• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bad day at the FSDO for the Initial CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
O man, I hope the examenar wont bust me because of my Dads plane when I go for my commercial. It needs paint and carpet. And alittle TLC. But runs real good. and everything works.

Alchemy said:
All in all, I came away from this whole thing with a bit more cynical view of the FAA and aviation in general. I look at everything I do now in aviation with a bit of paranoia.

As someone mentioned earlier:

"I'm from the FAA and I'm here to help."

What a load of BS. The FAA is evil spawn when it comes to CFI applicants.

I just took mine with a DE and did fine. Easiest checkride I've taken yet, and the DE was only concerned with the airworthiness of the aircraft to the level that they should have been.

Cynicism about the FAA

Congratulations on passing your CFI practical! :) Now, you are a member of the club/just another unemployed flight instructor. :) I love the ironies in your comments:
Alchemy said:
The oral and flight portions were both very straightforward. I passed with no problems. The maintenance inspector at the DAL FSDO basically took a look at the airplane on the ramp then walked away (although they may have looked at it more critically when I was doing the oral, I don't know). I made sure the airplane was in spotless shape when I took it the 2nd time, and the FSDO inspector even commented, "looks like you keep this plane hangared". I just kind of nodded and said "yeah, looks like it" (airplane hasn't seen a hangar in years, except for mx).

2 weeks later another CFI applicant from my flight school took the airplane back the SAT FSDO, where I had my original problems. The same MX inspector who had grounded the plane weeks earlier this time approved it for the test. The applicant wasn't assigned the same inspector that I was, but he passed . . . . All in all, I came away from this whole thing with a bit more cynical view of the FAA and aviation in general. I look at everything I do now in aviation with a bit of paranoia.
All pretty amazing, huh?

Some FSDOs, such as SDL and PWA, are very professional and easy to work with. Others, such as MCO, make one run the gauntlet. I don't understand that. The ASIs receive the same training. They have the same standardization and same manuals. I realize that individual FSDOs have their own politics, but the same Administrator is in charge of all of them . . . . .
I also am trying to make it a new flight school policty to make sure every plane is washed regularly, and the night before any of them go out for a checkride.
Sounds like a good idea, especially because FSDO had approved the same airplane before your experience.

Your first ASI's crack that you should have continued getting your CFI at a different school with a different airplane was uncalled-for. Perhaps that inspector was feuding with your school and decided to use your checkride to continue the battle. People do such things. I would have felt terrible, very defensive and very let down had some inspector said that about my instructor and airplane - especially after that FSDO had seen the airplane so many times before. There was no reason for those comments. They are enough to turn off anyone to aviation.

Congratulations, again. Good luck with your students.

Alchemy,

There's a couple guys down at SAT FSDO that are dead ringers for that overbearing Sgt. in "Good Morning Vietnam". In fairness, there's also a couple others that seem to be decent folks.

We had a retirement briefing in their building almost a year ago. Almost all the folks there were FAA. One guy in particular, 50 ish, about 5'8" and 160 lbs, had groused at half the attendees before the meeting even started. He's about as cheerful as a black hole.:rolleyes: :(

JediNein said:
Congrats on the CFI!

Remember, your students ARE trying to kill you.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Ah, so I don't have to exclaim in the airplane after a bad landing "Are you *trying* to kill me?" It' just assume.

Thanks Jedi! ;)

Your first ASI's crack that you should have continued getting your CFI at a different school with a different airplane was uncalled-for. Perhaps that inspector was feuding with your school and decided to use your checkride to continue the battle. People do such things. I would have felt terrible, very defensive and very let down had some inspector said that about my instructor and airplane - especially after that FSDO had seen the airplane so many times before. There was no reason for those comments. They are enough to turn off anyone to aviation.

I may be mistaken, but isn't there some sort of "customer service complaint" process with the FAA? Do some research. If the inspector was that much of a a$$hole, your situation is definitely a candidate for a complaint.

that sucks....

Move... Try a different FSDO.

I almost got pink slipped on my II ride for not having an up to date PTS. They changed the PTS a week before my ride. How are we to know about PTS changes? O'well I passed the ride and am now done with that CFI crap all together. Good luck to you.

Alchemy, you could always go to another FSDO(if there is another one close by). This method worked well with a couple CFI rides my friends took, and they avoided the local FISDO's super anal FAA examiner. Seriosly, his checklist WAS 8 PAGES LONG! :)

Latest resources

Back