• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

B717 vs. 90 seat RJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
just to make things totally clear, its evident that ALPA has failed us as a union. Imagine if you were a laborer in a union shop. You could transfer to another shop, bring your seniority retirement vacation.....and your pride with you. Now imagine you are a pilot....and your union sucks because it will not set standards to live by.....standards to make all pilots professionals....oh try talking some professional into undercutting a fellow professional....not going to happen...they will be shamed by the rest of their industry.

One seniority which keeps your pay protected....no airlines undercutting the other. Your vacations....retirement programs, longevity all belong to the union.....so it goes with you as you go from one airline to the next. think about it people.....think about it.

Supposedly AirTran didn't continue the JetConnect agreement with AirWisc when they determined that they could do the flying we were for lower per seat mile in their 717's than in our CRJ's.
Joe Leonard told us in recuurent tat year that the 717 was cheaper to operate period. In his words, the "plane mile" cost of the 717 was cheaper than the "plane mile" cost for the Air Wisconsin CRJs.

FWIW

xjhawk said:
just to make things totally clear, its evident that ALPA has failed us as a union. Imagine if you were a laborer in a union shop. You could transfer to another shop, bring your seniority retirement vacation.....and your pride with you. Now imagine you are a pilot....and your union sucks because it will not set standards to live by.....standards to make all pilots professionals....oh try talking some professional into undercutting a fellow professional....not going to happen...they will be shamed by the rest of their industry.

One seniority which keeps your pay protected....no airlines undercutting the other. Your vacations....retirement programs, longevity all belong to the union.....so it goes with you as you go from one airline to the next. think about it people.....think about it.

I'm thinking about it... but as I recall from "Flying the Line," ALPA in its earliest days opposed the one seniority list... So if it has always been against it, why would that change now?

Isn't one of the inherent problems of seniority (with humans!) getting the more senior people to care at all about the rest of the group?

Tell me how you are going to get any concessions from senior pilots to accomodate this better system for all pilots. No one wants to integrate seniority lists because then they might have to wait longer for their golden goose egg!

Maybe its that extreme difference between new and old pilots that needs to be looked at too.

Wouldn't it have been smart for boeing to expand the 717 to mabye around 120 seats? With those fuel efficient engines it would have made a perfect fit for many LCCs and a nice replacement for the MD80. Or was that the job for the 737-700?

Yeah it would've killed the 737 or the other way around. It's not cost effective to have 2 different aircraft with the same seats sold by the same company.

Enough Hijacking!!!

Burt Reynolds said:
I know that the 717 is out of production, but just for sake of discussion, why does it make sense for a mainline/LCC to fly 90 seat RJs built in Canada or Brazil instead of flying 717s made here in the good old U.S. of A.?

I assume that the RJs are cheaper to purchase, but I don't know for sure. Anybody familiar with the captial/operating costs of these two? How about break even point, etc.

It would also seem that there would be fewer startup difficulties with a new aircraft from Boeing, but that's just an opinion.

Anyway, just random thoughts on a reserve day...

We won't discuss the oversized CRJ, which is still a cramped WSCOD.

As for the E-Jet...The cabin is built for passengers. The seats are as wide as an airbus, pitch is great, all the bags come on board, it's fairly quiet, and fairly stingy on gas.

The 717, I can only speak on from a passenger perspective. The seats are still tiny old-school 1st generation size coach seats.

The economics, I don't know, we'll have to see how the 190 does once it gets an operator other than B6.

A 170 costs about 25 mil...

P.S. The "old" DC-9 rates that originated back during regulation, when airlines were guaranteed to make money still don't compare to airlines that operate the same planes today. It's a different world folks....wake up any day....

Latest resources

Back