B-1b

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Huggyu2 said:
Fury is correct: the spelling/grammatical errors are pretty heinous, and always have been. You really do need to work on it.

Fury: remember, FAIPs are hand picked.... like a booger! (I can say that since I was a -38 FAIP too ;) When do you convert to the C-model?

It's looking like sometime around the end of this year or the beginning of 2006. The 88FTS (IFF here at KSPS) gets the C's first, and then the 90FTS (Phase III ENJJPT) will start to phase them in.

But the REAL upgrade I want is the PMP mod. TOLD becomes almost no factor in heat/high pressure altitudes. That'll make it much easier to hit up Vegas and stuff.

Fury220 said:
It's looking like sometime around the end of this year or the beginning of 2006. The 88FTS (IFF here at KSPS) gets the C's first, and then the 90FTS (Phase III ENJJPT) will start to phase them in.

But the REAL upgrade I want is the PMP mod. TOLD becomes almost no factor in heat/high pressure altitudes. That'll make it much easier to hit up Vegas and stuff.

You'll love the "C"...PMP or not. SA is totally enhanced. We just got block 4 mod. It looks like CBM is getting PMP last since we have a 12K runway so TOLD isn't really a factor. It would be nice to have for the trips west. Supposedly we're getting the Martin Baker seats first. That's suppose to happen next year, I think.
Laughlin is trying to "snake" the seats from us like they took the PMP.

A better seat? That's the first I've heard of such an upgrade. Details?

Fury220 said:
A better seat? That's the first I've heard of such an upgrade. Details?

Yep. Martin Baker was the rumored supplier. NASA jets have new seats and I think they're Martin Bakers. I've seen their set up and it looks good. I'd love not having to haul a 40lb chute out to the jet everyday (yes, we still walk out).

Last I heard the OG/CCs had to concur to the message but it had "Laughlin" instead of "Columbus" as the first base to get it. Supposedly our OG/CC non-concurred since AETC said we were to get it first. We'll see. Laughlin's OG/CC (at the time) whined about us getting the PMP after Moody IFF so they got the PMP instead of us...and rightly so since they go cat III all the time.

talondriver said:
Yep. Martin Baker was the rumored supplier. NASA jets have new seats and I think they're Martin Bakers. I've seen their set up and it looks good. I'd love not having to haul a 40lb chute out to the jet everyday (yes, we still walk out).

Last I heard the OG/CCs had to concur to the message but it had "Laughlin" instead of "Columbus" as the first base to get it. Supposedly our OG/CC non-concurred since AETC said we were to get it first. We'll see. Laughlin's OG/CC (at the time) whined about us getting the PMP after Moody IFF so they got the PMP instead of us...and rightly so since they go cat III all the time.

That's totally sweet -- integrated 'chutes. I doubt I'll see it here at Sheppard for a while. Probably not during my tour here as a FAIP. I actually doubt that I'll see the PMP.

On that note, why would Moody IFF get the PMP first? That makes little sense to me, as they rarely go XC. That is, unless the mod offers a degree of durability and lowers the chances of compressor stalls. I dunno...

Questions and comments:
- I got a backseat sortie in a C-model at Moody. I loved the PMP, but the glass stuff seemed overkill for non-IFF training. I don't know that it really enhances that much. Plus, I hear that students are trained to land using the flight path marker now, and that landing without the HUD (like you do in the A model) is some sort of "special syllabus requirement" that students only do a few times. Comments?
- How would you like to fly an A-model with PMP? Seems like it would be a rock-and-roll sports car, with the higher thrust, and a weight lower than a C-model (BTW, what's the C weigh?) Do non-IFF pilots really need the glass?
- I saw the NASA jets 3 years ago. The seat had little padding, and felt like sitting on concrete. It looked like one of the canopies (the front, I think) used det cord, but the rear canopy still came off via the conventional method. The det cord makes it a 0/0 seat since there's no issue any more with canopy separation below 50 KIAS.
- What are the integration issues with the C-model? What I mean is, day-to-day, what mx pains do you get: cockpit displays freezing up? Poor intercom or radios? etc...

I have almost 1500 hrs in the "A" but I prefer the "C". There was an initial resistance to using the magic by old "white jet" retired civilians and generals ("back in the ol' days" mentality) at AETC syllabus staff...but the customer thing prevailed. AETC is starting to think F-22 and beyond. We use the F-16 HUD symbology but have the option of switching to mil standard (F-22). We still require students to show proficiency in "pie in the sky" and "pencil method" and other ol' skool maneuvers but we can assess their performance accurately instead of hoping we're not violated. We can call up HSD mode (horizontal sit display) on the MFD and have the areas set up. There is no excuse for busting out of the area now. HOTAS was incorporated, we have UHF and VHF, EGI/INS etc. etc. Does aiming at the overrun vs. putting the thing on the threshold make a better pilot? I don't think so. Yes, there is a requirement for HUD off landings both normal and EP. It's even a requirement on the contact check. A lot of the young IPs are coming back from the CAF and we don't hear a lot of complaints (if any) from them about the current training...and these guys just fought in the war. Remember, our only customer in the '38 world is IFF (and sometimes bomber RTU) so we're training to their needs...or trying to.

You should see how we go "extended trail" nowadays :D .

Last edited:
psysicx said:
Huggy how often are the T-38 flights are RON's?

As far as I'm concerned, that's not even English.

To try to answer your question: Not many. One 4 or 5 hop XC weekend per student is a part of the syllabus here at KSPS.

Proofreading > you.

Latest resources

Back