Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Burt Reynolds

El Bandido
I know that the 717 is out of production, but just for sake of discussion, why does it make sense for a mainline/LCC to fly 90 seat RJs built in Canada or Brazil instead of flying 717s made here in the good old U.S. of A.?

I assume that the RJs are cheaper to purchase, but I don't know for sure. Anybody familiar with the captial/operating costs of these two? How about break even point, etc.

It would also seem that there would be fewer startup difficulties with a new aircraft from Boeing, but that's just an opinion.

Anyway, just random thoughts on a reserve day...

Last edited:
Its because the companies want us to Feel Like Regional Pilots and fly RJ's so we can get paid to fly "RJ's" Its probably just a way to down play what we do.

Mesa has the CRJ-900 with 86 seats Midwest has 88 seats on the 717.....Look at the pay rates!!!

The CRJ-900, or any RJ's can't carry all that carry one bags, so 86 people have to wait on the ramp/jetway to get their bags.

USAirways is putting the 900 Jet on their 737 routs...good job Airways MEC!!

DC-9-10

Look at NWA (etc.) pay rates in the past....Always in line with Industry Standards for jet aircraft. Most operators ran the DC-9-10 with 60-70 seats I believe. (?)

The so called "Regional" jet's and the subsequent acceptance of scumbag pay rates that are so far below scale show what Pilot's truly are:

Uneducated, Unthinking, Illiterate....Rubes.

The "Regional" jet pay argument is a testament to Management and an absolute indictment of the lack of intelligence on the part of Pilot's as a whole, and the corruption which is inherent in their so-called "Unions".

YKW

P.S. - For a short while I was an ALPA Negotiator... I left in disgust with the Idiots I was working with, and for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q- Why would you "burn that bridge"?

A- Simple...Why does a plumber plug a sewer line? He doesn't want the Sh!T to back up on him.

Last edited:
Agreed! Even more pathetic is D.Woerthless' signature on every contract...how has he not been held accountable for any of this during his tenure? Does he even bother to peruse any of these contract before he endorses them.

Mav204 said:
Mesa has the CRJ-900 with 86 seats Midwest has 88 seats on the 717.....Look at the pay rates!!!

The CRJ-900, or any RJ's can't carry all that carry one bags, so 86 people have to wait on the ramp/jetway to get their bags.

USAirways is putting the 900 Jet on their 737 routs...good job Airways MEC!!

The MEC also (thanks to the AWA guys) took away E190s from CHQ and added them to future mainline planes. All of the future USAir E170 orders changed to E190s also. The rates are the best so far for that airplane.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Burt Reynolds said:
I know that the 717 is out of production, but just for sake of discussion, why does it make sense for a mainline/LCC to fly 90 seat RJs built in Canada or Brazil instead of flying 717s made here in the good old U.S. of A.?

I assume that the RJs are cheaper to purchase, but I don't know for sure. Anybody familiar with the captial/operating costs of these two? How about break even point, etc.

Supposedly AirTran didn't continue the JetConnect agreement with AirWisc when they determined that they could do the flying we were for lower per seat mile in their 717's than in our CRJ's. It didn't help when they wanted us to change to CRJ700's but our conservative management said no due to not being able to take advantage of "economies of scale" (10 CRJ700's only, not much parts commonality with the CRJ200).

I'm pretty sure that the 717 has better cost per seat mile than the CRJ200, don't know about the other CRJ's. Plus normal size overhead bins and seats.

It's all about scope. The 717 was caught in scope arguments between the regionals and the majors/LCC's. Too big for the regionals, and too short of a range for growing LCC's.

General Lee said:
The MEC also (thanks to the AWA guys) took away E190s from CHQ and added them to future mainline planes. All of the future USAir E170 orders changed to E190s also. The rates are the best so far for that airplane.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Unlike DL that gave away 50+ seats

I was told by mainline US pilots that they lost a bunch of 737s in BK2 and thats why the 900s are flying out of CLT...

Latest resources

Back