• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

B747 down in South America?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Beebe was with Pan Am as a F/A way back in the day. Flew many a trip with him on the DC8 great Capt on and off the bird. Flew with all the guys except two including the LM and the MX, all were extremely competent aviators, I def believe they did everything in their power to prevent a larger disaster.
Godspeed in thier recoveries.

Joe will recover a lot faster if the hospital replace the IV with Diet Coke instead. God speed my friend.
Ha! I was going to post that - maybe the coma is from lack of Diet Coke! (for those who don't know - Joe drank Diet Coke like other people breath air. He carried a 2 liter around and drank it like a fish.)

Sounds like my kind of guy, although I prefer Vault Zero myself. Drinks like a soda, kicks like an energy drink, and you pee neon green for a week. Judging from the pictures in the other thread's slideshow of the engineer's station, that must have been one serious smack to the noggin.

Here's to hoping that all the Kalitta guys get well and come home soon. :beer:

From PPrune:

"""Dear Fellow Kalitta Air Crewmembers from your Captain Representative:

When I accepted the position of Captains representative, I did so because I felt the need to help. I never imagined that "helping" would included visiting fellow crewmembers in the hospital, but that is what myself and Bill *** and Dan ***, along with Gene *** have been doing here in Bogota, Columbia for the last few days. We have been here representing the Union, your Union, and doing whatever is needed for the guys, including helping them dress. I can tell you first hand that these guys went through hell and have the bruises to show for it! This crew, all of them, did everything possible in the face of extreme adversity.

What I can tell you now, I will as follows; The operating crew was - redacted - was sitting in the aft observers seat. The two loadmaster,- redacted - were sitting on the left and - redacted - were on the right. Everything, life, was normal until just after rotation. It was then, as described in all accounts, the number four engine failed. Immediately, as briefed and as set up on the FMS Fix page, the crew proceeded with the "special engine out procedure". However before any checklist could be accomplished or turns back to the airport, it appears that number one engine failed. It was then that years of experience demonstrated by cool and matter of fact thinking lead them to the "dark spot" on the ground. Everyone knew what was happening, that they would soon be landing "off airport" because they just didn't have the thrust to get them back. All they could do was not stall the airplane and try and hit wings level in the shallowest descent possible and that is what happened. The impact and the seconds following were described as surreal. When things came to a stop reality set in and now all that mattered was getting out and getting the injured to the hospital. As you can imagine everything was in a disarray. The ceiling was now the floor, the "L" windows were now the "R" windows and there was no discernible way out. - redacted - used a fire extinguisher and the the crash ax after it was located, to bust out the L1 window. - redacted - were removed via a backboard and the others exited on their on and were all taken to the hospital. Amazingly, - redacted - were basically unhurt while - redacted - had slight injuries and - redacted - was pinned in his seat until the rescue workers were able to free him. - redacted - suffers from large and numerous bruises, a fractured lumbar and tail bone. - redacted - initially walked on his own to the back to check on everyone else after releasing himself from his seat upside down but soon discovered that he had moderate back injuries and is now physically recovering as expected, but wearing a back brace. - redacted - broke his nose again and was readmitted to the hospital only to discover that he has a cracked lumbar and is in a back brace. The nurses say, in Spanish, he looks like a Panda Bear and I told them to stay away from Bears. - redacted - severely injured his back/spine. He is very alert but in pain and will be facing a long recovery period in which his mobility is in question. I was able to spend over 30 minutes alone with him and assured him that if he needed his house in Atlanta modified so he can get around that WE would see to it. Now - redacted - was injured the worst and was found out of his seat lying on the ceiling, conscience. He was given the portable O2 mask and First Aid rendered. - redacted - had surgery as previously reported and is in a induced coma to aid in his healing. We all know - redacted - as a strong, tough, stubborn guy and with OUR PRAYERS and the excellent care he is receiving he will recover. The next 48 hours will tell a lot and hopefully all can be transported back to the USA soon as to ease the burden on their families, who are all here now.

Guys, all I can say is PLEASE PRAY for - redacted -. Pray for their physical well being as well as their emotional well being. What they experienced, I wish on no one. There is guilt over the lives lost on the ground and what effect this will have on OUR company. When able I will get addresses for all so you can express your feelings to them. Also don't forget that - redacted - went through similar feelings and a word of encouragement to all of them would be nice.

Remember.....FLY SAFE, STAY STRONG and DEMONSTRATE your PROFESSIONALISM to ALL!

Fraternally,

Mack ***

Your Union Captain Representative."

Lucky folks. Very lucky. God smiled upon their lifes. Speedy recovery and hope never will happen again.
What are the odds to have 2 failed engines?....and why 2 failed engines?

Lucky folks. Very lucky. God smiled upon their lifes. Speedy recovery and hope never will happen again.
What are the odds to have 2 failed engines?....and why 2 failed engines?

FOD ingestion, bird strike, contaminated fuel, strange furry creature hanging on to the wing, freak accident, it could be any number of reasons. Hopefully the FDR will have some intel.

Latest resources

Back