AWAC or Colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rekks Inbound said:
at least 1000hrs in an aircraft with a MGTW of greater than 20,000lbs (and SWA wants it as PIC!). Now don't jump on me for this (I've never flown the SAAB), but is the 340 over

SWA has no such requirement.

Plus, the SAAB is up in the mid-30's I think.

~wheelsup

I stand corrected.

Rekks

Don't assume just because you got a call from Colgan you will get hired. I've seen 52 interview and only 8 get hired. Its all in the attitude were ever you go.

"AWAC or Colgan "

you're kidding, right? I really hope this is a joke.

if you care about pay, work rules, or quality of life....well if you can't figure it out...

and yes, I can say I have been employed by both companies.

Go to the Colgan website, (www.colganair.com) and look at the crew bases. They're all over the northwest, from Norfolk to Presque Isle, Hyannis to Johnstown. You'll be home every night, have around 12 days off a month, and upgrade in 12-14 months. The pay isn't so great, pulled down a little over 16k in 9 months last year, but I've had a great time. There are bad days, but for the most part, it's an enjoyable job. Get to know, and kiss-up to, the crew schedulers. They're cool to begin with, so it's not hard.

Saab 340A MGTOW: 28,000
Saab 340B MGTOW: 29,000

I've got nothing on AWAC because I don't work there.

For the bashers, try to contain your rage for a long enough period of time to articulate yourselves. You're making yourselves out to be idiots. I have had a few problems with MX, but nothing more than anywhere else, I'm sure. I guess this is a b|tch board, so people vent (as I have in the past), so I shouldn't be surprised by some of the comments.

Final assesment--
AWAC: Long Term Company
Colgan: Stepping Stone

Shy

ShyFlyGuy said:
Go to the Colgan website, (www.colganair.com) and look at the crew bases. They're all over the northwest, from Norfolk to Presque Isle, Hyannis to Johnstown. You'll be home every night, have around 12 days off a month, and upgrade in 12-14 months. The pay isn't so great, pulled down a little over 16k in 9 months last year, but I've had a great time. There are bad days, but for the most part, it's an enjoyable job. Get to know, and kiss-up to, the crew schedulers. They're cool to begin with, so it's not hard.

Saab 340A MGTOW: 28,000
Saab 340B MGTOW: 29,000

I've got nothing on AWAC because I don't work there.

For the bashers, try to contain your rage for a long enough period of time to articulate yourselves. You're making yourselves out to be idiots. I have had a few problems with MX, but nothing more than anywhere else, I'm sure. I guess this is a b|tch board, so people vent (as I have in the past), so I shouldn't be surprised by some of the comments.

Final assesment--
AWAC: Long Term Company
Colgan: Stepping Stone

Shy

Exactly........

To George Dubya:

I don't work at Colgan, you're right. But I know many people that do, and have worked there. When they tell me stories about how the company wants them to fly broken airplanes and yells (literally) at them for not doing it, I don't want to be anywhere near their operation, much less in the friggen cockpit. To each his own, but maintenance is a big part of what we do....if I die, so what, but the 30 people in the back would sure appreciate that the people in the front are watching out for them and not management's bottom dollar.....

pwesterb2000 said:
"AWAC or Colgan "

you're kidding, right? I really hope this is a joke.

if you care about pay, work rules, or quality of life....well if you can't figure it out...

and yes, I can say I have been employed by both companies.

I interviewed at ACA and colgan 3 years ago. 2800+ turbine, 1600+ turbine PIC, 2 type ratings, a checkairman, 300 hours MD80, and zero furloughs later....... I am sure glad the company with the better work rules and jets wasn't the place I went to. Some luck was involved though too of course. What did everyone say back then: "go to ACA, go to ACA, UAL is in better shape then USair, ACA is a great company"

Go to the crappiest regional you can find with the quickest 'jet' upgrade....that seems to be the trend anymore. You will only have to deal with those workrules until you move on to FedEx right?

Thanks for all the info gents, those that aren't ranting anyway.

And no, it's not a joke. I do want to move on to bigger and better things and the quicker way to upgrade seems to make the most sense to me. Yes, everything can change tomorrow, but we have to look at all the info we have now and make our decision based on that info. If things change, there's nothing you can do about that. What, should we sit at home scared to make a decision because things MAY change tomorrow? Well, some may, but not me. I'm trying to weigh all options and make the best decision I can today to set myself up for the best tomorrow.

And I know a call back is not a guarantee hire, I in no way think that. I still have to get the job. I don't think I am hired yet, just trying to get all of the info I can beforehand. This may all be "water under the bridge" as the only place that hires me is Great Lakes. Again, just trying to educate myself.

Thanks again for all your input.

Latest resources

Back