• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWAC or Colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
5 to 7 MELS? This dude is on crack. At most I have flown with 3 the worst being MEL Lav and Synchrophazer (SP?). If you can MEL it than its not that big of a deal. Man kid go fly cargo and see what types of crap your allowed to fly with broken: Left Engine Inop, O well! hahahah

Welcome to the real world out of flying singles from a 141 school.

I worked at Colgan for almost 6 years, less than 1 as FO. I was never yelled at to fly a broken plane. If you can back yourself with facts then you are ok. If you are just being a pssy then you will probably be pushed. 5-6 MELs on every plane. Nope. Sometimes though. Usually all backlights. And I lived at my base for three years and probably got stuck away 1 or 2 times a year for mx. Anything is what you make it. Doesn't matter where you are aeroplanes break (which makes commuting suck more than working). Get over it and grow up.

I was never pushed to fly a broken plane either.

Colgan is horrible, I block 85+ hours a month, have four day weekends EVERY week, work with good poeple and fly aircraft with a MEL now and then...its hell

Stupid March bidlines! I have to have weekends off and block 87 hours. I am quitting and going to Awac I want to sit reserve and work weekends

Wow,

Interesting reads! I'll throw this out there: I'm based at one of Colgan's Mx bases and I flew a plane a cpl weeks ago with 6 MELs. Were they dire MELs? Absolutely not! I forget what they were, backlighting, a recirc fan, and an overhead bin I think... BFD! Some people might complain about that, but I'm not one of 'em. I'm obviously an F/O, but have never heard of any intimidation to fly a "broken" plane. Also, I flew b/w two of our Mx bases the other day with c-l-e-a-n/MEL-free airplanes.

That being said, AWAC is a great place, I've heard. A former student of mine wants to work there and asked me for a letter of recommendation. I happily wrote him one; I hope he gets the job. I'm from the Mid-Atlantic area and Colgan and AWAC would be the airlines I'd check out if I was a CFI all over again. To each his own.

I love the Saab, have great instrument skills, sleep in my bed 98% of the time, and really enjoy the people I work with. That's important to me. What's also important to me is getting PIC time and getting into a Boeing, Airbus, or Mad Dog sooner rather than later. I do not subscribe to the "go to a place where you could see yourself for 12 years" mentality. Some people might, and great for them.

I forget who started this thread, but whoever you are, good luck. I think you'll be happy at either AWAC or Colgan. Both are great places to work, but if you have a tough time choosing, flip a coin. If it lands for Colgan, I'll see ya on the line.

Snaab

P.S. The people who don't sound like they're 11 years old on this thread do bring up some valid points about both places, btw. To all the 11-year-old whiz kids who bitch about an MEL: get a life, go back to 'Riddle, hope I never fly with you.

Last edited:
If you choose Colgan, make sure those ailerons and elevators move inthe right direction.

MX is pretty over-worked and on occasion get things crossed.

Maybe examine the accident history of both airlines to get a better idea. (Hint: start with Colgan's first)

GEORGE DUBYA said:
You don't even work for Colgan so what do you know? Colgan is a great place.

I have worked for Colgan, and sir you are wrong in saying it's a "great" place.

I will say that I have not had any problems working at Colgan as far as MX and other items. I never seen or heard someone being yelled at to fly a broken airplane. The work rules are not something to be proud of. They will try and make you work as much as possible. There is reserve still there when based in IAH. They will make you sit from 9am and cancel 4 legs of flights and fly 1 more to an overnight with no pay guarantee. Things can be crappy, but then again... they can be anywhere.

AWAC is your better choice by far for companies that take care of you. At least at AWAC you get paid while you sit. So most schedules will not have you sit at all. Someone mentioned sitting reserve. For the lucky ones that got hired on from the past month and previous... reserve is non-exsistent in a few bases. But you will not sit too long. Things will be slowing down in hiring though after the BAE's stop service I believe.

Good luck on your choice.

Last edited:
flyupder said:
I have worked for Colgan, and sir you are wrong. It is not a great place. AWAC is your better choice by far for companies that take care of you. Plus the duty rigs are awesome.

What do you mean I am wrong? I think it is a great place. They have taken care of me so far. Duty regs are for flight attendants and embry riddle graduates. So what big deal. Sometimes I work in double digit hours. It builds character. I work hard and play hard. I eat raw meat and piss heinken in my off hours. I am not afraid to get my fingernails dirty. THey only thing I would be concerned about its the upgrade time at AWAC. That is a long time. I think I am gong to get a Colgan tattoo. I am a lifer.

Latest resources

Back