• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

B6 Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's really simple to me. Hang out at Jblue making 100k getting A320 experience while trying to make it a better place while still having your apps out is a much wiser move than staying as a slave at a dying regional.

I may or may not stay at JetBlue. I definitely have my eyes open and understand the reality of my situation. You are right, I will probably not make that much anytime soon, this is not news to me. However, I am not going to tell my friends who are mid seniority captains at regionals not to come here. As a 4 year FO at 90 hours per month thats about $105,000 per year. Not great, but a lot better than 99% of regional captains even factoring in our health care. Just because I would recommend JetBlue to a regional pilot doesn't mean I think it's the greatest place to be.

Thanks Mike
I think thats all the longer term JB guys are saying. This is not your long awaited dream job. Just a not too bad place to be if your furloughed or out of a job until a real career job comes along. Just don't get yourself in a bind where you took a pay cut to come here and then you can't leave when a better opportunity comes available. That is the case of the great guy I am flying with now. He wants to leave but can't accept a pay cut now for greater future opportunities.
And Mike if you fly with senior guys here who have it great, understand they don't want anything to change because it is so good for them. They will tell you we don't need a union. They don't but you do.

It's really simple to me. Hang out at Jblue making 100k getting A320 experience while trying to make it a better place while still having your apps out is a much wiser move than staying as a slave at a dying regional.

Well maybe. You see jetblue management knows all about this. They are looking at snagging these underpaid abused guys because they make great (shall I say it "slaves") in jest. You do get a better job but not a good career. You take a pay cut to come hoping for a better life. You get it but then put yourself in a hole for a couple years. then you get better pay but when the opportunity to get a better job comes along you can't afford to take that paycut. So your stuck here. You sit right seat now for what looks like 10 or more years. Then what? reserve for another 10? Benefits suck, no retirement. And if you have a family member with special needs forget it!
THats the problem the guy I'm flying with now has. He took a leap of faith, now he's in a hole and can't afford to take another leap even when something great comes along. THis might work for some but not most. Just be careful. thats all I'm trying to explain.

I agree, however someone like myself is more fortunate, wife makes a hell of a lot than I do and probably ever will. Doesn't make it right, just easier for me

Sitting in the hotel for 24 hours on my 6th day on. I get to go home after another transcon tomorrow. They stuck a 3-day on the end of my 4-day and Flica was no hope in improving that. I'm a lineholder, as if that matters. It's all about rsv coverage concerning sched manipulation. The only real time-off strategy is calling in sick and I'm sure that they're looking for a way to remove that option from us.
Insult to injury, this 3-day is only worth 10:41, due to the 24-hour layover. I'm just killing them on per diem!
10.25 years here. I don't live in base, I don't get Flica alerts, never even picked up an RSA. Picking up RSAs is enabling the company to grossly understaff us. Kinda like putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.
I've never come close to 200K, I just fly my schedule.
The work rule "efficiencies" are whittling us down, year-by-year.
Comparing W2s, 2011 to 2012, I made $8900 dollars LESS and made $325 bucks MORE in perdiem.
LESS money and MORE time away from home...
If you really NEED a job, come to JB. And keep shooting the apps out.
This is no long-term career position.

Sitting in the hotel for 24 hours on my 6th day on. I get to go home after another transcon tomorrow. They stuck a 3-day on the end of my 4-day and Flica was no hope in improving that. I'm a lineholder, as if that matters. It's all about rsv coverage concerning sched manipulation. The only real time-off strategy is calling in sick and I'm sure that they're looking for a way to remove that option from us.
Insult to injury, this 3-day is only worth 10:41, due to the 24-hour layover. I'm just killing them on per diem!
10.25 years here. I don't live in base, I don't get Flica alerts, never even picked up an RSA. Picking up RSAs is enabling the company to grossly understaff us. Kinda like putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.
I've never come close to 200K, I just fly my schedule.
The work rule "efficiencies" are whittling us down, year-by-year.
Comparing W2s, 2011 to 2012, I made $8900 dollars LESS and made $325 bucks MORE in perdiem.

LESS money and MORE time away from home...
If you really NEED a job, come to JB. And keep shooting the apps out.
This is no long-term career position.

Thanks! THis is a very accurate description of the 10yr guy. Imagine what a 4-7 yr commuting life is like.

I agree, however someone like myself is more fortunate, wife makes a hell of a lot than I do and probably ever will. Doesn't make it right, just easier for me

Good for you! You might be the perfect JB candidate. Hopefully you can live in base and get to see her. We have some fantastic Island layovers here. When you can bring her along she will enjoy it.

I said they make close to 200k. $155x78=$12,090 + $155x12x1.5=$2790. $12,090+2790=$14,880 per month x 12=$178,560. That is a 6 year 320 captain averaging 90 hours credit per month. Granted, most guys I fly with are a little more senior than that, but it gives you an idea of what I mean. 90 hours a month is not killing yourself if you play with flica a little and it's pretty easy if you don't commute. Again, I'm not saying JetBlue is great, but to act like its the worst place to be is being disingenuous. Telling 98% of regional pilots not to come here is a joke, period. Its also funny that I see a lot of other airlines flying around on the weekends. I wonder if there are any pilots flying those planes?

One can manipulate numbers very easily. You are talking about crediting 90 hours for 12 consecutive months. Again.......been here 8 years, I have Flica alerts, swap trips here and there when I am able, and have maybe reached 90 hours of credit once or twice during the year. The company's bid divisors are at an all time low (typically mid 70's), so unless you are in the top 20% of the seniority list, good luck with crediting 90 hours per month for 12 consecutive months! You are entitled to your opinion, but I am sticking with the facts.......most Captains do not make anywhere near 200K!

I'm just relaying what I hear from 80% of the guys I fly with on the 320. Granted, most guys are not very junior. If you are awarded an 82ish hour line getting another few hours shouldn't be too hard. If you are looking for a 14.5 hour commutable 2 day, then you're screwed. Please understand, I'm not calling you a liar or discounting your experience. I fly with a lot of guys who credit that much time on average (or they just like to lie about it).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back