AWAC or Colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

46Pilot

Here we go gents. I’ve narrowed down my top 2 preferences as AWAC or Colgan and would like to get some thoughts on both. I would like to get personal experiences here, please leave the uninformed rants for elsewhere.

And yes, whichever one hires me is the best, I know. I have already received a call from Colgan and someone has walked my resume into management at AWAC, so both are a possibility. I have submitted to other places as well, would just like to have as much info as I can before I would have to make a decision, if I could be so lucky.

I am getting out of the military in a few months and I have 400 Turbine Multi and 1900 Total, the rest is helo time. So, I really only have quals for the regionals at this time. I am looking for the quickest way to Turbine PIC, as is everyone else, with some QOL thrown in. So that is why Colgan would be my 1st choice, for the quick upgrade and they seem to take care of their employees. Everything I have heard about AWAC is good and it seems upgrade time may be coming down and this may be the time to get on with them.

And yes, I have spent hours on here reading all of the other posts about both, but you can never have too much info for a decision like this.

What do you all think?! Thanks ahead for your time and input.

46Pilot said:
So that is why Colgan would be my 1st choice, for the quick upgrade and they seem to take care of their employees..

hehehe......i laugh at the "take care of their employees" part.......the only thing I can recommend is to live where you are based. If you're willing to commute or move (the process is hell in either case), then I'd take AWAC....they've always taken care of their employees a lot better than Colgan has or ever will.........I also advise you not to chase upgrade times.....things in this industry change on an hourly basis....one day the upgrade time can be 2 months, the next morning it could be 12 years......find someplace you'd be happy at if you had to stay there for a long time (hint: Colgan probably isn't it, but ask around) :pimp:

46Pilot said:
Here we go gents. I’ve narrowed down my top 2 preferences as AWAC or Colgan and would like to get some thoughts on both. I would like to get personal experiences here, please leave the uninformed rants for elsewhere.

And yes, whichever one hires me is the best, I know. I have already received a call from Colgan and someone has walked my resume into management at AWAC, so both are a possibility. I have submitted to other places as well, would just like to have as much info as I can before I would have to make a decision, if I could be so lucky.

I am getting out of the military in a few months and I have 400 Turbine Multi and 1900 Total, the rest is helo time. So, I really only have quals for the regionals at this time. I am looking for the quickest way to Turbine PIC, as is everyone else, with some QOL thrown in. So that is why Colgan would be my 1st choice, for the quick upgrade and they seem to take care of their employees. Everything I have heard about AWAC is good and it seems upgrade time may be coming down and this may be the time to get on with them.

And yes, I have spent hours on here reading all of the other posts about both, but you can never have too much info for a decision like this.

What do you all think?! Thanks ahead for your time and input.

I've been here at Culligan for 7 years now and can't really complain. I'm out on medical for a while and so far the insurance bennies have been a BIG help. Like all the other places you go to everyone has a gripe about this and that....so take your pick...Cheese Air is a great place too.

Is this question a joke? One of the top regionals to work for or a battered pilots shelter. AWAC duhhh.....there is a reason AWAC is full of former Colgan pilots.

jws717 said:
Is this question a joke? One of the top regionals to work for or a battered pilots shelter. AWAC duhhh.....there is a reason AWAC is full of former Colgan pilots.

Well, AWAC may be full of former Colgan FOs... It's all a matter of what you want. If you're okay with staying at a regional for the next 6-10 years (even if it's a very good regional), then definitely go with AWAC. I've heard lots of good things from people I know that worked there.

If you're willing to put up with an admittedly lower quality of life, Colgan is a very good "stepping stone," if that's what you're after. With your military experience, you'd upgrade quickly at Colgan and then have a very good shot at moving on to something like AirTran, UPS, Fedex or CAL after 3-4 years.

Good luck in your decision!

cpierse said:
If you're okay with staying at a regional for the next 6-10 years (even if it's a very good regional), then definitely go with AWAC...Colgan is a very good "stepping stone," if that's what you're after.
I agree. You go to a regional to move on to bigger and better, not to hang for a long time. Upgrade at AWAC will be dropping a bit, but then will rapidly skyrocket as the attrition slows to a trickle later on in the summer IMO. Also, no growth will happen as our costs are just too $$ (management had to "invest" in US Air to place our RJ's). I am hoping we get the old contract back because it has a much improved payscale for F/O's second year and up...

Colgan will always have a much quicker upgrade than AWAC. You can go there to get your time quickly and move on - if I was in your position (ex-military) that's probably what I would do too. I was just tired of constantly rushing out for the next best thing and wanted a place to hang for awhile...

~wheelsup

George Dubya is the biggest tool on this board . . . don't listen to him - I worked for Colgan - go to AWAC. Seriously, when you see the maintenance on those planes, you are taking your life in your hands.

46Pilot,

I can't speak to how good or bad Colgan is, but AWAC is not a bad place, we're just going through alot right now.

Something to keep in mind is how valuable is the time? As an example, if your goal is to get to SWA or JB, they are going to want to see at least 1000hrs in an aircraft with a MGTW of greater than 20,000lbs (and SWA wants it as PIC!). Now don't jump on me for this (I've never flown the SAAB), but is the 340 over 20K? (I honestly don't know). The jet time is also valuable, but so is the PIC in the 340.

I think the two most important points are 1)Where do you want to live and 2)Where do you want to go in a few years? The answers to these 2 questions should make your decision for you.

Rekks

Rekks Inbound said:
As an example, if your goal is to get to SWA or JB, they are going to want to see at least 1000hrs in an aircraft with a MGTW of greater than 20,000lbs (and SWA wants it as PIC!).

JetBlue is the only carrier I know of that wants 1000 hours in something 20,000 pounds or heavier. SWA has no such requirement, and I assure you that plenty of guys have gone from a 1900 right to Southwest. Yes, they want 1000 turbine PIC, but they don't care if it's Part 121 (as AirTran does), nor if it's >20K (as JetBlue does).

And yes, the Saab is heavier than 20,000 pounds.

Latest resources

Back