• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BA 777 "lands short" at Heathrow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Based on the image in that article, looks like they touched down roughly 700-800 feet short of the threshhold. On glideslope at that point would be about 200AGL or so. Me thinks there was something seriously wrong at the time.

I'm watching a live feed from BBC, over here.

He said at least three times, "This just doesn't happen to British pilots. We are well trained. It had to be an aeroplane or weather problem."

I heard this BS a lot when I lived in England. They have a real problem with denial over there.

When a British Midlands crew lost the left engine and then shut down the right engine they were claiming that the only possible explanation was that the throttles were 'cross-wired', since British pilots [think that they] don't make mistakes.

I like the Brits, but they need to get off the river denial.

No, BA has a litle bit better pool of applicants than many other foreign carriers.

They usually go to flight school in the US, get a US regional job and hope they can get hired by BA after enough hours. If they can't get hired by BA, they get their US citizenship and stay at the regional, then get a US major job if they can. I know a lot of them and I can't blame them for trying.

It's possible that this was the case in the past, but not anymore. Most new-hires are straight out of an integrated ATPL program with a little over 250 hours and a fresh type rating.

Stick and rudder skills are not important in JAA training. There used to be aerobatic training included in most programs, but now some people who pass are still scared out of their minds when doing unusual attitude recovery.

The captain on this bird most likely had better training than is being provided those days, but expect more accidents like this in five-ten years as today's grads make captain.

Sqwvfr,

Perhaps true these days. I left the regionals over 10 years ago for bigger things.

At that particular regional, I'd say a good 20% or more were Green Card holders waiting for their golden opportunity. I keep in touch with a few of them even know. A few have succeeded. A few are at US majors. A few are so senior at the regional, they don't care to leave because of the taxes in the UK.

Any landing you can walk away from.........................

In the few press reports I've read, BA Management is praising their crew. There must be more to this story than just landing short.

Latest resources

Back