He told me that he should technically write me up for a violation or at least fail my checkride for bringing an unairworthy aircraft, but since I was "just a kid" he was going to let me off the hook. I had to give him a written statement about the condition of the airplane on a blank piece of paper. I wrote:

"The discrepencies pointed out on N***** by the FAA on February 22, 2004 were not observed to be present during my pre-flight inspection of the aircraft on February 21, 2004".

The discrepencies pointed out were

1. Oil in the cockpit due to a bad seal on the oil pressure gauge.

2. Low Nose strut (there was still about 1.5-2" of chrome showing)

3. Loose housing for the left nav light

4. Exposed safety wire in the nose gear door bay.

5. One missing rivet on the left mid-fuselage

6. One loose rivet and loose panel on the left-mid fuselage

7. Various screws missing throughout the aircraft.

I didn't recieve a letter of discontinuance and the inspector treated the whole thing as if the practical test had never started. The airplane is still in maintenance at the airport where the FSDO is located. With the approval of the owner, I opted to have the plane repaired there and drive myself back home rather than obtain a ferry permit.

Personally, I think the inspectors were put-off as soon as they saw the airplane....it had dead bugs on the front of the fuselage and the leading edge of the wings, and as usual, had quite a dirty underside. From the moment they laid eyes on the plane it was a down hill slide. They said I should find another airplane and another flight school if I wanted to try to get my CFI certificate. Unfortunatly, my only real choice is to have all the discrepencies on this airplane repaired, have it cleaned spotlessly, and hope it recieves a warmer reception from the feds next time......

In any event, I will fill out a NASA form just in case they do decide to turn around and violate me. I didn't make that written statement voluntarily.....the examiner told me I needed to make one and at that point I was just nodding my head and saying "yes sir" to everything he asked of me.

The examiner also told me "take a good luck at all those business jets on the ramp. There's no reason why your aircraft shouldn't be in just as clean and in the same condition as those airplanes. 1 in every 300 airframes will kill someone this year. Do you want to become a statistic? You're flying a jalopy through the air."

Any advice about how to go about getting my CFI certificate would be appreciated. It will take me some time to work up the confidence to go back to that FSDO for another checkride. I feel lucky just to have walked away with my pilot certificate still in hand and no violations on my record.

Thanks

How about going to a DE instead of the FSDO.

Recently, there was an examiner and former SkyWest pilot killed during a checkride he was giving. Maybe word of this has gotten around and everybody is being a little more carefull.

wow

I think you just discribed most every rental plane out there. And $hit forget about the cargo planes.

"We're from the FAA and we're here to help . . . . "

Alchemy said:
I had to give him a written statement about the condition of the airplane on a blank piece of paper. I wrote:

"The discrepencies pointed out on N***** by the FAA on February 22, 2004 were not observed to be present during my pre-flight inspection of the aircraft on February 21, 2004".

The discrepencies pointed out were . . . .
5. One missing rivet on the left mid-fuselage

6. One loose rivet and loose panel on the left-mid fuselage

7. Various screws missing throughout the aircraft.
In all fairness, I've had experiences where aircraft have been grounded because of loose or missing screws and rivets. These incidents are far more common than you might think. Although the airplane may have just come out of 100-hour, it indeed might not have been in as a good a shape as one might hope.

Just the same, I second the above suggestion. See if you can go to a DE next time . . . and maybe with a different airplane.

These are the kinds of situations that turn off people to aviation. Best of luck with your next shot at your practical - you deserve it.

I've never heard of anyone going to a DE for an initial CFI checkride. I was under the impression (falsely?) that you were required to head to the FSDO to complete your initial CFI rating.

The way I understand it is that you must go the FSDO for you initial CFI checkride. If the FSDO cannot accomodate you and give you a test within 2 weeks of your request, then they can refer you to a certain approved FIE (Flight instructor Examiner). Normally, FIE's are only allowed to give checkrides for additional category/class add-ons and recurrent certification. However, only in the special event that the FSDO cannot accomodate you within 2 weeks can CERTAIN FIE's give inital CFI checkrides.

Again, the only way I could possibly avoid taking this at a FSDO is if for some reason they couldn't accomodate me within 2 weeks of my request or if I was at a 141 school that had in house examining authority. Avoiding the FSDO doesn't seem likely since my district isn't exactly known for a large quantity of flight training. Again, it's possible I'm wrong about this but this is my understanding of the situation.

Regarding the grounding of the airplane: I can definitely see a need to do it because of the oil leak and safety wire loose in the nose gear bay. I would never fly the airplane if I observed those problems. However, I'm curious as to why one loose rivet and one missing rivet as well as a loose nav light housing and an "allegedly" low nose gear strut (still had 2" of chrome showing)would ground the airplane.

I (or rather my instructor) went straight to a DE. Didn't even consider the FSDO for my checkride as far as I know.

My FAA CFI checkride was the easiest I have ever taken. Plus it was free. Lets be honest, the DE's actually know what they are talking about while a lot of FAA people dont have a clue.
Get the plane fixed and take it with the FDSO.

Sounds to me like they grounded the plane due to aesthetics. Did you dress up too? If not, they saw you and the plane as unprofessional and went out of their way to stop you from completing the exam. It's a lousy thing to do.

I was wearing a brand new polo shirt tucked in with a belt and jeans, not a shirt and tie or anything but I'd hardly say I looked sloppy.

Latest resources

Back