B-1b

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fury220 said:
That's totally sweet -- integrated 'chutes. I doubt I'll see it here at Sheppard for a while. Probably not during my tour here as a FAIP. I actually doubt that I'll see the PMP.

On that note, why would Moody IFF get the PMP first? That makes little sense to me, as they rarely go XC. That is, unless the mod offers a degree of durability and lowers the chances of compressor stalls. I dunno...

Moody IFF has always been at the top of the '38 pyramid. They got the C models first. PMP was never meant for XC. From what I hear, except for TOLD in the heat and Rockies, PMP doesn't give you any XC advantage. It doesn't add to the legs (it actually adds drag because of the new inlets). The guys say the only time it's noticable is during takeoff and it's not very noticable during the fighting.

Yeah, I heard the PiMP jets have a higher sea level static thrust but it actually has less thrust at higher altitudes than it did before. Not the best for fighting depending upon how high you are. Also, with the chute-integrated Martin Baker seats, I was told there will no longer be space in the seat pan to store XC bags, and the space between the seat and the floor will be gone as well. Man is that going to make packing interesting, unless you can get some pods.

Slye said:
Yeah, I heard the PiMP jets have a higher sea level static thrust but it actually has less thrust at higher altitudes than it did before. Not the best for fighting depending upon how high you are. Also, with the chute-integrated Martin Baker seats, I was told there will no longer be space in the seat pan to store XC bags, and the space between the seat and the floor will be gone as well. Man is that going to make packing interesting, unless you can get some pods.

Ugh -- I can wait on the new seats then. I'll gladly trade lugging the 'chute out to the jet every day for a little extra XC packing space.

psysicx said:
Fury is it hard for IP's to pick up cross countries?

Not at all. Just make it known that you're willing (sts) and people will typically seek you out.

Don't forget that the '38 IP job is an ALPHA tour for most guys, meaning this is a nice tour for them to be home with their families, get some more schooling done, and generally chill out more than in the CAF. With that in mind, some dudes get sick of being gone half of the weekends each month...

...and that's where the single FAIP Mafia guys come in. :)

Pardon my ignorance on some of the military stuff, but as you speak of the need for runways >10K, is that for insurance in case of single engine operations??

On a side note, I go to school here at Arizona State (east) and live on campus at Williams Gateway - where 38s are getting the C upgrade..... Lots of Laughlin birds in the hangar right now.
BealeBoys and HO's used to come in here a lot on XC but their visits have died down a little these past months...too hot?

GulfstreamSDL said:
Pardon my ignorance on some of the military stuff, but as you speak of the need for runways >10K, is that for insurance in case of single engine operations??

Don't apologize! Smart question, which is asked often. You are basically correct. When the density altitude is high enough, and the runway is short enough, there is a time on the takeoff roll when, should you lose an engine, you can't get it stopped, nor get it airborne, in the remaining runway.

The A-model jets at Beale and Holloman are limited at Willy in the summer, but as things begin cooling off in the coming weeks, you'll see them back.

SIG600 said:
Hey Fury (or others)... are the making you guys RVSM compliant with the C upgrade?

I don't think so, but I bet Talondriver could speak better on it.

Altitude hold equipment? I wish.

Latest resources

Back